Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: tried 4 times, with different guides, diff. computers, but every time...

Default tried 4 times, with different guides, diff. computers, but every time...
    but every time i get to the step where I am supposed to upgrade back to 1.1.2 after installing oktoprep, i hit upgrade in itunes and end up with an error saying it could not upgrade (1611). While it is trying to upgrade, it reboots the phone like twice, and i end up with the connect to itunes icon. this has happened twice using different guides, and different computers.

for the record, the first two times I tried jailbreaking I had a problem earlier on

also for the record, I have an activated 1.1.2 out of the box iphone, trying to downgrade and jailbreak it i always skip the steps on guides about dialing *#307# or whatever because I have an activated phone that can get me to safari without all that - this shouldnt be a problem, but just another FYI.

so, what do I do now? Is it the new itunes (.5 instead of .4)? Is it noticing this process and blocking it?
    Last edited by lbjandai; 2007-12-27 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks

Every time you do a restore, your iPhone is deactivated again, so I'm not sure why you're skipping the steps, they are there for a reason.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

lbjandai (2007-12-27)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Every time you do a restore, your iPhone is deactivated again, so I'm not sure why you're skipping the steps, they are there for a reason.
    well many guides I read said if you already had an activated phone in the beginning you didnt need to do all that. AND, i can go directly to safari at that step without all that dialing numbers foolishness... but should I still be doing it?
    Last edited by lbjandai; 2007-12-27 at 04:42 PM.

try this one it has almost all guides

Quote Originally Posted by morphiusrt View Post
    try this one it has almost all guides
    ive used it. ive used them all.

Please! Anyone of any help other than just linking me to guides I have already read and tried?
    Last edited by lbjandai; 2007-12-27 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

Follow the guide step-by-step. Seriously, you're trying to take short cuts, and wondering why it doesn't work.

You're the only person I know that has been able to skip that step, you're not restoring the firmware properly
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Follow the guide step-by-step. Seriously, you're trying to take short cuts, and wondering why it doesn't work.
    are u serious? Not true. The guide that morphius linked me to has a guide for people that already have activated phones, NOWHERE in there does it say anything about dialing numbers 307 and all that... because you do not have to if your phone is already activated. So, i'm not sure where you see me skipping steps.

have you tried idemocracy?

Thanks

You do realise, that you need to activate it again with each firmware upgrade / downgrade?

So no guides work for you? What makes you so special, when they worked for 1000 of others?

Either you're not doing it properly, or the guides are wrong. What do you think it is??
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You do realise, that you need to activate it again with each firmware upgrade / downgrade?

So no guides work for you? What makes you so special, when they worked for 1000 of others?

Either you're not doing it properly, or the guides are wrong. What do you think it is??
    HA! 5th TIME IS A CHARM! AND I NEVER DIALED 307! REDCARD, SORRY BUD YOU ARE WRONG. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

but for effect, read this my friend:

"now, you are on the activation screen that says slide to make an emergency call, slide to get to the keypad and then do the following:"

i never have an emergency call, my iphone automatically activates.

here is a hackint0sh guide:

"***Continue if you do not have an AT&T activated sim card***

9b. Slide to reach the emergency dial screen
    10b. Enter *#307# and then press call
    11b. Your phone will ring itself, press answer
    12b. Press hold now and your phone will start ringing again
    13b. Press Dismiss and your phone will go into the contacts/dial screen
    14b. Press contacts from the bottom bar and add a contact
    15b. Add a contact with a random name and homepage of: prefs://1f
    16b. Save it and click on the link. This will take you straight into the settings menu of the iPhone
    17b. Select 'General' and then select 'Auto-lock' and hit 'Never'
    18b. Now go back and add your WiFi network
    19b. Hit the home button and you will now be taken back to the emergency dial screen
    20b. Hit 0 then call then press answer and then press hold and then press decline and hit contacts and add another contact with a random name and a homepage of: jailbreakme.com
    21b. Save it and click on the link. This will launch safari and take you to the appsnapp install page. Continue to step 22

22. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Install appsnapp'
    23. After it installs you should have a jailbroken and activated phone with the installer.app
    24. Launch installer and install 'BSD Subsystem' and then select the sources button at the bottom of the screen
    25. Click on 'Edit' and then click on 'Add'
    26. Type 'http://i.unlock.no' the sources will refresh
    27. Select the install button at the bottom of the screen and scroll down where it says 'Unlocking Tools'
    28. Now install 'Baseband Downgrader' to downgrade your 1.1.2 (04.02.13_G) to 1.0.2 (03.14.08_G) baseband
    29. After it installs you have to re-flash the firmware for the changes to take affect. Repeat steps 1-5 above and then after that proceed to step 30

30. So now you should have an iPhone that you downgraded to 1.1.1 from 1.1.2 and then installed appsnapp, installer, BSD Subsystem, Baseband Downgrader and then re-flashed the firmware again to 1.1.1 and are now back to the activation screen

***If you have an AT&T activated sim card then goto to step 30a. If not then goto step 30b***

30a. iTunes should now activate your iPhone and your AT&T should now work
    31a. Launch Safari and type jailbreakme.com and install appsnapp again. That's it!

***Continue if you do not have an AT&T activated sim card***

30b. Repeat steps 9b-27 and then proceed to 31b
    31b. Select and install anySIM and follow the instructions
    32b. Restart your iPhone and that's it!"

and then there is idemocracy - it says in its guide - if you have an activated phone, skip step 4, move to step 5 [step 4 is the stuff about dialing *#307, etc.

and then the guide here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15669

if you go to 1.1.2 OTB (control+f "frth") there is NO MENTION of dialing *#307 or any of that.

the only other thing i can think of is... when i downgrade, iphone starts up, it says like needs to activate or whatever,but in itunes it says "set up iphone" and it gives me the option of setting up a "new phone" or restoring a previously connected iphones settings - i just do "new phone" and say "no" to any "syncing." at that point, my iphone allows me to use safari. If i should not be getting this "set up" screen on the iphone - or if i should not be selecting either option - i guess maybe thats when i would try the emergency dialing - but i am not even sure if i have the emergency dialing option available BEFORE the "set up iphone" screen on itunes.

one other detail - i keep my iphone plugged in the whole time until after the upgrade, becuase none of the guides I have read ever say "DISCONNECT" iphone before that last step after the upgrade - but again, i have never gotten past upgrading back to 1.1.2 so basically, i am always plugged in.
    Last edited by lbjandai; 2007-12-27 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost