Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Scared to jailbreak.. Should I be?

Default Scared to jailbreak.. Should I be?
    Okay, I've been reading this forum for almost a month now, and REALLY want to load native apps, but I CAN'T be without my phone if Apple kills it during the next release, and it takes 2 weeks for everyone here to figure out how to bring it back from the dead. Is this an irrational fear, or is there a way to be assured that I won't be without a functional phone for 2 weeks? Or is it just that I won't be able to sync it to iTunes for 2 weeks? Sorry if this seems like a lame question, this is my first time posting to this forum and I am trying to evaluate if I should wait until Apple let's us all do this their way in a month or 2. Thanks.

FoleyPhoto

Be afraid, very afraid,

where did you get the idea that the phone would be "killed" or unusable for 2 weeks? That has yet to happen with any version of the firmware/jailbreak.
    I'm so glad I don't have to meet The Internet People.

Thanks

Don't worry, jailbreaking just modifys the root directory, a restore and your back to 100% factory state, you'll be fine. Go ahead and enjoy them apps! Unlocking is what cuases bricking

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DoerrFan For This Useful Post:

foleyphoto (2007-12-15)

I have just read about phones being rendered unusable (for generally 2 weeks) until someone here cracks the new code after an Apple update. I see from the response of the next answer that this is mainly from unlocking not jailbreaking which puts my mind greatly at ease. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Don't worry, jailbreaking just modifys the root directory, a restore and your back to 100% factory state, you'll be fine. Go ahead and enjoy them apps! Unlocking is what cuases bricking
    Thank you very much.. Your reply was most helpful! Can I ask you one more thing? Which one of these many methods is the easiest/best way to jailbreak? I am a Mac user on Leopard and I bought one of the first iPhones and have done all of the updates to 1.12. Thanks again!
    Last edited by foleyphoto; 2007-12-15 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dont be worried jailbreaking doesn't do anything to brick your iphone.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foleyphoto View Post
    I have just read about phones being rendered unusable (for generally 2 weeks) until someone here cracks the new code after an Apple update. I see from the response of the next answer that this is mainly from unlocking not jailbreaking which puts my mind greatly at ease. Thanks for your help.

Thank you very much.. Your reply was most helpful! Can I ask you one more thing? Which one of these many methods is the easiest/best way to jailbreak? I am a Mac user on Leopard and I bought one of the first iPhones and have done all of the updates to 1.12. Thanks again!
    Here is the guide