Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading Jailbroken and Unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone to 1.1.4

Default Upgrading Jailbroken and Unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone to 1.1.4
    When I bought my iPhone, it came with already done Jailbreak and Unlock and version 1.1.1 of the firmware. It had installer.app installed inside, as well as some other apps.
    I've fighting for a long time now against my upgrading of its' firmware, but I noticed that more and more applications start to prefer firmware 1.1.4 and not work on my firmware version.
    So I decide to upgrade. But I don't wanna mess up.

Been reading a while about this upgrade and I thought I might toss a few words here, checking about everything before I decide I go for it.

So, as I noticed, these are the steps I should make:

- restart in DFU mode (by click-and-hold both Home and Sleep/wake buttons untill screen goes black, then release the home button);
    - shift-click the Restore button in iTunes and choose the 1.1.4 firmware file from my computer;
    - wait for iTunes to restore it to 1.1.4;
    - restart in recovery mode (don't quite remember how to do this);
    - use iLiberty to jailbreak + unlock + install Cydia and/or Installer.app;
    - I have my iPhone upgraded to 1.1.4;

I would really appreciate if you confirm these steps for me.
    I would also like to ask if there is need to jailbreak the iPhone again, after it's been jailbroken before (from where I bought it) or will it come jailbroken and upgraded with just the iTunes restore?
    And also, is there any way to save my installed applications, so that I can put them right back after upgrading to 1.1.4 instead of searching for them through installer.app or cydia?

Thank you very much,
    Muad'Dib

Green Apple
    Thanks

The above steps are fine. In fact, usually, you don't even need to put your phone in DFU if you are upgrading, as DFU is usually used only for downgrading.

You should just simply be able to connect your phone to iTunes and let iTunes upgrade it/restore it normally.

Then, when that is done, use iLiberty (or whatever you prefer) to Jailbreak and/or Unlock. ---You will HAVE TO jailbreak/unlock your phone again because you are doing a full restore to a new firmware which restores the phone to factory state.

Also, there is no way to save your applications so you will have to reinstall them through Installer or Cydia. And even if there was a way to backup, I highly recommend not doing that simply because there are a lot of changes from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 so you might have a lot of problems on your hand if you restore your apps again from a backup.

Hope that gets you started....let us know if you need any more help.
    If someone helped you, hit their THANKS button.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rvashi For This Useful Post:

muaddib (2008-07-02)

Thanx for the quick answer!

I see then...

I have another question - I have TimeCapsule installed, and with it I can make some backups of many applications' data files, as well as my contacts, SMS history, and many more. But I can't seem to find the files where this program creates its' backups.
    I browser through the directories to the TimeCapsule.app directory, but didn't notice anything significant. I would like to copy these backup files to my computer, so I can bring them back to the same directory after I upgrade/jailbreak/unlock/install TimeCapsule again.

Do you have any experience with its' usage? I tried browsing on internet forums, but didn't find anything useful.

Thanx again,
    Muad'Dib

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sadly I can't say I've ever used TimeCapsule, thus I cannot provide any information regarding its usage.

However, I don't recommend using and backup/restore options currently available just because with Jailbroken/Unlocked iPhone, there is so much differences that can occur within the file system which could create issues when restoring from a backup. But again, this is just a recommendation.

Let me know if you need any more help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rvashi For This Useful Post:

muaddib (2008-07-02)

Thanx rvashi, few last questions!

1. When I go to iTunes, I shift-click Restore or Update?
    2. How can I undo things I do with iLiberty/WinPwn? Is there any way to make an image from my iPhone's hard drive, to put it back if I mess with something?

I presume these will be all my questions

Green Apple
    Thanks

No problem at all!

A1) Shift+Click Restore if you have the 1.1.4 firmware ipsw file. It will let you browse for the location of the file.

A2) Undoing things done from WinPwn/Pwnage Tool are easy, you simply restore to stock firmware from iTunes. Just go to iTunes and click Restore...and it should put everything the way it was from factory. I believe iLiberty would probably be the same way. I've always used Winpwn/Pwnage Tool because it seems to me the most reversable/safe!

If you think of anymore, let me know. I'll try my best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rvashi For This Useful Post:

muaddib (2008-07-02)

I see. So where can I find extensive WinPwn documentation, because I would like to know everything that WinPwn/Pwnage tool does?
    Thank you a millionth time!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay, give this a shot. It's basically a tutorial on uisng WinPwn...from iClarified.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock Your iPhone With WinPwn [Updated]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rvashi For This Useful Post:

muaddib (2008-07-04)

Thank you, that cleared everything up!
    You deserve a beer.
    You will get one if I ever come in your proximity.

I am just wondering if there is some iPhone simulator to test all these experiments with firmware and similar
    Last edited by muaddib; 2008-07-04 at 11:50 AM.