Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneHome still works after 1.1.3 / Possible 1.1.3 workaround?

Default iPhoneHome still works after 1.1.3 / Possible 1.1.3 workaround?
    Did I just make a discovery or did everyone know this?

I upgraded to 1.1.3 from a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone. I just did the update and everything went smoothly. After I upgraded, out of habit, I just double tapped my home button to open an e-mail... and it worked! I set that up through iPhoneHome (http://iphone.dashbuster.com/iphonehome.html).

Someone try this, use iPhoneHome and set something like XLaunch to open when you double tap then upgrade to 1.1.3.

Could it be possible that it would open XLaunch and then you could open your 3rd party apps?

wow, great idea!

Wow this is a great idea. I see no reason this wouldn't work. I noticed that the update didn't disable my custom carrier either. It must not replace the .plists associated with these two features. You can also restore from a backup that has these things and they will be usable again.

Does anyone know if iPhoneHome works on the iPod Touch?

Yeah, it should work fine. Let us know if you can actually get this to work. I just downgraded but I might actually upgrade again if this works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i upgraded already but i wonder if u have a hacked iphone and set install app as your home button and just upgrade..will installer run? someone should try that

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds good, might give it a shot!!

Thanks

Think about it for a second. 3rd party apps don't work on 1.1.3. Running an app is a lot different to clicking what is basically a shortcut button. Sure, the shortcut created by iPhoneHome will still be there on upgrading, but the app itself will not run unless it's digitally signed, or the firmware is jailbroken
    To live, you have to lie

Unhappy Did Not Work!!!
    Did not work with my jailbroken 1.1.2 iPhone bl 3.9.
    Installed iphonehome and xlaunch.
    Set doubletap to xlaunch and tested.
    Updated to 1.1.3 in iTunes 7.4.
    Doubletap did nothing.
    Under settings nothing was checked off as default.

The only reason I can see for this not working is that xlaunch is not a native app of the iPhone and email is. Hopefully there is some sort of exploit that can be uncovered here. Thanks for the idea, it was worth the challenge. I'm now going to try and follow the new instructions for downgrading back to 1.1.2 I'll let you know how it goes.

Trizzant

Edit: Got my phone back on 1.1.2 jailbroken and activated in less than 1 hour. Here's how:

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dow...1.1.3_to_1.1.1

Also great step-by-step video on how to get jailbreakme.com on an unactivated phone
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=xozxgrbgq2k"]YouTube - JAILBREAK Tutorial for iPhone Unlock -English Version[/ame]
    Last edited by trizzant; 2008-01-19 at 08:53 PM.

Well, after thinking about it, I realize that without a symlink this method would be impossible...

I plan to give the following a try when I get home:

1. downgrade to 1.1.1
    2. install oktoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2
    3. setup a symlink to the media folder (for the apps folder)
    4. install iphonehome and then xlaunch
    5. setup iphonehome to open xlaunch
    6. install some random apps, live.fm is my favorite
    7. upgrade to 1.1.3 and cross my fingers.

Of course, there is no guarantee this will work but it's worth the try.

Yeah, didn't work for me either. Installed iphonehome and set it to mobilefinder. Nothing launched on doubletap. Nothing was checked for the home button under settings. Back to the drawing board.

I put this in the other thread with this idea, but I'll restate it here. This won't work.

Here is why:
    1) There are two partitions on the Phone.
    2) The 300mb partition contains apps normally. This partition is *totally wiped clean* when you upgrade. Anything on this is erased and gone.
    3) you can move your apps to /private/var partition and they won't be erased. But this partition is mounted with noexec flag in fstab. That means that nothing can be executed from that partition without modifying fstab first (jailbreak).

Also, that sym link will be cleaned as well as it lives as a file in the / partition. It still wouldnt matter though since the noexec flag would ruin it even if the link wasnt wiped out.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

trizzant (2008-01-19)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    I put this in the other thread with this idea, but I'll restate it here. This won't work.

Here is why:
    1) There are two partitions on the Phone.
    2) The 300mb partition contains apps normally. This partition is *totally wiped clean* when you upgrade. Anything on this is erased and gone.
    3) you can move your apps to /private/var partition and they won't be erased. But this partition is mounted with noexec flag in fstab. That means that nothing can be executed from that partition without modifying fstab first (jailbreak).

Also, that sym link will be cleaned as well as it lives as a file in the / partition. It still wouldnt matter though since the noexec flag would ruin it even if the link wasnt wiped out.
    but wat if we set the double home button tap to bring to springboard from the normal phone settings, wont that survive the update and push u to the springboard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedy523 View Post
    but wat if we set the double home button tap to bring to springboard from the normal phone settings, wont that survive the update and push u to the springboard?
    It won't work. Didn't his explanation convince you?
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

My app reveal settings crossed over from 1.1.2 also......which is pretty cool....and before i try and read a thousand forums. Does the downgrade work from 1.1.3 back to the jailbroken 1.1.2 that i had before with att phone, or sim i mean.....never been unlocked

Yes, it works