Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yeah... I need some expert help please. I screwed up big time...

Default Yeah... I need some expert help please. I screwed up big time...
    So I was going to install the 2.0 beta firmware on my phone, so I got Winpwn and got what I thought was firmware for the iphone, but as it turns out, was actually firmware for an iPOD. So now my Iphone thinks its an iPod but it wont start up or boot or do anything...
    It picks it up in iTunes, but as an iPod, and if I try to use iTunes to reinstall the 1.1.4 iPhone firmware, it says there is an error, and if I try to use Winpwn, it says to wait for a reboot, but it never happens.
    So my question is, is there a way to install the iPhone firmware back on my phone?
    Remember, I can still read it on my computer, I am connected, its just the screen is completely blank on my phone, and wont do anything when I press any buttons (obviously...)

And please refrain from telling me how bad I screwed up because I know.
    Trust me...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, and on a side note, I cant send it back to apple because by trying to install custom firmware, Im pretty sure I voided the warranty...

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there any way you can get it into dfu? You can try using ziphone to boot it in dfu and then restore to 1.1.4, because if it shows up in iTunes, it should show up with ziphone.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Thanks

I feel your pain.
    Have you tried using Ziphone to force the wanna be iPod into DFU mode? If this is successful, you can then use iTunes to restore it to 1.1.4 ! Try it....

Damn.... ya beat me M3thodan
    Last edited by mumra06; 2008-06-28 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks

^^wow. That's strikingly similar to what I just suggested. LOL haha that was pretty weird . We said almost the same exact thing.

both good ideas, but unfortunately, dont work...
    it just keeps searching for an iphone and one never comes up.
    like i said, the phone comes up in itunes, but as an ipod, not an iphone...

anybody have any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Kamtheman777; 2008-06-28 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

does it seem like its been jailbroken or unlocked? If not, just try returning it and say that you tried to manually install 1.1.4 because itunes wasn't installing it right or something and you downloaded and installed the wrong file.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

but is stupid human error covered in the warranty?

the answer is no.
    i just read the warranty, which excludes what i did.
    this is my second phone, the first one had a battery issue, i think ill say the battery is the problem again, hopefully they will send me a new one....
    Last edited by Kamtheman777; 2008-06-28 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Haha I remember when I was 12, I installed 4th gen firmware on my 5th gen iPod Video. I just sent it back to them and they replaced it. Just bring it in and say your phone was acting weird. Say that you called Apple and they suggested you do a restore. Then say when it restored it wouldn't turn on and showed up as an iPod. Just remember if you're going into the store, play dumb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m3thodandr3d For This Useful Post:

Kamtheman777 (2008-06-28)

the nearest apple retail store is like 3 hours from where i live, so i have to send it in, but the good news is that it doesnt even show up in itunes anymore.
    i blamed it on the battery like i did last time.
    the guy said that once they get it theyll check to see if they can turn it on (it wont) then theyll try to plug it in and charge it and try to turn it on again (which it wont). hopefully the tests wont be any more extensive than that, otherwise, im screwed...