Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to upgrade from 1.0.2?

Default How to upgrade from 1.0.2?
    Hi all,

Did a search, but couldn't find anything current. I think it's about time to upgrade my phone and need advice.

One thing is, will I lose all my games, apps, phone book?

I have both and XP and an OS X machine, so which one would be easier and/or better?

I am still on the original ATT sim card (before Cingular) corporate plan.

My phone is a 4GB iPhone
    version: 1.0.2
    modem firmware: 03.14.08_G

Everything works fine except I don't have visual voicemail.

Any guides or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

THere's nothing current because most people are no longer on 1.0.2 read some of the forums you found in your search and that should help.

I used iphone.unlock.no when I upgraded my 1.1.1 worked great. Very simple instructions. Try that if you want.

it think no matter what u do u will lose ur 3rd party apps
    if this post help click the thanks

Thanks.

I've reread some of the search results and decided that I'm going to use the pwnage tool for OS X, but since I don't know the original unlocking method, I need to virginze my phone. The only problem is that I tried to add some new music the other day and the phone or itunes crashed and I had to do a restore. SO now I have the Installer problem where it would come on, try to refresh for a few seconds, then go back to the home screen.

I've tried running Installer from Terminal, but it does the same thing. Couldn't find any of the .plist files to delete. So my Installer is no longer working and I need to find out how to virginize my phone. SSH'ing into my phone from either a MAC (fugu) or PC (WinSCP & Putty) gives me unstable connections. It would allow me to login, but then I lose the connection when I try to change directories.

Any suggestions?

i know the new itunes update screws with unlocked phones so if u updated then that might be the problem, i think i read that somewhere but i definitely could be wrong. I'd search about the itunes update and see if you can dig something up, it seems as though you know how to search based on the info in your responses.

iPhone? More like MyPhone flattop95's Avatar
    Thanks

you have to restore and then try again, once installer goes you are screwed

Ok, before I start this, let me confirm the steps. My only experience has been with Motorola phones prior. I don't want to brick my iPhone.

Sorry to be so careful, but I wanna make sure I get this right.

I have the MAC PWN v1.1 tool, Firmware 1.1.4 and the two bootloader files downloaded onto my desktop. I have the latest version of iTunes running. I've uploaded the Virginize Pack v0.4 to my iPhone to the specified directory.

Are these the correct steps....

1) Run the virginizer software.
    2) Place the phone in the DFU mode and connect to iTunes and select the update to the latest firmware.
    3) Remove the phone from the USB cable.
    4) Start the PWN tool
    5) Browse to the 1.1.4 firmware on my desktop
    6) Place the phone back into DFU mode and plug back in
    7) Select iPwner & wait
    8) Select IPSW builder
    9) Check off Activate Phone, Enable Baseband update, Neuter bootloader, Update Bootloader, Upgrade to 4.6, Unlock baseband & Autodelete Bootneuter.app.
    10) Save this custom IPSW file on the desktop.
    11) Switch to iTunes and either control or shift + Restore and point to my custom firmware.
    12) When this finishes, I should have and iPhone that's unlocked to the old Blue original AT&T, jailbreaked with the Installer, BSD and Terminal installed and working.
    13) Follow the wiki to change the settings for ATT mMode.

Now will I lose my Contacts and text messages already stored?

Contacts always make sure you sync them with windows address book thats what i always do because when you need to create a new one due to bugs somewhere in your old files you lose all your info and contacts are tough to lose

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

1) Run the virginizer software.
    2) Place the phone in the DFU mode and connect to iTunes and select the update to the latest firmware.
    3) Remove the phone from the USB cable. Not Necessary
    4) Start the PWN tool
    5) Select iPwner & wait
    6) Select IPSW builder
    7) Browse to the 1.1.4 firmware on my desktop
    8) Place the phone in RECOVERY mode
    9) Check off Activate Phone, Enable Baseband update, Neuter bootloader, Update Bootloader, Upgrade to 4.6, Unlock baseband & Autodelete Bootneuter.app.
    10) Save this custom IPSW file on the desktop.
    11) Switch to iTunes and either control or shift + Restore and point to my custom firmware.
    12) When this finishes, I should have and iPhone that's unlocked to the old Blue original AT&T, jailbreaked with the Installer, BSD and Terminal installed and working.
    13) Follow the wiki to change the settings for ATT mMode. Huh?

Ok, What's the difference between DFU and Recovery mode?

AT&T mMode... The old AT&T uses different settings to send text messages and accessing EDGE. The Cingular settings do not work. I had to SSH and edit some preference files the first time I had the phone unlocked.

Thanks

Recovery is when you hold home and power until the phone reboots and you see the iTunes logo with a Cable on it.

DFU is a deeper restore mode that is only used if your phone won't boot up or you want to downgrade your firmware.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

justmeinca (2008-06-16)

So for step two, since I'm attempting to upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4, do I still place the phone in DFU or Recovery?

i never put mine in dfu and i've never had any problems just to be safe i would though it just makes it that much of a cleaner upgrade

So I finally tooked the plunged. Problem was that iTunes on my MAC wouldn't connect with my iPhone and neither would the laptop that I've normally sync with.

As a fluke, I've hooked up to another laptop and it worked fine, so here I go scrambling to transfer the windows version (had read everything on the MAC way) of the software to upgrade from there. The WinPwn had a couple of other options that I figured out on the fly, but overall it was fairly simple and straight forward.

I was able to restore all my contacts, Notes, email settings and it even kept the old legacy AT&T mMode settings. Didn't have to SSH in and modify the preferences plist file.

Now the downside...... Had I known I was going to lose iBlackjack, I wouldn't have upgraded. I was $42,000 in the hole and was determined to get back up.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice!

Thanks

$42K in the hole?? Maybe you should switch to Texas Hold'em, haha. I'm glad you got everything upgraded and working!

Hey...at $100 a hand plus double downing, it adds up fast.

OK.... it looks like iTunes backs up a lot of things. I was able to find the iBlackjack game, did a manual install and it remembered how much in the hole I was!

Finally found your thread
    but I'm still stumped on how to transfer the virginize pack to the phone