Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Whole bunch of promblems (Repair Need, error 1011, etc..)

Default Whole bunch of promblems (Repair Need, error 1011, etc..)
    Hello Everyone,

This might be a long read but only because I think Iíve done my due diligence in trying to troubleshoot this issue. I have come across several different behaviors/errors while trying to virginize this iPhone.

Basically one of my friends has asked me to take a look at a phone that was jailbroken and unlocked. One day this phone started erroring out with the following message:

Repair Needed

iPhone cannot make or receive callsÖ etc.

So after a lot of research and reading, there were several posts suggesting to restore the iPhone to the original state, which I was told is 1.0.2. At this point, before attempting a restore, I can still see the Spring Board, but I noticed that there was no value for modem version and IMEI in the General|Settings area of the phone.

I tried restoring several times but received variations of the error message at the end of the restore:

an unknown error occurred (1011)
    an unknown error occurred (2003)
    an unknown error occurred (1)
    an unknown error occurred (1604)  I think

Iíve found so many threads on how to get around the above messages but still the restore will not fully complete. Iíve tried restoring to 1.1.2 and back and ran into other issues where the boot up screen would just loop with text:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwTOZovceJo"]YouTube - iPhone booting up showing command lines[/ame]

I eventually was able to get out of the loop, and again attempted to restore with no success. It was stuck in the restore mode until I ran AppTapp to boot it up somewhat successfully.

Now I have the Activation screen with a picture of the world. Iíve run iBrickr to jailbreak it. iBrickr recognizes the phone as jailbroken and the next screens show to install application, however I cannot get to the springboard. When I move the slider it just brings me to the keypad even though iBrickr sees it as free.
    I do not have the original SIM if that makes a difference. iTunes also complains about invalid SIM.

Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this issue, or to help me get past this hurdle. To me this sounds like it could be truly bricked.

Iíve tried loading BSD Subsystem, Mobile Term, OpenSSH etcÖ but on this one machine the error is complaining about iphoneinterface.exe and crashes iBrickr. Iíll try on another machine.

I donít think the phone is worse off than when I received it, however to my friend he may not see it that way since when I received it, the springboard was accessible.

Thanks in advance.

B.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You will need to downgrade to FW 1.0.2 and run ieraser. only way you can fix that problem. restoring or upgrading will not help at all because your iphone does not have a baseband. ReVan have a very good easy tutorial on how to use the ieraser and downgrading your baseband. That will take care of the repair needed error. Once you accomplished that, you cannot upgrade your fw from 1.0.2 straight to fw 1.1.2. Need to restore from 1.0.2to 1.1.1 then upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 after installing oktoprep.

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakko For This Useful Post:

beanoguy (2007-12-20)

Thanks for your reply dakko. I was going to post sooner that I've been able to get around most of the errors in my original post.

At this point I can see my springboard, without any errors about needing repair. I am able to use iBrickr to install apps and such. I've installed SSH, Mobile Terminal, BSD Subsystem, etc...

I'm at the point of trying to flash the baseband by using ieraser and bbupdater. I'm stuck when running ieraser where it hangs at Waiting for Data... and goes no further. When using bbupdater to flash the baseband it just retries 10 times with no success and ending off with 'baseband bootloader is too old'.

I've downloaded BOOT03.09_M3S2.fls and tried using that but same behavior where it fails after 10 attempts.

The phone's version shows as 1.0.2. I don't plan on upgrading any further and would like to get this phone to the point of being unlocked at version 1.0.2.

I guess my immediate challenge is to get that baseband restored somehow. I've found several hits on the above error messages all over the internet and MMI, so I'll keep grinding away.

If anyone can answer the following using ieraser and bbupdater.

Are there specific file versions that need to be used specifically for 1.0.2 in order for the flash to work?

If yes, can someone point me to those correct files? I have downloaded so many duplicate files all over the place

Thanks,
    B.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hi, It takes several attempts for the ieraser to work. I did like 8x I think with one of the iphones I repair. If you waited like 4 mins and still on waiting for data just reboot your iphone and do it again. It will finally go through on one of those attempts.

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES

ok thanks. I'll give it a try and post the results.

please do post results, as i am in the same position and am interested in what ended up working for ya. thanks, and good luck.

--jonathan

I get more information for this problem and not found a solution at the moment.

I explore the iphone files and ALL FOLDERS of the a "normal" iPhone has missed. Because? Only the folder iTunes_Control has avaliable.

This is a first step to find a solution for this problem. See the image guys:

Hey jrlederer,

I posted quite a few problems I was facing. I'm not 100% sure where you're stuck but I think the first obstacle I needed to overcome is the 'Waiting on Data' while using ieraser. Good news is I "think" it worked It goes past 'Waiting on Data' and starts spitting out numbers for example:

-------------------------------------------

Got Header: 77 0b cc
    <more numbers>
    SECPACK
    <more numbers>
    Erase
    Hopefully the main flash was erased. wait for the next steps...
    #

---------------------------------------------

The way I got past the message 'Waiting on Data' was through frustration... literally I got so fed up staring at the word 'Waiting on Data' in MobileTerm, that I kept running ieraser over and over again, then it finally kicked off. Here are the steps:

- Open MobileTerm

#cd /usr/bin
    #ieraser

- In MobileTerm, place and hold your finger in the terminal.
    - A dial will pop-up. With your finger still touching the screen, slide it over and select ^C.
    - This will return you to your shell.
    - Again place and hold your finger in the terminal.
    - When the dial shows up, slide your finger to select the 'up arrow'.
    - This will show your last command. It should populate with 'ieraser', then hit Return to run ieraser again.
    - I did this about 8x quickly without waiting or giving ieraser a chance to run.
    - After the 8th time, I just let it sit on 'Waiting For Data' for about 1 minute and then it started erasing.

If this is your issue too I hope this helps. Now onto the next task. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
    B.

================================================== ======

Update:

My next step was to run the following and install the baseband:

bbupdater -e ICE03.14.08_G.eep -f ICE03.14.08_G.fls

This worked. It took about 4 - 5 mins maybe more before it started displaying any text in MobileTerm. For example,

ProgressUpdated 0
    ProgressUpdated 1
    ProgressUpdated 2
    ProgressUpdated 3
    ProgressUpdated 100

<some text>
    Resetting target...
    pinging the baseband...
    issuing +cpwroff...
    Done

Next I run "bbupdater -v" and it now displays DEV_ICE_MODEM_03.12.08_G.

Everything seems to be working now as far as I can tell. I still have to check the wifi when I get home, but I do have a wifi in the settings now

BUT, I am a little confused about one thing. I don't remember running AnySim on this phone even though I had it on the springboard. I am able to make calls out when I don't think I should be able to.

I do have a question about AnySim though. A lot of posts say do not use versions lower than AnySim 1.1. I've downloaded AnySim 1.1 but I don't know what to do with it.

I've extracted the files to a folder and thought there would be a PXL file or something. Do I need to add it to the iPhone's applications somehow to run it? Any info will help for future reference.

Well, I hope the information I've posted helps you as well.
    Last edited by beanoguy; 2007-12-20 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hello Beanoguy,

I'm having the iEraser problem too. Since my iPhone went the same way your friend's did I hope I will be able to get past iEraser. But I have a question, which seckpack did you use? I'm assuming the seckpack should be the one that comes with FW 1.1.1, 4.01.13, since the problem started when I was running 1.1.1: Repair needed... Is it the one you used?

Another question, after you flashed the baseband the phone started working again without virginizing and unlocking? If it just started working it may corrupt again after 1.1.1 upgrade. One thing that I think could have worked was to use bbreload when the problem showed up on 1.1.1 Repair needed... But I found that out after a long time and I had it already messed up.

Thanks
    Last edited by ludionisio; 2007-12-23 at 12:06 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

where can you find the ie eraser as i need it as my iphone says insert a valid sim and i cant get it to go away a need help :-(

This forum has a download area, look for iphone software then SaviourPack1.1.x or something. A little googling also works.

Hello Dakko,

do you know if it really matters which version of the secpack to use when the "Waiting for Data" shows up with all the secpacks available(3.12, 4.01., 4.02)? I mean, when the case is that there is no baseband?

Hey everyone I cannot find a way to get out from the recovery mode. I get error 1604 when I restore to 1.1.1 , I brickr does not detect my iphone.

Help required.

1604 has nothing to do with the iPhone. Just restart ur computer and it should work

beanoguy, which secpack did you use. There is a secpack for each firmware. Did you use a specific pack or any one from those downgrading packages will do?

I have the same problem that you had, firmware 1.0.2, and I always get 'waiting for data' with iEraser.

Now my question is it, do I have that, because I have to run iEraser 1000 times and hopes it goes through at some point, or is it that I don't have the right secpack and it will never go through?!

Hi Beanoguy,

I have same issue with your iPhone with constant looping on boot up, could you please tell how did u manage to get out of looping?

same issue:

i ran ienew and got message 'Can't Write' at the bottom part instead Waiting for Data, hex codes ,Hopefully etc etc.

so I restarted as test point didn't work.

that's how all errors started.

I could not restore it correctly anymore 1.0.2, 1.1.1 , 1.1.2 , with different error coded 1011, 2003 ,1 etc.

then I came up with this looping.

Could you please help how did u fix yours?

Or anyone know what procedure should I do in order to get my iphone restored back please.

my iPhone is OTB 1.1.2, 4.6 , week 51

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by beanoguy View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This might be a long read but only because I think I’ve done my due diligence in trying to troubleshoot this issue. I have come across several different behaviors/errors while trying to virginize this iPhone.

Basically one of my friends has asked me to take a look at a phone that was jailbroken and unlocked. One day this phone started erroring out with the following message:

Repair Needed

iPhone cannot make or receive calls… etc.

So after a lot of research and reading, there were several posts suggesting to restore the iPhone to the original state, which I was told is 1.0.2. At this point, before attempting a restore, I can still see the Spring Board, but I noticed that there was no value for modem version and IMEI in the General|Settings area of the phone.

I tried restoring several times but received variations of the error message at the end of the restore:

an unknown error occurred (1011)
    an unknown error occurred (2003)
    an unknown error occurred (1)
    an unknown error occurred (1604)  I think

I’ve found so many threads on how to get around the above messages but still the restore will not fully complete. I’ve tried restoring to 1.1.2 and back and ran into other issues where the boot up screen would just loop with text:

YouTube - iPhone booting up showing command lines

I eventually was able to get out of the loop, and again attempted to restore with no success. It was stuck in the restore mode until I ran AppTapp to boot it up somewhat successfully.

Now I have the Activation screen with a picture of the world. I’ve run iBrickr to jailbreak it. iBrickr recognizes the phone as jailbroken and the next screens show to install application, however I cannot get to the springboard. When I move the slider it just brings me to the keypad even though iBrickr sees it as free.
    I do not have the original SIM if that makes a difference. iTunes also complains about invalid SIM.

Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this issue, or to help me get past this hurdle. To me this sounds like it could be truly bricked.

I’ve tried loading BSD Subsystem, Mobile Term, OpenSSH etc… but on this one machine the error is complaining about iphoneinterface.exe and crashes iBrickr. I’ll try on another machine.

I don’t think the phone is worse off than when I received it, however to my friend he may not see it that way since when I received it, the springboard was accessible.

Thanks in advance.

B.
    Last edited by edgardc; 2008-01-27 at 03:37 AM.

sorry for not replying earlier, I havent visited in a little while. In regards to the secPack, I just used the one from SaviourPack.

Hi Edgard,

Basically, I put the phone in DFU mode and used iTunes to restore to 1.0.2 or used AppTapp to do it.

Regards,
    B.
    Last edited by beanoguy; 2008-02-05 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi there everybody,

this is what worked for me:

1. Using iTunes 7.6, DFU ->firmware 1.1.3, DFU -> 1.0.2, jailbreak
    2. Using iTunes 7.4.3, DFU ->firmware 1.1.3, DFU -> 1.0.2, jailbreak, baseband live again -> DFU 1.1.1 -> jailbreak -> virginize - > DFU 1.1.1 -> jailbreak -> unlock

I may have tried step 1. more than once but it finally worked
    Last edited by ludionisio; 2008-02-07 at 08:54 PM.

thanks ludio
    im about to try your solution but two questions
    what firmware did you start when you dfu-ed to 1.1.3 i am currently in firmware 1.1.3 and im having a hard time getting it in dfu mode
    second, when did you realize you had to do step 1 again, is it when you try to jailbreak (still in step one), so if the loop thing like the video on the first page starts happening again (like it has done) i should start over? and lastly, how did you unlock if the fiormware was upgraded to 1.1.3, is it because there is no baseband to wreck in the 1.1.3 upgrade?
    thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by rsobbi View Post
    thanks ludio
    im about to try your solution but two questions
    what firmware did you start when you dfu-ed to 1.1.3 i am currently in firmware 1.1.3 and im having a hard time getting it in dfu mode
    second, when did you realize you had to do step 1 again, is it when you try to jailbreak (still in step one), so if the loop thing like the video on the first page starts happening again (like it has done) i should start over? and lastly, how did you unlock if the fiormware was upgraded to 1.1.3, is it because there is no baseband to wreck in the 1.1.3 upgrade?
    thanks a bunch
    Hey there,

I was running 1.0.2 jailbreaked (with springboad). After I read somewhere that 1.1.3 would rewrite the entire baseband I upgraded my iTunes to 7.6 -> DFU -> restore 1.1.3. Then I got the connect to iTunes icon.

If you're on windows just pay attention to the sounds and you will get into DFU. (Power & Home) button -> wait sound ->sound->release power button->wait sound->sound->release home button

I probably did step 1 twice because it didn't work the first time. And not to work means after 1.0.2 jailbreak (when you get out of yellow triangle to ACtivate screen) there is a valid ICCID and matching IMEI.

About the loop thing, I think you're right, the phone must be stable -> no looping

The virginize process downgrades the baseband back to 3.14. I unlocked in 1.1.1