Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help. Brand new iphone. Don't know what to do..

Default Please help. Brand new iphone. Don't know what to do..
    Hey guys. Please forgive my ignorance. I am completely new to this whole thing, and i'm trying to make sense of it all.

I just bought an iPhone on eBay that came factory sealed. The seller said it had firmware version 1.1.2 installed into it.

I just turned the iphone on for the first time and I get this message telling me to "activate my phone" with an image of earth in the background. I slid the emergency call button and entered in some digit that led me to a field test screen. I then went to versions and next to firmware version it says: 04.01.13_G. I don't know what any of this means, obviously.

I tried connecting it to iTunes but it doesn't seem to recognize the iphone.

All I want to do at this moment is to be able to bypass that "activate phone" message and go into the main menu. I also want to downgrade to 1.1.1 so that I could unlock it with a GSM carrier of my choosing.

What should I do to get started? I know you're going to direct me to Google and the search feature and whatnot, but if you're going to do that, can you please at least direct me to the proper tutorials or threads that I should read? There are sooooooooo many threads, and it can be overwhelming for a newbie like me.

Thanks

Chris Reznor

Welcome to the iPhone community. Modmyifone has a ton of threads regarding this. First off since your phone is new it most likely cannot be unlocked. The newest phones come with a new bootloader that make it so the phone cannot be unlock through software (currently that is). Link located below.

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18407

Now since you posted in the jailbreaking section not the unlock I assume that you want to jailbreak your phone? This is possible with the new phones. All you have to do is downgrade to 1.1.1 and jailbreak. There are many tutorials on how to do this. Just search jailbreak 1.1.1 on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonesolutionz View Post
    First off since your phone is new it most likely cannot be unlocked. The newest phones come with a new bootloader that make it so the phone cannot be unlock through software (currently that is). Link located below.

Are you serous!? Please tell me there's a way around that.

But it says that I have 04.01.13_G as firmware version when I checked the info.

Isn't that 1.1.1?

Well the fact is that neither of those matter when it comes to the bootloader. You can either ssh into the phone and check your bootloader version or check your serial number of the phone indicating what week release it is. Anything after week 45 and its a no go.

How exactly is it that I check to see what version firmware I have installed in the iPhone then?

I can't go to the About/General etc. etc. menu because i'm stuck on that "Activate your phone" screen.

You can check what firmware is preinstalled by going to the emergency call, entering *3001#12345#* then pressing "Call". Under Versions you will find what revision firmware is on the phone out of the box.

Also tell me the 4th and 5th digits from your serial number.
    Ex. ***45******
    This will justify if your phone can be unlocked or not.

Ok, I did what you told me to do and when I went to "versions," it just says two things: firmware version and LCD panel ID. For firmware version it says04.01.13_G, and LCD Panel ID it says 7459072. It doesn't doesn't say "revision firmware" anywhere.

Also, I looked on the back of the iPhone box and the 4th and 5th digits of the serial number are: 44

??

I really think that the guy I bought it from was mistaken. I think it's really a 1.1.1 iphone.

What should I do from here iphonesolutionz?

p.s., i appreciate your help.

What steps should I take next??
    Last edited by creznor; 2007-12-07 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I would ssh to be sure, there are tutorials here. After ssh'ing type bbupdater -v