Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Several Quick questions

Default Several Quick questions
    alright, first off, I appologize for this thread. I know I'm supposed to read through all the guides and stuff cause my question has already been answered, but I've come to notice that a good deal of the stuff in those guides and threads mean little to a person who doesn't know all the lingo and stuff. I'm not new to the hacking homebrew downgrading world, as I've done these types of things with my psp and gp2x (one of which I bricked and it took me forever to fix it) so let me ask a few quick questions.

here's my sittuation: I'm with ATandT. Popped my iphone out of the box just a couple days ago and first thing I did was activate it with itunes (on my pc) and all that business. It's new so that means firmware 1.1.2. I want to install apptap, right, but it looks like the only way to do that is to downgrade to 1.1.1. This is where my questions spawn

first, along with the prospect of messing up my new (expensive) Iphone, I also am afraid of loosing all my contacts and bookmarks that I spent a ton of time putting in there when I downgrade it.

what do all these oktoprep and iBrikr and all that business mean?

I hate to be a bother, but I'm pretty lost. I don't expect anybody to type me up a full personalized guide or anything, I'd just like a momment of your time to get my questions answered and perhaps get pointed towards a guide/section of a guide that is specific to my sittuation.

thanks

Thanks

You need to go to the downloads section of this site and download the 1.1.1 firmware. Then you restore the iPhone to that firmware, goto http://jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the phone, install OKtoPrep from the installer.app that jailbreakme.com will add to your phone and then update back to 1.1.2.

You contacts, etc will not be lost as they are stored on your computer and through iTunes. You can get the guides to each of these steps in the Guides section of the website.

Lastly, iBrickr is simply one of the PC programs used to transfer files back and forth between the iPhone and your computer.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.