Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3G - What is summary view ??

Default iphone 3G - What is summary view ??
    Hi - I have a new iphone 3G with the 2.0 (5A347) firmware from apple on it.

I want the iphone in its current "virgin" state to continue to work 100%

However, I want to install the "today" app to give me a summary screen when I power on the phone - and this requires the device to be jailbroken.

There are a lot of notes on this forum, and it is difficult to see what the current status of the breaking is in terms of stability.

I have an apple mac at home.

Appreciate it if someone could answer the following questions:

1. If I jailbreak does the phone operate the same way as it did before (assuming I dont install any apps). Are there any known issues?

2. If I jailbreak, am I able to go into itunes and restore with the latest apple firmware if I choose to and get the phone back to its original state?

3. Can someone provide a pointer to the most proven jail break version that is out there.

4. If I start the jailbreak process and something goes wrong and it does not complete, is there a failsafe way of getting the phone back to its original state ?

5. I have seen a few notes that that the phone does not activate or have connection to the cell network (I am on o2) when finished - however I can not see any pointers to what causes that - can someone provide details.

Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - Every single version
    4 - I would say yes ( DFU ) but who knows?
    5 - Did you buy the phone from your carrier? If so, make sure to uncheck Activate before creating youre customized firmware. I had to restore twice because I forgot that. There is no need for the activate option if your using the carrier you bought the phone from.

Back up your phone before performing the jailbreak, once completed, restore your iphone from itunes ( where it asks if you want to set up a new phone or restore from a previous sync )

I really hope this helps.

Good Luck,

edit: iToday isnt running on 2.0 just yet. More apps will come as developers port them over to 2.0
    Delta
    Last edited by Delta420; 2008-07-21 at 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot bout itoday

Quote Originally Posted by Delta420 View Post
    1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - Every single version
    4 - I would say yes ( DFU ) but who knows?
    5 - Did you buy the phone from your carrier? If so, make sure to uncheck Activate before creating youre customized firmware. I had to restore twice because I forgot that. There is no need for the activate option if your using the carrier you bought the phone from.

Back up your phone before performing the jailbreak, once completed, restore your iphone from itunes ( where it asks if you want to set up a new phone or restore from a previous sync )

I really hope this helps.

Good Luck,

edit: iToday isnt running on 2.0 just yet. More apps will come as developers port them over to 2.0
    Delta

For number 3 what do you mean "every single version."

Right now there is only 1 way to jailbreak the 3G and its with the Pwnage tool

Thanks Delta

Has anyone out there done this on an o2 phone ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

for #3 I meant every version for iPhone 1st gen and well pwnage 2.0 for the 3G.

Sorry if I wasent clear enough, it's been one hell of a long day for me... I'm a little tired :P

Hi I have progressed the upgrade - it is an O2 activated phone. However on completion it I get an activation alert "no signal detected"

What step have I missed ?

Ignore that - I reset phone and it is fine. One minor cosmetic. When syncing i get sync in progress but no picture of the green battery indicating charge levels. Is this expected and can I get it back.

Otherwise - this is a confirmed successful UK o2 Jailbreak.

Ignore that - I reset phone and it is fine. One minor cosmetic. When syncing i get sync in progress but no picture of the green battery indicating charge levels. Is this expected and can I get it back.

Otherwise - this is a confirmed successful UK o2 Jailbreak.
    Last edited by dambox; 2008-07-21 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost