Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Iphone Won't Start or Recover

Default Help! Iphone Won't Start or Recover
    I have a big problem and i am freaking out. I decided it would be cool to install a new app on my 1.1.4 jailbroken and unlocked iphone, well just my luck. I downloaded the summerboard mmi theme program and downloaded a couple of themes. I installed one then used it as my theme, but before switching my theme back i deleted that theme from the app. My phone just froze so i held the power off and home button and did a restart. Well, my phone wouldn't restart. It just stopped at the black screen with the silver apple with a spinwheel. I tried restarting it and so on. Finally i thought that i would just re unlock it using iliberty. I did that and nothing happened. Same screen as before. Then i thought about upgrading to the 2.0 firmware and using pwnage, but the just released 2.0.1 software showed up. Since there is no way of using 2.0.1 unlocked yet, i started to freak out. Since then i have tried everything. I tried downloading the 1.1.4 firmware and using option click to recover, but when i do that none of the files are openable(excuse my grammar). I literally can't open the firmware file, so i tried regular recovery mode and dfu mode. NOTHING WORKS!!! Please help!!!!!!

I believe I've had that happen. You may need to restore; if you have the 1.1.1 firmware, try to restore to that, just shift click restore when it's hooked up to iTunes and browse for that firmware. Upgrading may not work. If you don't have the 1.1.1 firmware, either download it or restore to a different firmware if you don't care as much about re-jailbreaking it.

So, I have a similar problem. I had the first gen 8 GB iphone with upgraded 2.0 firmware and unlocked, jailbroken using pwnage. Everything worked great, no problems....until I go to erase phone for resale. It took forever to do, and once I thought it was done....the reload screen showed up with the apple logo and spinning wheel. this is all it does. I tried resetting using the sleep and home keys, nothing. Same thing over and over. My itunes won't even recognize that there is an iphone plugged in the USB. Its that bad. I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help? I just tried reinstalling itunes, hopefully that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by YtimK1 View Post
    So, I have a similar problem. I had the first gen 8 GB iphone with upgraded 2.0 firmware and unlocked, jailbroken using pwnage. Everything worked great, no problems....until I go to erase phone for resale. It took forever to do, and once I thought it was done....the reload screen showed up with the apple logo and spinning wheel. this is all it does. I tried resetting using the sleep and home keys, nothing. Same thing over and over. My itunes won't even recognize that there is an iphone plugged in the USB. Its that bad. I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help? I just tried reinstalling itunes, hopefully that will work.
    Let me know what you do to fix this, I have this same problem and cannot find a fix to it.

I still can't find out how to fix it, last night i left it on while the logo screen spun around and around, hoping that it would fix itself. No luck. The battery just died. I am not sure what to do next, dare I take it into AT&T and see if they can restore it for me? Or do I call apple? I don't get what more I can possibly do

Hey - I had the same problem too! I was able to get my computer to see my iPhone by putting it into recovery or DFU mode. Check out this guide that will show you how to do it. DFU Mode - iPhone News & Review after that I used winpwn to restore my iPhone following these steps Winpwn 2.0 Guide - iPhone News & Review. I hope this helps you!

Exclamation How to iPhone - iPod Touch recovery (DFU) mode
    I will try to explain how to put your iPhone or iPod Touch on recovery mode (DFU).

1. Connect your iPhone/iTouch on the USB cable.
    2. Leave iTunes opened.
    3. With your unit turned ON, press and HOLD the power button for 5 seconds.
    4. After counting to 5, KEEP power button pressed AND press and HOLD the *Square* button for another 10 seconds (so now you have both power and square buttons pressed) - note: it's another 10 seconds, so you start over counting.
    5. After counting to 10, let it go on power button, but keep square button pressed as long as it takes until you see that iTunes recognized your unit and starts the recovery.

I hope it helps.

Peace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rcarmin For This Useful Post:

danarose (2011-07-03)

Red face It works!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarmin View Post
    I will try to explain how to put your iPhone or iPod Touch on recovery mode (DFU).

1. Connect your iPhone/iTouch on the USB cable.
    2. Leave iTunes opened.
    3. With your unit turned ON, press and HOLD the power button for 5 seconds.
    4. After counting to 5, KEEP power button pressed AND press and HOLD the *Square* button for another 10 seconds (so now you have both power and square buttons pressed) - note: it's another 10 seconds, so you start over counting.
    5. After counting to 10, let it go on power button, but keep square button pressed as long as it takes until you see that iTunes recognized your unit and starts the recovery.

I hope it helps.

Peace
    thanks a lot!! it really helps me with my iphone, now I can use it!!