Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: problems jailbreaking? here's the solution

Default problems jailbreaking? here's the solution
    osx how to IN DETAIL: - as of aug 5 07 anyhow...
    (for those of you whom have trouble getting it working... like I did)

***NOTE TO NEW USERS: if you've never modded before or you tried once and failed, you've come to the right place. Don't fret, most of us have to restore if we don't get it right the first time or if we muck something up or if the jailbreak just times out for whatever reason cuz we were busy browsing themes instead of putting files... if you have to restore don't fret about the "activate" part- just keep using itunes and let it restore, you don't have to pay activation or anything, you're simply restoring factory settings. just like a reset key, only this is in software. Also, I've tested shutting down the process and my phone at all kinds of different points throughout the process to ensure it wouldn't hose cuz of something stupid- the only thing you need to be sure of is to finish the Services.plist portion of the instructions when you've successfully transferred files. So, I wish you all happy carefree modding!****

first off - let's double check that you haven't hosed your phone... connect to itunes and make sure it doesn't ask you to restore. If it does you may want to make sure that it also doesn't say anything funky about your file space availability... like capacity in MB instead of GB. if so, do a restore to factory settings (which isn't always a bad idea anyhow). In order to make the process faster, uncheck all those things you wanted to sync previously and wait til you're all done modding.

now, let's get a clean restart of your phone so it's not confused and jailbreak doesn't tell you how things just didn't work out... so restart your iphone normally.

turn power on normally
    start a new terminal session

before we jailbreak, let's make sure all your itunes is closed. open activity monitor and shut down all itunes related processes.

make sure you've copied in ALL the files you need ( i make a backup in case while i'm working something in my current phonedmg gets corrupted, i don't have to go redownload EVERYTHING again). Your phonedmg folder should look as follows (16 files total, about 101 MB worth):

694-5259-38.dmg Services.plist
    694-5262-39.dmg iPhoneInterface
    Firmware icon.png
    Makefile.osx iphoneinterface.dev
    Makefile.win jailbreak
    MobileDevice.h kernelcache.restore.release.s5l8900xrb
    README main.cpp
    Readme.txt tree.cpp
    Restore.plist

**if you already have these files and had a failure last time, you might also want to delete ALL phonedmg and start fresh to ensure nothing's corrupt. I grabbed a fresh copy from the Guides portion of modmyi.com

at the prompt, $ cd phonedmg
    at the prompt, $ ./jailbreak

your terminal should say:
    [jailbreak 1.0] by ziel w/ special thanks to GeoHot and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew.

Looking for iPhone...

restart your phone using power and home key. hold it down until you get the CONNECT TO ITUNES AND the terminal says both of the following:

Sending Files...

*** If iTunes is running, please close it.
    *** Hold the POWER and HOME buttons for approximately 25s.
    *** Release when the display says 'Please Connect to iTunes'.

Sending More Files...
    Booting iPhone...

NOW let go, and you should start to see that wonderful progress spinning image.

it'll say,
    Waiting for iPhone to finish booting...

then finally something along the lines of:

Moving files into place...
    Cleaning up...
    Rebooting iPhone...

Enjoy your newfound freedom. Thank the devs at #iphone next time you see them for making this all possible.
    p.s. Like most other useful tools, this one may be dangerous if used carelessly. Always remember -- You brick it, you bought it.

p.p.s. I have no idea how 'My Humps' could possibly have gotten set as your ringtone.

you'll now get your prompt back ($) followed by the neat lil sound from your phone that it's restarted

at the prompt, $ ./iphoneinterface

you should now see:

iPhoneInterface v0.3.3 built on Jul 29 2007

Waiting for phone... established.
    iPhone state: Activated
    type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# ls
    Applications
    Library
    System
    bin
    cores
    dev
    etc
    mach
    private
    sbin
    tmp
    usr
    var
    iPhone:/#

congratulations, you've successfully FINALLY jailbreaked!.. jailbroke... whatever.

at the prompt, iPhone:/# cd Applications/

you'll see: iPhone:/Applications/#

if you do an ls, you'll see:
    iPhone:/Applications/# ls
    Calculator.app
    DemoApp.app
    FieldTest.app
    Maps.app
    MobileCal.app
    MobileMail.app
    MobileMusicPlayer.app
    MobileNotes.app
    MobilePhone.app
    MobileSMS.app
    MobileSafari.app
    MobileSlideShow.app
    MobileTimer.app
    Preferences.app
    Stocks.app
    Weather.app
    YouTube.app

now the part that most everyone didn't know, YOU HAVE TO PUT icon.png files ONE AT A TIME! So copy your icon.png into your user/phonedmg/icon.png one at a time for EACH of the icons you want to replace. let me spell it out for you to make sure you're not confused:

I'm copying my gunmetal remastered/calculator/icon.png into my phonedmg/

so first i need to go to the directory on my iphone,

at the prompt, iPhone:/Applications/# cd Calculator.app

you should now see: iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/#

at the prompt, iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/# putfile icon.png

BOOM it should be done. no waiting, just boom! if so - you can make sure it copied by stopping here and do the following:

iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/# cd /System/Library/Lockdown
    iPhone:/System/Library/Lockdown# putfile Services.plist
    iPhone:/System/Library/Lockdown# exit

which should return you to the prompt, $

UH OH... did you just check your phone and not see your new icon???? OH NO what did you do! just kidding.. restart your phone like normal (power off). Power on, and BOOM! Your icon.

VOILA! not quite as easy as it sounded since there were steps in between the lines... i thought many of you would appreciate a FULL tutorial.

If you wanna do more go fur!

Wanna change the springboard stuff?? Well do the following:

at the prompt, iPhone:/System/Library# cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/
    you should see: iPhone:/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/#

I just went ahead and copied all the files for the SpringBoard into my phonedmg directory.

If you want custom icons I can make them for you too

Happy modding.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rjmccorkle For This Useful Post:

JakeyBoy (2007-08-06)

Didnt read the whole thing but it looks very indepth and detailed, good job.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Old School Gaming Matrix
    Deviant Art
    "Don't think you can, know you can"

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by rjmccorkle View Post
    osx how to IN DETAIL: - as of aug 5 07 anyhow...
    (for those of you whom have trouble getting it working... like I did)

***NOTE TO NEW USERS: if you've never modded before or you tried once and failed, you've come to the right place. Don't fret, most of us have to restore if we don't get it right the first time or if we muck something up or if the jailbreak just times out for whatever reason cuz we were busy browsing themes instead of putting files... if you have to restore don't fret about the "activate" part- just keep using itunes and let it restore, you don't have to pay activation or anything, you're simply restoring factory settings. just like a reset key, only this is in software. Also, I've tested shutting down the process and my phone at all kinds of different points throughout the process to ensure it wouldn't hose cuz of something stupid- the only thing you need to be sure of is to finish the Services.plist portion of the instructions when you've successfully transferred files. So, I wish you all happy carefree modding!****

first off - let's double check that you haven't hosed your phone... connect to itunes and make sure it doesn't ask you to restore. If it does you may want to make sure that it also doesn't say anything funky about your file space availability... like capacity in MB instead of GB. if so, do a restore to factory settings (which isn't always a bad idea anyhow). In order to make the process faster, uncheck all those things you wanted to sync previously and wait til you're all done modding.

now, let's get a clean restart of your phone so it's not confused and jailbreak doesn't tell you how things just didn't work out... so restart your iphone normally.

turn power on normally
    start a new terminal session

before we jailbreak, let's make sure all your itunes is closed. open activity monitor and shut down all itunes related processes.

make sure you've copied in ALL the files you need ( i make a backup in case while i'm working something in my current phonedmg gets corrupted, i don't have to go redownload EVERYTHING again). Your phonedmg folder should look as follows (16 files total, about 101 MB worth):

694-5259-38.dmg Services.plist
    694-5262-39.dmg iPhoneInterface
    Firmware icon.png
    Makefile.osx iphoneinterface.dev
    Makefile.win jailbreak
    MobileDevice.h kernelcache.restore.release.s5l8900xrb
    README main.cpp
    Readme.txt tree.cpp
    Restore.plist

**if you already have these files and had a failure last time, you might also want to delete ALL phonedmg and start fresh to ensure nothing's corrupt. I grabbed a fresh copy from the Guides portion of modmyi.com

at the prompt, $ cd phonedmg
    at the prompt, $ ./jailbreak

your terminal should say:
    [jailbreak 1.0] by ziel w/ special thanks to GeoHot and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew.

Looking for iPhone...

restart your phone using power and home key. hold it down until you get the CONNECT TO ITUNES AND the terminal says both of the following:

Sending Files...

*** If iTunes is running, please close it.
    *** Hold the POWER and HOME buttons for approximately 25s.
    *** Release when the display says 'Please Connect to iTunes'.

Sending More Files...
    Booting iPhone...

NOW let go, and you should start to see that wonderful progress spinning image.

it'll say,
    Waiting for iPhone to finish booting...

then finally something along the lines of:

Moving files into place...
    Cleaning up...
    Rebooting iPhone...

Enjoy your newfound freedom. Thank the devs at #iphone next time you see them for making this all possible.
    p.s. Like most other useful tools, this one may be dangerous if used carelessly. Always remember -- You brick it, you bought it.

p.p.s. I have no idea how 'My Humps' could possibly have gotten set as your ringtone.

you'll now get your prompt back ($) followed by the neat lil sound from your phone that it's restarted

at the prompt, $ ./iphoneinterface

you should now see:

iPhoneInterface v0.3.3 built on Jul 29 2007

Waiting for phone... established.
    iPhone state: Activated
    type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# ls
    Applications
    Library
    System
    bin
    cores
    dev
    etc
    mach
    private
    sbin
    tmp
    usr
    var
    iPhone:/#

congratulations, you've successfully FINALLY jailbreaked!.. jailbroke... whatever.

at the prompt, iPhone:/# cd Applications/

you'll see: iPhone:/Applications/#

if you do an ls, you'll see:
    iPhone:/Applications/# ls
    Calculator.app
    DemoApp.app
    FieldTest.app
    Maps.app
    MobileCal.app
    MobileMail.app
    MobileMusicPlayer.app
    MobileNotes.app
    MobilePhone.app
    MobileSMS.app
    MobileSafari.app
    MobileSlideShow.app
    MobileTimer.app
    Preferences.app
    Stocks.app
    Weather.app
    YouTube.app

now the part that most everyone didn't know, YOU HAVE TO PUT icon.png files ONE AT A TIME! So copy your icon.png into your user/phonedmg/icon.png one at a time for EACH of the icons you want to replace. let me spell it out for you to make sure you're not confused:

I'm copying my gunmetal remastered/calculator/icon.png into my phonedmg/

so first i need to go to the directory on my iphone,

at the prompt, iPhone:/Applications/# cd Calculator.app

you should now see: iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/#

at the prompt, iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/# putfile icon.png

BOOM it should be done. no waiting, just boom! if so - you can make sure it copied by stopping here and do the following:

iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/# cd /System/Library/Lockdown
    iPhone:/System/Library/Lockdown# putfile Services.plist
    iPhone:/System/Library/Lockdown# exit

which should return you to the prompt, $

UH OH... did you just check your phone and not see your new icon???? OH NO what did you do! just kidding.. restart your phone like normal (power off). Power on, and BOOM! Your icon.

VOILA! not quite as easy as it sounded since there were steps in between the lines... i thought many of you would appreciate a FULL tutorial.

If you wanna do more go fur!

Wanna change the springboard stuff?? Well do the following:

at the prompt, iPhone:/System/Library# cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/
    you should see: iPhone:/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/#

I just went ahead and copied all the files for the SpringBoard into my phonedmg directory.

If you want custom icons I can make them for you too

Happy modding.
    I tried using the iActivator program and for some reason i cant start my iphone anymore. It hangs when the Apple sign appears during reboot. I tried connecting it to iTunes but no luck there. It simply wont start. Can i do something about it ?? Help please.