Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreaking the very first FW iphone with 1.0

Default jailbreaking the very first FW iphone with 1.0
    my friend bought a used iphone that hasn't been molested. it has FW 1.0 on it and i think it was bought as soon as they came out. he has Cingular and plans to just swap SIM cards and activate it through itunes. but i'm affraid it will update it to 1.1.2 FW when he does. because of my phone(using 1.1.1) he wants to get it to 1.1.1 and jailbreak it. i've jailbroke my 1.1.1 phone as well as my girlfriends 1.1.1 phone and another friend with an OTB 1.1.2 with the new bootloader, so i'm familure with the processes. now for the question.......
    how do we activate with his SIM but make sure itunes doesn't load 1.1.2?

my first thought was to connect phone to PC and make phone enter Restore mode, then Restore using 1.1.1 FW. but will that work? if so, then how do we activate?

thanks

Thanks

Yes, you can copy FW 1.1.1 to his PC and use iTunes to restore to that version (Shift-Click on RESTORE) then choose the 1.1.1 file. Then he can use http://jailbreakme.com to jailbreak his phone. See the guides section.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

yea i've done that (shift-restor) several times restoring my own phone but are you saying to do that before activating with his SIM? or are you saying to activate the phone then downgrade using the Shift-Restore 1.1.1method?

i'm definatly not an expert so forgive my lack of knowledge, but if i activate the phone and lets just say itunes updates it to 1.1.2, does that change the Baseband?
    then if i do the Shift-Restore thing to downgrade to 1.1.1, will the phone run on 1.1.1? because you have to have the correct baseband to match the firmware....right?
    Last edited by bmx1; 2007-12-27 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmx1 View Post
    yea i've done that (shift-restor) several times restoring my own phone but are you saying to do that before activating with his SIM? or are you saying to activate the phone then downgrade using the Shift-Restore 1.1.1method?

i'm definatly not an expert so forgive my lack of knowledge, but if i activate the phone and lets just say itunes updates it to 1.1.2, does that change the Baseband?
    then if i do the Shift-Restore thing to downgrade to 1.1.1, will the phone run on 1.1.1? because you have to have the correct baseband to match the firmware....right?
    Restoring will deactivate the phone again anyways so it really doesn't matter what state its in when you downgrade.

Not sure if you're confusing the baseband with the bootloader. If your friend has a 1.0 iPhone and upgrades to 1.1.2, yes the baseband will be changed, the bootloader will not, meaning the phone will still be unlockable.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.