Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Selective Update??

Default Selective Update??
    Ok, so, i got a call from a mate today, who's bought an iPhone and wants me to jailbreak it. im not sure when ill see him next, but it made me question something...

What happens when 1.1.3 is finally released, with regards to upgrading

Eg currently, i would restore a 1.1.2 or lower to 1.1.1, jailbreak & activate, install oktoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2 by simply clicking upgrade in iTunes.

Is it possible to manually select the update file similar to that of the restore function?

im thinking of the 1.1.2's and lower being jailbroken AFTER 1.1.3 is released (so assuming clicking upgrade in iTunes will goto 1.1.3) but wanting to upgrade to 1.1.2?

Is there a 3rd party app that lets you do this if you have the ipsw files?
    eg let you selectively upgrade?

You can hold shift/option when updating and select the firmware. But now there is rumor that 1.1.3 could be automatically installed on iphones.

well in theory, with automatic updates disabled etc, it wouldnt
    and with the option of shift-clicking update as well as shift-click restore, we should be safe :S ?

Thanks

I don't think you can skip an update. If you wanted to go from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 it would have to be a selective restore. Just to get your story straight, you have 1.1.2 now and want to know if you should wait to jailbreak to see what 1.1.3 is going to do?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I don't think you can skip an update. If you wanted to go from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 it would have to be a selective restore. Just to get your story straight, you have 1.1.2 now and want to know if you should wait to jailbreak to see what 1.1.3 is going to do?
    no, i have a US AT&T iPhone all done and dusted (i visited NY for a weekend).

My friend who live some 200 miles away wants me to jailbreak their UK phone they bought today so that it can be used on the 02 network but with a pay & go sim.

He's not back in my area for another 2 weeks, which made me wonder, if 1.1.3 is out by the time i see him, can i selectively update to 1.1.2 untill 1.1.3 jailbreaking and activating (and the endless playing around) has been confirmed.

i dont wanna update past 1.1.2 basically, but by the time i see him, the iTunes update may well be on ver 1.1.3

does that make sense?
    currently to activate/jailbreak a 1.1.2 you must go down to ver 1.1.1 first. install oktoprep than update to 1.1.2 in order to activate & jailbreak the 1.1.2 system. my fear is that iTunes would update to 1.1.3 and thus leaving it impossible to activate etc untill another few weeks once a process has been sussed

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

all you need to do is download the firmware files for 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 then when u click to restore or upgrade firmware hold shift whilw you click to be able to select the firmware you want
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    you can skip an update, I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.2, it did it like a restore though and I had to resync everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hackme View Post
    you can skip an update, I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.2, it did it like a restore though and I had to resync everything.
    I'm guessing you just glanced over my response. I said if you wanted to go from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 you would have to do a restore. A restore is not an update. You restored from 1.0.2 to 1.1.2, so you didn't skip an update.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

shift-click updates work with no problem. I have used it twice! I had downloaded 1.1.2 from a site rather than through iTunes. I just shift-clicked, selected the file and everything worked perfectly