Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UK O2 iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default UK O2 iPhone
    Hi all, first post in these forums so go easy!

Right, I live in the UK and I bought an iphone from the O2 shop. I didnt want to pay the 35 minimum tariff because of the rubbish text/call bundle. I wanted to keep my existing O2 sim card which is again 35 a month but with 1000 mins & texts.

So I downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroke my phone and the upgraded to 1.1.2. This enabled me to use my own O2 sim in the phone. My phone will only use O2 simcards as it is not unlocked. Can someone please explain to me why I was not able to use my own O2 sim before downgrade, jailbreak and upgrade?

My second question is I would like to upgrade to 1.1.3. After upgrading would I still be able to use my own O2 sim card or will I be bound once again to the O2 contarct sim that was supplied with the phone?

thanks in advance,

Matt

hi matt, i am in the uk and on a 02 1.1.2 jailbroken unit too.

to answer your first point, i know not of the technicalities involved, but basically the process we/you went through removes the initial hardwired apple restrictions on another sim being used.

second point, if you upgrade to 1.1.3 you will not be able to use your own 02 sim in it.

it would be useless to you in terms of a cell phone.

this is again, because the jailbreak / unlocking process hasnt been done. so again, it would revert to an apple out of the box state and only accept and use its own sim and legit activation through itunes.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quaddy For This Useful Post:

msjones (2008-01-18)

Guys there are three main steps involved in hacking your iphone as follows

1. Activate: Bypassing activation, means you dont need to use iTunes to activate and you can use the phone with an authorised SIM eg. O2 or ATT.

2. Jailbreak: breaks the restriction on using apple signed apps and allows you to use thrid party apps on your phone.

3. Unlocking: breaks the restiction on using authorised SIM cards, an unlocked iphone can use any GSM SIM card.

1, 2 & 3 are achievable on software 1.1.1 or below

1,2 are achievable on 1.1.2 OTB

NONE are achievable on 1.1.3 yet,

So do not risk an upgrade to 1.1.3 or you will not be able to get past stage 1 and even an authorised carriers SIM will not work unless its the one that came with the phone and you sign up for the full apple/authorised carrier package through iTunes.
    Last edited by ericidle; 2008-01-18 at 02:54 PM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ericidle For This Useful Post:

msjones (2008-01-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bloody apple!

Well I had better be patient and wait for the jailbreak for 1.1.3. I dont want to pay the rediculous amounts O2 want for a contract when I have a good O2 contract with much more airtime!

Thanks alot for the quick replies!

Mj