Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in recovery mode after attempting 2.0 upgrade...stupid me!

Unhappy Stuck in recovery mode after attempting 2.0 upgrade...stupid me!
    Hey all, new guy here. Months ago I bought a used 1st gen iphone that was already unlocked w/the jailbreak & 1.1.4 firmware. It worked fine. The other day, without doing any research, I decided to try & get the new 2.0 through itunes (stupid move I know). I had the sim pin on as well as the timed lock feature of the iphone which caused a message in itunes.

My iphone is now stuck in recovery mode & I can't seem to get ziphone or iliberty+ to help me out. When I hold the home button down while plugging in the usb cable itunes allows me to go through the restore process, but when complete I get a message stating "The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported."
    Last edited by a_alyte; 2008-07-13 at 08:34 PM.

its a flaw caused by apples servers take it to apple and have them replace it I just went thru the same thing yesterday

Do you need a receipt when taking back the iphone to apple? Did they give you a hassle before giving you a new one?

haha no receipt, or id, just walked passed the enormous line and got in with no appointment, like i said, apple knows they are at fault for this and will attempt to update/restore ur iphone for u, if it fails they will just had u a referb. model, only thing they need is a serial number and its on the back, lol

just make sure u tell them its a failed upgrade, those are the magic words

I'll give that a try. I just hope they don't ask for a At&t sim card since I have T-Mobile.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you have T-Mobile then 2.0 won't work for you.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

I did the DFU Restore Mode & itunes took me through the whole restore process. Itunes states "your iphone has been restored to the factory settings..." but I still get the recovery mode screen on my iphone. Then itunes tells me "The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Follow my guide....

Quote Originally Posted by a_alyte View Post
    I did the DFU Restore Mode & itunes took me through the whole restore process. Itunes states "your iphone has been restored to the factory settings..." but I still get the recovery mode screen on my iphone. Then itunes tells me "The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported."

wow exactly the same thing i got, only thing u can do is take it to apple it will fail to restore for them to so they should replace it with a new unit

I followed the guide but now itunes 7.5 is saying "The iphone cannot be used because it requires itunes version 7.7." My iphone doesn't pop up so I can't even hit restore. Also, when plugging my iphone into itunes 7.5 my computer searches for new hardware, recognizes the iphone, then tells me my device may not work properly.

Before attempting to upgrade to 2.0 I was unlocked w/the jailbreak running 1.1.4. I don't know what version I'm at now because itunes doesn't show my software version or serial #. It only shows "Name:iphone," when using itunes 7.7

itunes 7.5 doesn't recognize my iphone?
    Last edited by a_alyte; 2008-07-18 at 01:50 AM.

to be able to tell if your iphone has the 2.0 software or 1.1.4 or less, look at the connect to itunes screen on phone, if the picture of the cable is the same as the end that plugs into your iphone, its 1.1.4 or less ......if the picture of the usb cable is like the end that goes into your system, its 2.0

you need to have 2 systems as ive gone thru this before:

put the iphone in dfu mode
    downgrade the iphone to 1.1.4 using the 7.7 itunes (as 7.7 is the only one that will reg. 2.0 software)

after the restore you may get an error 10xx, thats fine, 16xx means you need to restore again.

once thats out of the way, it may still want to connect to itunes, use iliberty or ziphone to kick it into normal mode(no need to restore again because thats what you just did and for some reason or another it may ask to be restored after restoring :P ...lol)

once the phone is n normal mode connect it to a pc running 7.5 itunes and then do what u will with it

(gawd, i hope im right and i hope this helps)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to movalwebmaster For This Useful Post:

beanbean (2008-07-30)

use iBrickr, worked for me 100%. Connect to the PC and run program, then click boot iPhone

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to update but I was able to get back to my unlocked 1.1.4 state using the guide provided by 'Poseidon79.' It took a few tries but it worked.

Just today I successfully upgraded my 1st gen iphone to 2.0 by following the other guide provided in this forum. This upgrade gave me no problems at all. I'm happy now, at least for the mean time, lol.

Thanks again.

what if the phone was bought off of ebay or somebody on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by bnasty55 View Post
    what if the phone was bought off of ebay or somebody on craigslist
    you got pm

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Follow my guide....
    Ive done this multiple times but it just won't do right. I don't know what else to do. and i cant take it back to store bc no warranty on it anymore. i need help. very bad.

it wont work for me
    Last edited by bnasty55; 2008-08-07 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost