Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Well, I am stumped! Any input appreciated.

Default Well, I am stumped! Any input appreciated.
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I am definitely not new to this whole phone hacking game but I am at a point that is driving me nuts.

I started with a 1.1.1 OTB 8G iPhone. I have chopped and hacked my way all the way to 1.1.4 with little to no problems that I haven't figured out by digging through the forums. I have used all applications compatible with a PC as I have no Mac. I am now stuck with no answer.

I have d/led the latest WinPwn and built a few custom IPSW files and loaded them onto my phone. I only build the IPSWs with a few necessary apps and do the rest from Installer. I load a whole lot of apps which I always have done, as I said, with little to no problems. When I do load apps through Installer I load 4-6 and then restart the phone to ensure there are no conflicts. I do this through my whole list of apps and then start arranging my icons and setting my settings after my whole list is installed.

A few days ago I installed an app through Installer and when I hit the Home button my iPhone showed me the loading circle window as usual but it din't go away. I gave it some time and eventually held Home and Sleep button to reset it. When it booted back up it was stuck on the startup logo. I eventually restored it from that point with a different IPSW after multiple reboot attempts with no luck. Everything went okay for a day or two and then it happened again. This time I figured out that it was turning WiFi on and I could get to the file system with WinSCP. I started in the /Applications folder which is obviously just a symlink done by BossTool. I deleted a random xxx.app folder and boom my iPhone magically boots right up. I though it was that xxx.app. I then tried another Installer app and the same thing all over again. This time when I finally got into the file system I deleted a different xxx.app folder and boom my iPhone boots right up again.

I can install any app from Installer and delete any folder in the /Applications folder and my phone will boot right up. It doesn't even have to be the app that I just installed. I am thinking of just going back to 1.1.3 for now but I do love my custom boot logo.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this or what I am doing wrong?

Sorry for the novel. I just wanted to make sure that I included all details that I could think of.
    Last edited by sr20_00; 2008-05-26 at 04:41 AM.

I would give the stock 1.1.4 firmware a try and maybe a use iLiberty...

iPhone? More like MyPhone bomiz96's Avatar
    Thanks

Well. Try Restoring it in DFU Mode. To 1.1.4 After its Finished just open Ziphone and Jailbreak it. And then Try Pwning it and then load the custom firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by bomiz96 View Post
    Well. Try Restoring it in DFU Mode. To 1.1.4 After its Finished just open Ziphone and Jailbreak it. And then Try Pwning it and then load the custom firmware.
    Thanks for that idea but I have tried that route to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    I would give the stock 1.1.4 firmware a try and maybe a use iLiberty...
    I have not tried using iLiberty from stock firmware with 1.1.4 so I may try that route. I just wonder if I could winPwn afterwards to load my custom boot logo. That is really my only concern and reason I haven't just gone back to 1.1.3 where I didn't have these issues.

Your problem seems to be related with the 80 apps limit on the iPhone. When you reach that limit the phone hangs until you delete one app. The solution is to install Summerboard 3.2. Only installing it you break that limit, you dont need to do anything more with Summerboard.

(sorry for my siouxglish) ;-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yul For This Useful Post:

sr20_00 (2008-05-27)

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Your problem seems to be related with the 80 apps limit on the iPhone. When you reach that limit the phone hangs until you delete one app. The solution is to install Summerboard 3.2. Only installing it you break that limit, you dont need to do anything more with Summerboard.

(sorry for my siouxglish) ;-)

What an eye opener for me. I had no clue there was an app limit on the phone. That is quite possibly the reason and I don't install SMB anymore. Now that I sit down and think about the whole thing, these problems started about the time I uninstalled it from my phone.

Thank you much fo your input. I took the input last night and DFUed, ZiPhoned, WinPwned just to load custom boot logos even though I have taken that route before. I am going to install SMB right now and continue with my customization and see how it goes.

Yeah, you have two app number limits on the iPhone: the 80 app limit, solved by SMB 3.2 and the 9 pages on the Springboard limit that limits your apps to 144 and can be solved using Categories.

Thanks button will be apreciated. ;-)

Totally forgot. I appreciate them too. I knew of the categories long before but didn't know of a nine page app limit. Thanks for that info also. I now have SMB even though not using it on my iPhone and all seems to be okay thus far.

Well since I started this thread I have followed all suggestions and at some point during setup the same problem happened again. This last time I thought I had everything running well and I had finally got all my aps into their respective categories. I was then folowing a guide on thespicychicken.com to get customize working corrrectly. One of the steps to uninstall Summerboard and restart. Well my problem started happening all over again after that. I WinSCPed into it and erased every trace of SMB and restored the original Springboard.plist file found in system/library/launch daemons as some ohave said that has worked.

I even went as far as to uninstall every single 3rd party app just by deleting their folder in /Applications. Nothing would bring my phone back to life. I eventually just had to hit plain restore in iTunes which brought it back to life on 1.1.4.

I am now going to downgrade back to 1.1.3 as that is where I seemed to not have these sort of issues. It seems to be an issue with 1.1.4 and a combination of some of my apps that I am running. I wish I could figure out what and I could see which app that I could live without but I have already tried that by installing minimal apps at one point.
    "Count your blessings. Make your blessings count!"

Is that an iPhone in your pocket?