Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Completely Clean Slate

Default Completely Clean Slate
    Hi all! I'm new to these forums, but not to modding in general. My phone has been modded since the day I bought it, and practically every other electronic device I own is hacked, modded, or tweaked in some fashion, but I could use a little help on this one.

I am currently running firmware 1.1.2 with several apps installed. I have downgraded/upgraded/restored a couple of times during my random tweaking of options and testing of programs.

I'm having a couple of issues with my phone right now. The most annoying of which being the fact that when I select an app, it freezes for a moment, then goes back to the springboard (no reset) If I go into the same app 3 times, it'll restart the springboard completely (back to the unlock screen).

Eventually the app will work, but its getting REALLY annoying. During my tweaks, I noticed that there are remnants of old applications that I've installed etc. still on the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but logic tells me that upgrading/downgrading etc. does not format the phone and start completely fresh.

I've looked in these forums and others, but haven't found a solid answer as to how I can completely reset the phone to a store-bought, stock state. I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this. One of which being the fact that if there is genuinely a problem with my phone, I would like to be able to take it back in a stock state without the Apple store or anyone else being able to detect any 3rd party files/folders. Also, I have a 4gb and was considering upgrading to the 8gb. Here, I also need a stock state for whoever I sell the phone to, or if I take it back to the store.

Below is a list of what I'm running so that if anyone knows of any issues with those specific apps, I can get rid of that app, but I would still like to know if there is a way to format the phone...

Hardware:
    PC = 2.4ghz, 1gb RAM, Windows XP Professional SP2 + All Recent Updates/Hotfixes
    iPhone = 4gb Model, Version 1.1.2

Software:
    Installer 3.0b8
    SummerBoard 3.0b1
    BSD Subsystem 1.5
    Customize 1.20
    MobileFinder 1.8.0
    MobileRSS 2.0
    Books 1.3.7
    Sketches 0.4b
    weDict 0.5
    BlockPuzzle 1.1
    Wallpaper 1.6
    ZIPcodes 0.2
    Make My Day 1.0
    CallD 0.01
    SMSD 0.08
    iSpit 1.0
    SysInfo 1.0b

Other various ebooks, wallpapers & SummerBoard Themes.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd put as much as possible in this first post, rather than "My phone is messing up, help" and leave out any vital info that might actually get me some help

TIA
    Remedee

what i did the last time i restored is set it up as a new phone in itunes instead of restoring from the backup. if you do this, your phone should be in its original state

Check your SMB Prefs and make sure the Dim Wallpaper setting is set to off. I know it sounds odd but mine stopped crashing as soon as I changed the setting to off.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mmmhshiney For This Useful Post:

remedee (2007-12-14)

Ya know, I thought about that, because I do have the wallpaper set to dim in SMB Prefs & I know that the new version of SummerBoard doesn't have the same settings for adjusting the wallpaper opacity. I do LOVE the wallpaper I have and the fact that I can dim it because it conflicts with the text when it is in full color etc.

I recently un-installed several apps to see if any of those were the issue. So far, I've noticed no change & I'm still having the probs with freezing, restarting etc., but I just turned off the dim option & I'll post my results from that. Part of me hopes it helps so that my phone will stop annoying me, but part of me also hopes that it is something else because my board looks great with the wallpaper dimmed :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by remedee View Post
    Ya know, I thought about that, because I do have the wallpaper set to dim in SMB Prefs & I know that the new version of SummerBoard doesn't have the same settings for adjusting the wallpaper opacity. I do LOVE the wallpaper I have and the fact that I can dim it because it conflicts with the text when it is in full color etc.

I recently un-installed several apps to see if any of those were the issue. So far, I've noticed no change & I'm still having the probs with freezing, restarting etc., but I just turned off the dim option & I'll post my results from that. Part of me hopes it helps so that my phone will stop annoying me, but part of me also hopes that it is something else because my board looks great with the wallpaper dimmed :P
    DIM it using Photoshop or something
    I guess the DIM Wallpaper option was the problem
    iPhone 1.1.2 8GB
    Orange/Cosmote RO.
    Fully functional!

Favorites: Categories, ShowTime Unlimited, CameraPro + crack , iSMS, Listen

...and don't forget the thanks button

Seems the dim wallpaper was the issue. I wanted to use it for a while to see if I ran into any other problems, but all seems well now. Thanks fellas. I'll try the new phone option if/when I try to restore the phone to stock.