Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone shuts off whenever it's on sleep

Default iPhone shuts off whenever it's on sleep
    Is there a fix for iPhones shutting off when it's on sleep. It doesn't do it all the time but whenever it's left on sleep for a long time, it would just turn off. The only way to turn it back on is by holding Sleep and Home button for 3 secs or so. I need some help here guys. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That's not normal. I suggest you restore in itunes to 1.1.4 and use iLiberty to re-jailbreak/unlock.

I tried that too, from 1.1.4 back to 1.1.3 back again to 1.1.4. I also tried to restore it with the older firmware but I keep getting an error with the others (1) and (5). The only way I can restore it to 1.1.3 is if I downgrade it with ZiPhone. Thanks for your quick reply

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

No reason to downgrade your firmware. After you rejailbreak its VERY important to set the phone up as NEW.. not from back-up. If you restore from back-up it's possible it will re-write the bad code.

I will definitely give that a try. I'll post what happens after. Fingers cross

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any update on it?

Yesterday, I reboot using iTunes as iphone is very slow and hanging most of the time.
    then used ipwn tool. Phone is running back to normal.

but when it come to auto sleepmode, the phone just went dead.
    Only recovery is Home+power buttons.

I tried to switched to sleepmode manually and can be unlock back normally within a few minute,
    but went dead screen again if in sleepmode for more than 5 min.

Also found out that the phone is hotter than usual.

Look like software is in sleep mode, but not hardware.
    Cause Battery drain very fast also.

Any help?

I am having the very same problem.... any luck with yours?

I am having same issue, iphone shuts off / crashes during sleep. I have to use Home+power button to have it turn on again and when it does power on it has to go through the whole boot process again.

did any of you guys find any solution to this?

I had the same problem with an unmodified iphone. I called apple and they said it was a hardware problem and needed to be replaced. They are sending me a new one but I have to pay $29 and they will hold 399 on my credit card. Mine was completely shutting off 3 or 4 times per day and the only way to turn it back on was to hold the sleep and home button down for 10 seconds

Default Update
    Ok, so i had ordered a battery and swapped it out. now iphone has a new battery but it still shut down durning sleep, its a random issue but happened a few times during the day.

- did a complete restore > the issue is not as bad but still shuts or crashes during sleep so have to hold power button and home button down for a few seconds to start it up back up again.

- final test :

i've taken the normal t-mobile sim that i use and have replaced it with a 'pay as you go' t-mobile sim.

- have been testing for 2 days now and it has not shut down during sleep.

also battery is not getting drained as fast too.

anyone have any idea what is going on here?

- i think i might have t-mobile store replace my original t-mobile sim for me and see if that makes any difference.

Hi, This might have nothing to do with it but I had this problem for a long time. It worked but froze up when it was screen locked. It also got very hot. I eventually found that it was actually my wireless access point that caused it. For some reason, My iphone (1.1.4) didn't like it when I use WEP encryption on the Access point I connected it through. When I switched to WPA, the problem was gone. Just see if you plug out all nearby access points, does the freezing problem go away. I can't explain it but It worked.

ok, so i got another tmobile sim and had my phone number transferred to it.

so far it's going good. only seen it shut down once during 'standby' sleep mode within the 24 hours.

hopefully this will cure the issue once and for all for anyone having similar issue.

i had the same problem and soon found that the phone was stable only while using 'insomnia'.... but the battery died out too fast all the time..
    so i've downgraded to 1.1.2 and the phones stable on its own (without insomnia).. however cant upgrade to any other firmware coz the problem just starts again.

I still have my 2g iPhone that caused this problem but after I upgraded from 1.1.4 everything went fine. It never shuts off by itself anymore even if it's on standby or not.

i had the same issues with my phone havent fixed it but it is doing it less now becuase i swapped out my sim card

mine does that as well....on 1.14 its fine but anything above it does that....its very frusttrating

i'd suggest that u guys turn off the constant gprs/edge connection... coz that kinda drains the bettery and maybe related to this switching off problem... if its network controlled then ask them to make it manual or something...
    u can find out if its activated/on by the 'E' symbol next to the network bar...

I went through 3 phones from apple and several restore processes. Even then I was still having an occasional problem. Finally, I bought a hard case and all the problems have stopped. I would recommend that you stay after apple to replace the phone until you get one that works.

well my iphone shuts off every time its slepp but i found a solution.........leave ur iphone's ipod playin when it sleeps it wont turn off mine used to turn off too but wen i leave the iphone ipod on i doesnt... but yea i think it has too stay busy or something...im still lookin at that...tested on 2.2.1 hope it wrkes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanlopez View Post
    well my iphone shuts off every time its slepp but i found a solution.........leave ur iphone's ipod playin when it sleeps it wont turn off mine used to turn off too but wen i leave the iphone ipod on i doesnt... but yea i think it has too stay busy or something...im still lookin at that...tested on 2.2.1 hope it wrkes!

edit: put your ipod volume down if you dont wanna hear the music....i think the music can run on for 24 hours on a full charge
    Last edited by Jonathanlopez; 2009-02-08 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi!, and sorry if its a late response (i hope i don't get banned for this). I recently had this problem after updating my iphone 2g firmware from 3.0 to 3.0.1. I used google(mans best friend) and i came across this post. This solution worked for me so maybe it'll work for you. Put your phone's auto lock to never and brightness on the highest and let your phone battery die (leaving the phone on the home screen menu), i recommend waiting a day for it to completely deplete to make sure the battery's completely dead. Make sure by holding on to the power button or power and home screen so it wouldn't show the dead battery status and telling you to charge it(red low battery thing with lightning crap). Once its completely dead, charge it fully. That has worked for me and i hope it works for you guys. Now, i know this doesn't make sense and it has no science behind it but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast