Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP, I'm a iPhone n00b.

Thanks

Default HELP, I'm a iPhone n00b.
    Okay, I don't understand anything about updating/unlocking/activating my iPhone . I tried searching through the forums but couldn't really find what I thought I needed. I bought my 16gb iPhone off eBay already unlocked (it was 1.1.3 when I pulled it out, using in Australia - not available here yet).

Can someone please tell me how to update to 1.1.4 without bricking it? Whats the easiest way to do it? Where do I download the stuff I need? Step by step?

I kinda understand all the PSP modding and homebrew, but this stuff is just messing with my head and getting more and more confusing by the minute.

If anyone could help me, or shove me to a post they know of that will help, that would be awesome.

PS. Love what you guys are doing with all this stuff. It wouldn't as good a gadget as it is without modding

1. Update to 1.1.4 by opening iTunes and click update yes, im not kidding
    2. Download ZiPhone and click "Do It All", Although I highly recommend iDemocracy 3 but if your a complete iPhone noob then I would say ziphone's do it all button is the answer lol but when you get more experienced, definitely use iDemocracy.
    3. There you go, its that easy lol

If you need more help you can visit my blog just look for it on google just type bilsta57 into google.
    Last edited by bilsta57; 2008-05-27 at 04:58 PM.
    To check out my blog just type bilsta57 into the google search bar

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

do a search here for winpwn (for pc) or pwnage (for mac) and follow that guide or you can google that too. they also have instructions on iclarified.com on how to use both of these programs.

and fyi. when you restore, etc. you should always put your phone into recovery mode when rather than just click update as mentioned above. when you jailbreak or rejailbreak, you want your phone to start off with a clean slate.

@jtesnani: lol, the reason I didn't say restore was cause, then you would have to find the 1.1.4 download link then place it in documents/desktop etc. and from there you hold SHIFT and click restore on windows or hold ALT/OPTION and click restore on mac. So that would just complicate things. But yes its is Much! preferred if you did a restore rather than an upgrade.
    To check out my blog just type bilsta57 into the google search bar

Thanks

ok, I'm a bit suss on using ziphone because read on a different thread that it doesn't work because the the baseband version (?) and the 16gb iphone's have a different version or something. Could someone explain what baseband is? (and is that the BL version thing aswell?)

Or could you link the how-to for the restore mode way?

I just really don't want to brick it and whatever the safest way is I'd much rather try that. BTW I'm using windows.