Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW-TO 1.1.3 Jailbreak] w/ everything working (AT&T)

Can anyone tell me if this method allows anyone with an AT&T sim card to use it, like a 1.1.2 jailbroken phone? I see it says at the end of the guide that you need to activate via iTunes, which I do NOT want to do..... Thanks guys!!

question...

My History
    i updated to 1.1.3 for the new baseband and my backup stored, downgraded to 1.1.1 - jailbroke it, upgraded to 1.1.2 jailbroke it, updated to 1.1.3 jailbroken.

can i restore from my backup of data or will this ruin my last 2 hours of work and give me all my contacts, notes, pics, etc but no jailbreak?

Well, this method finally worked. I tried the Dev Team jailbreak on a 1.1.2 jailbroken (escaped?) phone last night and the installer hung at 75% with a swirly icon. I rebooted and all seemed well, but I had no wi-fi at all. I reinstalled BSD, reinstalled some apps, and went to reboot the phone. It came back up in recovery mode and wouldn't snap out of it. I downgraded to 1.1.1, but had no service. Like zero height bars and no carrier logo. I then updated to 1.1.3 and had a stock vanilla Steve Jobs approved iPhone...zzzzz
    So...I gave it one more shot and followed these instruction to the t and it worked. There were a couple spots that could have been a bit more clear and comforting, but overall very nicely written guide. Just be patient while iBrickr 1.1.3 is doing its thing, and also follow all of the instructions that it gives you at the end, including the stuff to do with installer, before you move to the next step. And you'll be seeing that Bad SIM message more than the author mentions. It'll be there off and on, until you're done at the end.

i believe it works for unlocked phones, which would say to me you can bypass the activation somehow. I have att sim too, but i dont mind it activating on its own

This guide worked perfectly once I remembered the difference between what a DFU restore looked like and a regular restore mode.

Anyways, it worked great for like the first 30 minutes. After that, the signal started to diminish. I did it last night too by the way. When I woke up this morning, the signal was there but not as great as it had been. Around 9 o'clock AM my signal was completely gone. I tried resetting my network settings and that seemed to work for a few minutes, then it died again. Finally, the signal died all together. I couldn't make a single phone call. After resetting the network settings again, same problem. No calls period.

I got so fed up I just did DFU restore to 1.1.3 and called it quits.

Now I'm wishing I would have never done it in the first place. I want my 1.1.2 OTB jailbroken phone back. :-(
    Last edited by EffeXTC; 2008-01-29 at 02:24 AM.
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.3 Jailbroken

If I helped you out any, please Thank me!

Quote Originally Posted by EffeXTC View Post
    This guide worked perfectly once I remembered the difference between what a DFU restore looked like and a regular restore mode.

Anyways, it worked great for like the first 30 minutes. After that, the signal started to diminish. I did it last night too by the way. When I woke up this morning, the signal was there but not as great as it had been. Around 9 o'clock AM my signal was completely gone. I tried resetting my network settings and that seemed to work for a few minutes, then it died again. Finally, the signal died all together. I couldn't make a single phone call. After resetting the network settings again, same problem. No calls period.

I got so fed up I just did DFU restore to 1.1.3 and called it quits.

Now I'm wishing I would have never done it in the first place. I want my 1.1.2 OTB jailbroken phone back. :-(
    hmm...seems like another signal related issue. Anybody else who has successfully done this method, can you guys confirm whether you are also having signal issues?

What exactly is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by chiperten View Post
    What exactly is the difference?
    DFU restore: iPhone is on and plugged into iTunes. Hold down power and home buttons until it shuts down and you hear the disconnect sound in Windows. Then, let go of the power button BUT keep holding the home button down (for ever it feels like). The screen should stay black but iTunes will recognize the iPhone being in DFU restore mode.

Restore mode: (I can't really remember if this is what I did) iPhone is on and plugged in to iTunes. Hold down the power and home buttons till it shuts down and you hear the disconnect sound. Once you see the Apple logo, release the home AND power button. You should the see the iTunes logo and the plug.

That should be the difference. The second one might be wrong by a hair but I was getting there by accident.

Knowing the difference is what solved the "unknown error (1)" during the downgrade to 1.1.1.
    Last edited by EffeXTC; 2008-01-29 at 03:55 AM.
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.3 Jailbroken

If I helped you out any, please Thank me!

Yay! fifth time is yet again a failure. I do everything exactly as stated in the tutorial and in the end I have the connect to itunes screen on my phone and the activation prompts on itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by ritualdevice View Post
    And you'll be seeing that Bad SIM message more than the author mentions. It'll be there off and on, until you're done at the end.
    very true. OP, you might want to edit to let people know to not freak out when it says bad sim up to the 1.1.3 Nate update.

FYI........................

PSYBERT says that this method does NOT work UNLESS you activate via Itunes after completion of the guide. So basically this jailbreak is just to add third party apps to the 1.1.3 firmware. SOOOOOO... According to Psy, if you never activated with Itunes and DO NOT have an AT&T iPhone account, do not use this method UNLESS you want the iPhone plan from AT&T and the extra $20 a month data plan!

If anyone has info or experience otherwise, PLEASE let me know!!! Thanks Guys!!!!

MikeNoecker

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default backup files in iTunes
    How do you backup files in iTunes (does this happen automatically when you sync or do you need to do something special)?

In step 7 how do you do the restore from backup (do you just click yes when the question is asked or do you have to do something else?)

Everything else I think I know what I am doing, but want to confirm these couple of things before I do this.

Thanks for the help.

SORRY FOR THE 2 POSTS HERE FELLAS! MY COMPUTER LOST CONNECTION ON THE FIRST ONE AND I THOUGHT IT GOT DELETED!!!!

FYI..............

According to Psybert (author of this thread), this method only works IF you activate via iTunes at the end of the process. I have an iPhone WITH AT&T, but no contract through iTunes with my 1.1.2 Jailbroke phone. SOOOOO......... I cannot use this method UNLESS I choose to pay the $20 a month data plan price, get a 2year contract, AND pay the $18 activation fee. Am I correct on this??? Please someone let me know if they have the same thoughts as me on this.........

Thanks Guys!!!!
    MikeNoecker
    Last edited by mikenoecker; 2008-01-29 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Double Post

Well, 2 hours was about right... Followed the directions exactly and worked great! Ran into a hickup on the 1.1.1 FW downgrade, took a couple extra restores to 1.1.1, but all is well. Thanks again for the great step by step guide.

edit: A little info about what I had...

Already activated AT&T and cleanly upgraded to 1.1.3
    1.1.2 OTB.
    4.6 Bootloader
    Windows XP

And as I said, had to do the 1.1.1 FW downgrade a couple extra times before iBrickr would give me a "red" go. I'll try and provide any other info about my setup if needed. I know someone was asking about the bootloader version.
    Last edited by Arcage; 2008-01-29 at 05:20 AM.

one question for you guys who were already at 1.1.3 (Nate True) when you started this. Did you guys do a restore at the point psybert said to do it or did you wait until the end. I almost feel like you have to wait since 1.1.3 backups are saved in a different format than 1.1.2 and lower backups, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikenoecker View Post
    FYI........................

PSYBERT says that this method does NOT work UNLESS you activate via Itunes after completion of the guide. So basically this jailbreak is just to add third party apps to the 1.1.3 firmware. SOOOOOO... According to Psy, if you never activated with Itunes and DO NOT have an AT&T iPhone account, do not use this method UNLESS you want the iPhone plan from AT&T and the extra $20 a month data plan!

If anyone has info or experience otherwise, PLEASE let me know!!! Thanks Guys!!!!

MikeNoecker
    I read the post numerous times over before and after trying this and thought since I didn't have to unlock my iphone before and I was using an at&t sim I was golden. He didn't say you'll have to activate via the itunes 2yr agreement process.

The final step says:
    "-Disconnect your phone, close iTunes, Reboot your phone.
    -Open iTunes and then connect your phone. iTunes should instantly activate your phone."

The word instantly made me think that I would instantly be activated and all set. I didn't know you needed to go through the itunes prompt. If this is the case it should be made clearer because obviously me and a few others are now screwed.

i had a signal problem very similar to effeXTC, its still going on and i can't fix it, my phones signal only works properly now on stock apple 1.1.3 firmware, such a pain =(

@chiperten just put in a faulty social security num and it will give u the option to use prepaid minutes, but if ur not using it w/ ATT and just as an ipod dtoucht hen it should work fine already? i don't really understand your situation...

Quote Originally Posted by chiperten View Post
    I read the post numerous times over before and after trying this and thought since I didn't have to unlock my iphone before and I was using an at&t sim I was golden. He didn't say you'll have to activate via the itunes 2yr agreement process.

The final step says:
    "-Disconnect your phone, close iTunes, Reboot your phone.
    -Open iTunes and then connect your phone. iTunes should instantly activate your phone."

The word instantly made me think that I would instantly be activated and all set. I didn't know you needed to go through the itunes prompt. If this is the case it should be made clearer because obviously me and a few others are now screwed.
    Okay. So you guys never activated through iTunes? What makes you think that you should use iTunes to activate now?

The guide says nothing about needing an iPhone tariff, only an AT&T tariff.

I have an OOB 1.1.2 running 1.1.3 with the new baseband, and now I can't make calls, the OP needs to change the first post so people realise, many people are doing the same as me because these posts aren't clear enough!

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast