Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I Restore My Iphone After itís Been Jailbroken?

Default Can I Restore My Iphone After itís Been Jailbroken?
    I have an account with ATT, and all I want to do is install some additional applications and modify my Iphone. I am currently running the latest OS version (1.1.3) I understand that at the moment I will have to downgrade my version to install Jailbrake and modify it.

My questions is, is the Iphone OS like an operating system? For example like windows XP? I just want to make sure that if I do modify my phoneís software, I can always go back and install or format my Iphone to the latest original software with no problem.

Thanks
    Alex

Yes, if you do a restore via iTunes it will restore to the new firmware. (In turn, erasing the jailbreak and any third party applications.) But restoring and activating fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to musick For This Useful Post:

hogcia (2008-01-26)

Jncominco2
    You can always restore once you jailbreak, yes.
    Software mods can always be changed back.
    Are you OTB 1.1.3 or just running 1.1.3?
    Last edited by Jncominco2; 2008-01-23 at 06:54 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jncominco2 For This Useful Post:

hogcia (2008-01-26)

HI!

So if I have a 1.1.2 (not OTB) JAILBROKEN ONLY, I can get the new 1.1.3 upgrade without re-virginizing the phone?

All the 1.1.3 firmware upgrade will do is remove installer.app and my phone will no longer be jailbroken?

My situation is that I bought a used iPhone from eBay and after researching on here , I found out that since I ad AT&T, all I had to do was jailbreak instead of unlocking it. This way I could skip the $20 a month AT&T plan and not have to activate Via iTunes.

Basically, I CAN upgrade without bricking the phone, I will just not be able to use it, UNLESS I activate via AT&T, OR wait for a jailbreak to 1.1.3..... Am I correct on all of this?

Thanks Guys!!!

Jncominco2
    I don't really understand your question.
    How is jailbreaking going to save you $20 a month if you have AT&T?
    And why would you want to upgrade to 1.1.3?
    Do you not want to have third party apps installed on your phone?

AT&T DEMANDS that you have the $20 a month data plan if you have an iPhone activated through them (iTunes). We only use internet at home, work, and campground, and we have WiFi at all 3 spots, so it's a waste to pay the $20 a month data plan for us.

I do NOT want to upgrade to 1.1.3 right now.... I just want to know IF I need to downgrade before doing the jump to 1.1.3 WHEN I do. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for that info musick.

Anyone know of a program I can use to backup all my contacts? Can itunes do this for me? I donít want to manually type all my phone numbers again.

Jncominco2 I am just running 1.1.3 at the moment, I wonder why you ask?

Mike if you got the phone from eBay then I guess you are not obligated to buy the $20 Dollar internet plan. My understanding is that you must buy the internet plan for at least six months if youíre under the 2 year contract with att, but I am not 100%.

Thanks for your help

iPhone? More like MyPhone abujala's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 1.1.3 at&t
    hey

i got a old iphone never been unlocked \only used with A&T

also never done jailbreak , untill now!

i downgrage to 1.1.1 and i do the 1.1.3 upgrade for mac it downloads firmware ,,,,,and tells me about 2min ...but done in like 10 sec

tells me to go to installer and thats done in 1 min

something isnt right

any help!
    2.1 T-mobile
    MAC OSX

You CAN restore you phone WITHOUT losing the jailbreak. All it is restoring is personal preferences, music, photos, bookmarks, contacts, text messages, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boostin4hp View Post
    You CAN restore you phone WITHOUT losing the jailbreak. All it is restoring is personal preferences, music, photos, bookmarks, contacts, text messages, etc.
    No you can't. If you restore you lose everything on the phone.