Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: totally screwed up my iphone

Default totally screwed up my iphone
    Any help is appreciated with this - i have an unlocked iphone i purchased from last summer - upgraded to 1.1.4 and everything was fine.

2 nights ago, my friend who bought a new used car had an adapter for ipods to play music... so i tried to put the adapter in my iphone and within a few seconds it just locked up and would not do anything. i held the sleep and home button down and got the apple logo and then it just locked there for about an hour.

it finally came back to life and i got a signal, and even made a call. then later (about 20 minutes after that) i got an error saying "iphone cannot make or receive calls".

so i started trying different solutions including Ziphone, winpwn and things have just gotten worse. the phone does not even come on anymore... the screen is permanently blank except when i try to put it into recovery mode - i get the apple logo and Itunes recognizes the phone in recovery - then i try to restore and the apple logo shows up but that is it.

the restore will go on and on for a long time and not do anything... then i will get an error message saying "Iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (6)'

i fear that i have a brick... does anybody have any suggestions? i can't even force a restore on it...

What your going to want to do is download ibrickr. (it's kind of old but works!)
    Then you say your computer recognizes the iphone in recovery mode? okay so then when it's in recovery mode then plug it in and open ibrickr, now there should be 2 options pick the top one (it will be something like force boot the phone).
    Then the screen with either go red or green, if it's green try to restore again to 1.1.1, and if it goes red it will boot up, just got to wait.
    But if it doesnt work then restoring doesn't work just keep trying that, it's nearly impossible to fully brick and iphone.

Cheers
    Iphone 16gb; on ROGERS
    Windows xp

well, here is the thing - ibrickr only recognizes the phone when i am in restore mode and it attempts to fix the phone while itunes is trying (unsuccessfully) to restore the software. once itunes give me back an 'unknown error 6' message i get ibrickr saying 'no iphone connected'

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaGames View Post
    2 nights ago, my friend who bought a new used car had an adapter for ipods to play music... so i tried to put the adapter in my iphone and within a few seconds it just locked up and would not do anything.
    What kind of dock or adapter is it? Does the phone get hot while it is connected to the PC or charger?

There are a lot of docks / chargers out there that are not compatible with the iPhone. Sounds like you shorted out the power IC on the logic board. It can't boot up because the battery is nearly drained, not enough juice to restore either.
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

really? i have had it plugged in to a USB port for 2 days now... would the battery not recharge or are you suggesting that the battery is completely fried?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the phone turn on and does iTunes / your PC recognize it?

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaGames View Post
    really? i have had it plugged in to a USB port for 2 days now... would the battery not recharge or are you suggesting that the battery is completely fried?
    9/10, the battery is fine. Because the power IC is fried, it does not complete the circuit to charge the battery. Once the power IC goes out, the battery begins to drain until it is completely dead...
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19204
    Last edited by rvlyssup; 2008-07-03 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

Just to close the loop on this - after spending days trying to fix it with no luck, i was about to open up the iphone and try the jumper wire solution. Then i decided to simply go to the Apple store where i bought the phone - they looked at it for about 10 minutes and could not get it to do anything, and then simply handed me a new phone.

so I DID BRICK MY IPHONE :-)