Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Totally bricked Iphone. Help!

Default Totally bricked Iphone. Help!
    I have a first generation iphone that is stuck in recovery mode (the itunes logo with usb cable). I believe the firmware on my iphone is 2.0, although I am not sure. I have tried all type of restores on itunes and have gotten several different numbers on "unknown errors" (mostly errors in the 1600s). I have tried restoring to stock 2.0 software on itunes 7.7 (error 1604 or 1603), I have also tried the shift-click restores (in DFU mode) to firmwares 1.1.4, 2.0, custom 2.0 and always end up with error in itunes. I have tried installing itunes 7.5 and downgrading to 1.1.4, when I try to to restore to 1.1.4 ( itunes 7.5 in dfu mode) the itunes screens gets stuck in the part where it says "restoring iphone firmware" and the iphone screen gets stuck on the screen with the apple logo and the loader on the bottom. I am then forced to disconnect my iphone from itunes and hold down the power and home button for 10 seconds... the iphone will the go back to the screen with the itunes logo and usb cord. I have spent the last 3 days trying to restore my iphone with no success, at this point I beleive my iphone is totally bricked because it will not restore to any firmware in itunes.

I would highly appreciate any ideas to try and get back my iphone. Thanks in advance.

heres one solution, DO NOT DISCONNET your phone from itunes til it throws an error or completes, i almost went thru the same, i thought it was stuck when it was actually working.......it does take some time, and sometimes quite a long time, and for unknown reasons

if your getting error 16xx thats bad, youll need to try restore yet again, if you have tried everything, try another computer

btw to tell if you have 2.0 or 1.1.4 and less:

1.1.4 or less=the connect to itunes cable displyed on the phone looks like the usb part connected to the iphone

2.0=looks like the end of the usb that connects to computer

I tried to restore to 2.0 and it gave me a 16xx error once again. I have tried to restore on on 3 different computers (dfu mode and non-dfu mode) and everytime I get the dreaded 16xx error.

However in recovery mode the itunes cable looks like the usb cord that is connected to my iphone. Does this really mean I have 1.1.4 firmware? If so can i just unlock/jailbreak/activate with ziphone? ( remember my screen is stuck in recovery mode)

Quote Originally Posted by dino2620 View Post
    I tried to restore to 2.0 and it gave me a 16xx error once again. I have tried to restore on on 3 different computers (dfu mode and non-dfu mode) and everytime I get the dreaded 16xx error.

However in recovery mode the itunes cable looks like the usb cord that is connected to my iphone. Does this really mean I have 1.1.4 firmware? If so can i just unlock/jailbreak/activate with ziphone? ( remember my screen is stuck in recovery mode)

yea thats why ur getting an error, your trying to restore 1.1.4 with 2.0 software, which makes no sense because itunes should update, not over write, lol, but anyways, put the phone in dfu mode, or in any mode to where itunes can reg. it, then restore with 1.1.4 software, phone may take some time, but remember dont do anything til either the phone or itunes says something, if after the restore u still get the itunes screen, then use ziphone to kick it into normal mode and see if anything happens