Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do I have to Jailbreak if..

Smile Do I have to Jailbreak if..
    Hello, I have a OOTB 1.1.2 iPhone and a StealthSim. Do I still have to jailbreak it to fully unlock it? I am running on windows XP by the way. My guess would be that I have to jailbreak it using this guide:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15669

Than just placing my sim card with StealthSim and insert it, and it should work?

Please let me know if I am wrong, really appreciate your help guys. Thank you.

Thanks

You do not need to jailbreak when using a StealthSIM. And using a StealthSIM does not unlock your phone, its simply a hardware trickster.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

jake12 (2008-01-08)

Sorry, but I believe this is the wrong answer. You definitely have to jailbreak to use the stealthsim. The iPhone has two layers of unlock. One is a sim unlock and the other is activation. The stealthsim takes care of sim unlocking for you but you still have to activate. The only way to activate is to jailbreak and run iasign or to copy a patched lockdownd. If you use jailbreakme.com or the conceited software 1.1.2 jailbreak package, it copies a patched lockdownd in place for you and you don't have to worry about it. So, bottom line, yes you have to jailbreak.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-01-08 at 07:19 PM.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

jake12 (2008-01-09)

With a StealthSim all I have to do is insert it with my sim card and it will run just fine? Do I have to edit or install anything else? I haven't gotten the StealthSim yet, but it's on the way. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    Sorry, but I believe this is the wrong answer. You definitely have to jailbreak to use the stealthsim. The iPhone has two layers of unlock. One is a sim unlock and the other is activation. The stealthsim takes care of sim unlocking for you but you still have to activate. The only way to activate is to jailbreak and run iasign or to copy a patched lockdownd. If you use jailbreakme.com or the conceited software 1.1.2 jailbreak package, it copies a patched lockdownd in place for you and you don't have to worry about it. So, bottom line, yes you have to jailbreak.
    Sorry, I'm in the habit of answering the questioned asked. As you cannot unlock an OTB 1.1.2 phone and StealthSIM does not unlock it, the answer would be no. If you wish to Activate the phone, which was never asked, then the answer is Yes, you have to jailbreak.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. Sorry that my question wasn't clear.
    By the way how do I jailbreak it if I'm:

Running on windows XP
    Have a OOTB 1.1.2 iPhone
    No AT&T sim card
    Getting StealthSim

Is there any guide on this site that I can follow?

I have found this guide and thought that it was quite well written:
    http://ourphone.blogspot.com/2007/12...in-4-easy.html

Part 3 - ACTIVATE AND JAILBREAK

Before you complete this part MAKE SURE that the AT&T Sim card is in your phone

Now, you are on the activation screen that says slide to make an emergency call, slide to get to the keypad and then do the following

What if I don't have an AT&T sim card? Does using a StealthSim + other sim cards replace that?
    Last edited by jake12; 2008-01-09 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost