Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Accessing remote microsoft sql database

Default Accessing remote microsoft sql database
    Hey Guys,
    Is there a way to access the microsoft sql database from Iphone. Iphone uses SQlite for database access, so I am not sure how to connect to a remote database.

I am trying to access a remote SQL database , read a variable in a table and update the variable. I just want to see how to access the database from the iphone.

Is there any existing driver to do this operation.

Thank you

No, no driver.

Ideally you should create a web service that makes the database changes and provides a public API that you can call from the phone.

This would also make your application more robust in terms of no dependencies on database design or particular brand or version, as you would just update the web service and the phone app would continue to work.

Using Visual Studio and ASP.Net it is quite easy to create a web service. Unfortunately, it isn't quite as easy on the iPhone side, but certainly possible. The SeismicXML example should help.

You could also create a REST style service which is made fairly easy with the new MVC framework Microsoft has created for ASP.Net. This can be used by iPhone applications very easily.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage