Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Might have made a big mistake today.

Default Might have made a big mistake today.
    Well I might have made a big mistake today.I bought an iPhone today and the ad read"Brand New Apple iPhone 8GB - Unlocked".It looked brand new with the plastic still on the screen and in pristine condition.The guy said he only took it out of the box to jailbreak and unlock it.When I picked up the phone it already had the installer app on the screen and the guy showed me YouTube was working and wifi worked with no problem.I told the guy I was already an AT&T customer and I asked him if I just put my sim card it it would it work right away.His answer was yes,just put my AT&T sim card in the iPhone and I would be ready to go.Well I get home and put in my sim card and what do you know,it says NO SERVICE !!

After checking things out I found out it was originally a 1.1.2 firmware phone that he jailbroke and downgraded to the 1.1.1 firmware.The Modem Firmware says 04.02.13_G.So my question is this,is there a way to use the phone to make and receive calls with my current AT&T sim card without somehow activating the phone on itunes,and even if I do hook up to itunes is it going to mess the phone up??
    I searched the site and either I overlooked the answer I am looking for or I am just plain stupid.Sorry if I overlooked the answer.I guess this is what I get for trusting a strangers word.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fastv6; 2008-01-18 at 07:58 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i guess the main question is do you want it unlocked?

Thanks for the reply the sr5.

No all I want to do is be able to use it with my AT&T sim card without having to activate the phone.I don't care about having EDGE.I planned on using wifi whenever it was available.
    Last edited by fastv6; 2008-01-18 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks

Well i still dont see what it would be an issue to activate it if you have AT&T you just click the use current account option and nothing changes... it just activates the phone to the network and your itunes, but what i would do is i would try a full restore of the phone... you can find a link on the forum somewhere of a 1.1.2 or 1.1.1 firmware link... and once in itunes and the phone is connected you Shift+click on restore and select which FW you want it to restore to... and that should break the unlock and the jailbreak... but im sure you want the Jailbreak... so i would follow Sidetalkers post about jailbreaking 1.1.2 on windows guide.

I thought when you activate it through iTunes you have to choose a data plan which is $20.00 plus that adds on another 2 years to your contract.Am I wrong about this??

I also don't have the original iPhone sim which Sidetalker said you needed.
    Last edited by fastv6; 2008-01-18 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks

hmm, to be 100% honest i dont know, i bought the iphone and switched to AT&T so it added me to a new 2 year plan, but as far as i could remember it had an option to activate from existing account... the worst that could happen is you plug it in and go to activate and when or if it says it will extend your contract you click cancel and leave the activation screen... but if your already an AT&T customer and someone bought you it for christmas from the apple store (lets just say) i dont know how they could make you resign another two year contract haha... i would just jump on the phone and call them if you really want to know and just ask hey... my (girlfriend, wife, mom, sister, grandma, grandpa) who ever got you this as a gift and you dont want to sign a new two year contract and see what they say.. but as far as the jailbreak and unlock if you are an AT&T customer then i see no reason to have it unlocked, i would just restore it and put it back to stock by restoring, and maybe seach the forum for delete unlock and jailbreak, and follow the steps someone gives you, i personally havnt tried this so i cant say what to do and what not to do, but i have deleted all jailbreak information and brought my phone back to stock by just restoring it... im sure that sidetalker will pick this thread up and say a few words as he is the real god at this....

Well I hope Sidetalker can shed some light on the subject.All I want to do is use my current AT&T sim without having to activate through iTunes.I don't care if it's unlocked at all.I don't need EDGE and I don't text message at all.

Thanks again for your help the-sr5.

Thanks

there is one thing i could say that might help... if it is on 1.1.1 right now... hook up to a wifi connection and go to installer app and get the oktoprep 1.1.2 and then once thats done installing press the menu button, and it will take you back to the home screen then lock the phone, after that hold the menu and power button at the same time and keep holding it, the phone will reboot *keep holding the power and menu button* you will then see a usb cable and itunes icon on the screen once you see that the phone is in restore mode and itunes should notice it... download the 1.1.2 firmware *ill get the link* shift+click on restore a browse window will pop up go to where you saved the 1.1.2 fw file click and open it then the phone will restore to 1.1.2 and you should have service.

wait to be honest lets just get the phone working dont mind the oktoprep or anything lets just get the phone working... do a plan restore to 1.1.2 here is the link: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....b_Restore.ipsw

save that to your computer somewhere where you can find it then put the phone into restore mode (hold power and menu button) once the usb cable and itunes icon appears the phone is in restore mode then plug it into the computer and itunes will say that it found an iphone in restore mode and that you must restore the phone before you can do anything else... once again shift click on restore and open the 1.1.2 file.
    Last edited by the sr5; 2008-01-18 at 08:34 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you want the phone unlocked still just go to installer.app
    install oktoprep>update to 1.1.2> jailbreak 1.1.2 using the files (in our forums) and you are set. The problem is that the modem firmware of 1.1.2 won't work with phone firmware 1.1.1. If you don;t care about it being unlocked, just update straight to 1.1.3. You should have no issues then.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    install oktoprep>update to 1.1.2> jailbreak 1.1.2 using the files (in our forums) and you are set. The problem is that the modem firmware of 1.1.2 won't work with phone firmware 1.1.1. If you don;t care about it being unlocked, just update straight to 1.1.3. You should have no issues then.
    So I will never be able to use the phone the way it is with the 1.1.1 firmware and the modem firmware I have?? I don't really want to upgrade to 1.1.3 right now.Man this is really looking confusing to me which isn't hard to do I must say.
    Last edited by fastv6; 2008-01-18 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks

the reason im telling him to just go to 1.1.2 is so that if he wants to jailbreak again or anything he wont have to deal with the hassle of whats going on with 1.1.3 right now =X just get the phone working i think thats all you really care about right? haha do the plan restore to 1.1.2 from the link i gave you and then let me know what happens.. and then if you get it working i will point you to the right thread to begin a 1.1.2 jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by the sr5 View Post
    the reason im telling him to just go to 1.1.2 is so that if he wants to jailbreak again or anything he wont have to deal with the hassle of whats going on with 1.1.3 right now =X just get the phone working i think thats all you really care about right? haha do the plan restore to 1.1.2 from the link i gave you and then let me know what happens.. and then if you get it working i will point you to the right thread to begin a 1.1.2 jailbreak.
    Yeah all I really care about is using the phone right now.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the sr5 View Post
    That's fine, I was just trying to give him options. I think they were all given quite clearly for him though. He expressed no interest in jailbreaking, which is why I said the EASIEST method would be just to update to 1.1.3. Yes, this will lock him out of jailbreaking, for now, but I doubt it will be for long.

That's fine, I was just trying to give him options. I think they were all given quite clearly for him though. He expressed no interest in jailbreaking, which is why I said the EASIEST method would be just to update to 1.1.3. Yes, this will lock him out of jailbreaking, for now, but I doubt it will be for long.

Yeah but if I did upgrade to 1.1.3 wouldn't I still have to activate through iTunes and choose the $20.00 data plan?? All I want to do is use my existing AT&T card and not mess with any data plans.

Thanks again

Thanks

True...

Well should I try and get this thing working so I can use my AT&T sim or should I just try and sell it and recoup some of my money??I would love to keep it but I am not sure I can get the phone working by myself.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok. Follow my guide on jailbreaking 1.1.2 and disregard it saying that you need your original SIM. Hopefully after bypassing activation on 1.1.2 it will let you use your SIM. If not you need to invest in a Stealth SIM or something similar.
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

The phone has been downgraded from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 and is jailbroken.What should I do since it's not 1.1.2 anymore??

Thanks

Forget about 1.1.3. As people have said before, If you're on 1.1.1, then you need to install oktoprep from Installer, then upgrade to 1.1.2, then jailbreak 1.1.2 using the files here - http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1696

Follow Sidetalker's guide, remembering you have a 1.1.2 OTB.

I'm pretty sure you can not use non-iphone sims on 1.1.3 until 1.1.3 has been jailbroken, so don't even attempt 1.1.3 as it will make it very difficult to recover from
    To live, you have to lie

Wait...I got an Iphone from ebay for a friend of mine, well he paid for it, I only had to jailbreak and install everything cuz he does not know anything about computers..

Well..I am currently an AT&T customer and it seemed the guy he bought it from, had it activated or jailbroken but the installer app was not there. I put in my Sim card and I was able to make calls anywhere.

Make sure that your sim card is a 3G sim card. All I did was put my sim card in and it worked. Oh and if you activated through Itunes, even if you select that you are a current AT&T customer, you will be forced to have the 20 dollar a month data plan. But I heard after you get it, you go online on your cinguar account and remove it. Just make sure you jailbreak the phone to 1.1.2 and turn off Edge with Netservices App so you dont incur data charges.
    Here are some useful links :

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=461

Then for youtube fix:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?p=176062