Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iphone is still under the tree, anything to do before xmas?

Default The iphone is still under the tree, anything to do before xmas?
    Quick question, and better to ask it now then on the mad rush on 12/25 and 26 -

The iphone is under the tree, in an unopened box and under the tree. In looking over the guides, they seem to be on different firmware versions and dates. I picked this phone up a few days ago from an AT&T store.

Do I need to go unwrap it and check any exterior labels to see if a different model might be in stock before it gets opened on Christmas Day?

I didn't pick the phone, my wife did - I prefer the WM flexibility and openness. The only app I saw the shocked me in the store was the limited built in calculator, and when I came home looking for a replacement to pre-download and have ready to install, found out it would be a mod, which would violate the warranty. Not in Kansas anymore with that knowledge.

Apple sure seems to have a strong arm on everything with this phone - no discounts, no rate plan discounts, activation fee, 2 year signup for the data plan and now the stuff I've read on here so far about having to do hoops to install apps.

And since it is not activated in the store, but has to be done at home on iTunes, I've read several loops to jump through to be able to sync up to an Exchange server. I need to look for a guide on iTunes so I know what version to either upgrade or downgrade to on iTunes before the box gets opened in a few days.

Happy Holidays everyone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've used Windows Mobile for years, and still own a couple WM devices. You may well find that after you've spent a couple hours / days using the iPhone you'd rather chop off a limb than go back to WM.
    I don't think it's worth thinking about whether you could go get a different iPhone with a different firmware version on it, unless this one was purchased quite a while ago. They've had 1.1.2 on 'em for at least several weeks now, don;t reckon you'll find any older (easier to jailbreak) models.
    You do have to make a bit of effort to jailbreak latest firmware (last I looked, but I still run 1.1.1 so haven;t checked much), but once you've made the initial effort, installing apps is quick and easy via the Installer app. In fact it's much slicker than anything I've ever encountered for WM.
    And by now there are a lot of very useful 3rd party apps out there.
    Good Luck ...

Thanks for the feedback.

Anything I need to do on the iTunes side, or is the stuff I've read on needing specific versions to make things work out of date?

U dont need anything to do with itunes except the latest version U will most probably have version 1.1.2 just follow one of the Stickied guides on this forum. When u are finish u will be able to just open an application, called installer, on ur iphone (u will need wifi btw) and just choose what application u want to install and it will download it to ur phone and install it! There are hundreds to choose from!

Thanks

Dear Storpappa,

Happy Holidays.

Regarding the Exchange server issue, have you consulted with your local IT to see if the Iphone will be supported (assuming you wish to have your work emails set up to direct to your Iphone)?

Many of the companies are currently using the Blackberry enterprise server and are not making any concessions for Iphone usage at this point. I do wish you well!

Mine is also under the tree and I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Quicksim. I have T-Mobile with a full family plan and love their service and my phone is week 47, so at this point, it is not possible to unlock, instead, only psych out the phone! :=)

Have a great day and I hope you enjoy your new Iphone!

Michael
    Iphone 1.2.1 oob-working with Quicksim on
    Ariel, I mean Voicestream, Sorry I mean T-Mobile

Windows Vista Ultimate
    Tampa Bay FL

Do something, anything, better today than yesterday!

Work was a major not just no but hell no. This would be for our family Exchange 2007 which is good to go for connectivity.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by storpappa View Post
    Work was a major not just no but hell no. This would be for our family Exchange 2007 which is good to go for connectivity.
    LOL - think a lot of corporates are still saying Hell No ...

04.02.13_g -