Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone...help!

Exclamation Thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone...help!
    Ok i obviously have the iPhone. I am on AT&T service. i did upgrade it through iTunes to version 1.1.2. I havnt done any mods or hacks to it yet. But by reading info on this site, i am very interested in doing so. Mainly: change icons,main wallpaper, get different apps, etc.. With that said I have a few questions im hoping will get answered.

1. By "jailbreaking" my phone, will that prevent me from upgrading to new firmware updates down the road?

2. Will it ruin/damage my phone in ANY way?

3. Is it reversible?

4. What are the pros/cons with jailbreaking?

5. Ive read that phones that have been jailbreaked, were later "bricked" and from what i understand that means...the phone becomes useless. Is that so?

Ultimatley i just want to know if its worth it do do this. The phone isnt exactly the cheapest thing, so i dont want to screw it up in any way!!

Thank you and i hope to hear some feedback

you should really read around first, all of the above questions have been answered numerous times.

But, I'm feeling good, so here you are.

1. By "jailbreaking" my phone, will that prevent me from upgrading to new firmware updates down the road?

No, but when you update the jailbreak will be undone (unless you take the proper measures as defined by the modding community.

2. Will it ruin/damage my phone in ANY way?
    No. No. No. - Well, if you consider adding features damage.

3. Is it reversible?
    Yes, restore in iTunes.

4. What are the pros/cons with jailbreaking?
    Pros: You take control of your phone and add an inumerable amount of features

Cons: You have to put forth a little extra effort and actually do something to make it happen

5. Ive read that phones that have been jailbreaked, were later "bricked" and from what i understand that means...the phone becomes useless. Is that so?

No, phones that are unlocked are then "bricked", you do not have to worry about this.
    Last edited by chordmasta; 2007-12-19 at 03:24 AM. Reason: emphasis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chordmasta For This Useful Post:

dysfunkti0nal884 (2007-12-19)

ok let me first say that i don't post much but i do now that it is possible to downgrade from1.1.2 back to 1.0.2 and back up without any problems so it doesn't damage your phone unless you do something very wrong second i don't know if this will not let u upgrade down the road cause there is nothing above 1.1.2 so impossible to know but if you need to know how to downgrade i would be happy to tell u

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ben101 For This Useful Post:

dysfunkti0nal884 (2007-12-19)

I do appreciate the feedback im getting.. I just have one req. Would it be possible for someone to link me to the best instructions on how to do this. The ones i have read all have different methods.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

dysfunkti0nal884 (2007-12-19), joewalls12 (2008-09-10)