Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pls point me in the right direction ----> :)

Default Pls point me in the right direction ----> :)
    I like many others are a bit confused. I've used the search feature but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Pls forgive if I missed a thread that would help me. A suggestion for the forum mods also... Maybe a sticky a glossary of terms so that nubs like myself will better understand guides and instructions that are already posted.... ie..

unlocking -
    jailbreaking -
    revirginizing -

It might help to clear up some confusion. Here is my specs as well as what I'm interested in...

1.1.2 - I'm not sure what it came with out of the box - It did run an upgrade when I activated the phone with iTunes 7.5
    Question: Is there a way to tell what week my phone is or what firmware it came with by the serial # or something else?

My service provider is AT&T so I'm am NOT interested in unlocking the phone for another provider.

All I want is access to the file system to mod the GUI, ringtones, install apps etc... Of course be able to do this with all the other features working This would be a jailbreak only correct?

So should I wait around a bit for 1.1.3 to come out? Btw anyone seen any notes on what will be included in .3? Or can what I'm looking for be accomplished now?

I use WinXP .. iTunes 7.5 (I've read several thereads saying you need a previous version of iTunes to jailbreak...??)

Any help here would greatly be appreciated... links, instructions.. anything that will help me acquire the knowledge.

Thanks again for your time guys! Take care.

E
    Last edited by Erock; 2007-12-03 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    unlocking - Allows the phone to use with any GSM network.
    jailbreaking - Lets you access the springboard (main screen) without activating via iTunes.
    devirginizing - It's revirginizing, and it basically restores either your 04_01_13_G baseband (modem firmware) or 04_02_13_G baseband to 03_14_08_G baseband which is the baseband we all love.

Question: Is there a way to tell what week my phone is or what firmware it came with by the serial # or something else?
    If your still on the activation screen, slide to make an emergency call, dial *3001#12345#* and press call and tap versions.

All I want is access to the file system to mod the GUI, ringtones, install apps etc... Of course be able to do this with all the other features working This would be a jailbreak only correct?
    Correct

So should I wait around a bit for 1.1.3 to come out? Btw anyone seen any notes on what will be included in .3? Or can what I'm looking for be accomplished now?
    It can be accomplished now

I use WinXP .. iTunes 7.5 (I've read several thereads saying you need a previous version of iTunes to jailbreak...??)
    Not necessarily, you can use 7.4, but 7.5 is recommended
    Note, for jailbreaking you still have to downgrade the firmware back to 1.1.1, jailbreak it, install OkToPrep, and then upgrade back to 1.1.2 before being able to jailbreak it.

devirginizing - It's revirginizing, and it basically
    niiiice.... instant Classic right there ^

tyVM

So what's the big diff. in the firmware? Obviously mine is the newer 04.02.13_G
    Last edited by Erock; 2007-12-03 at 04:32 AM.