Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking

Thanks

Default Jailbreaking
    Okay, so I understand what jailbreaking is and what it does, but I'm curious as to how the dev team and hackers actually discover and exploit these hacks. Is it like geohot's first unlock, which opened the door for everyone else through hardware modification, or is there some way to get into the file structure of the device without already being hacked?

Thanks for the response! I'm really interested in this...

Basically, it takes alot of brains. These guys know coding and the insides/outs of the iphone OS. Its alot of trial and error to do just what you said, looking for a "door" Apple forgot to lock.

But as you said....it is about getting into the file system without it being "jailbroken", once they find the way, they can code-up a program to allow us (the people without all the brains) to get into the file system.

Thanks

Its basically finding holes in the system, and exploiting them to run arbitrary code. Like in 1.1.1, a well crafted TIFF image could crash safari and allow code execution...leading to jailbreakme.com.
    Many other flaws, it takes skill, and they are the best out there.

Thanks

Alright, thanks guys. It's just mind-blowing how intricate this process is, and how difficult it must be to actually accomplish, yet the devteam and geohot are both on the verge of already releasing the 2.0 jailbreak days after the update was released.

Simply amazing...

Any other explanations/thoughts? This is just incredibly interesting.