Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP!!!Need to virginize iphone to return to apple.

Default HELP!!!Need to virginize iphone to return to apple.
    HI All,

I bought the iphone in the month of may( yes, 20 days back) and it has conked off. Hence I need to return it to apple.

The problem is that I have jailbroken+unloack+activated using ziphone 3.0. My question is , how do I virgnize it so that I can claim warranty. My questions are
    1. Do i need to use ziphone ?
    2. or only itunes restore is enough ?
    3. or is there some other tool ?
    4. If I need to restore which version should I restore to ( I bought my phone in May)?
    5. Do I need to upgrade/downgrade bootloader ?

Details about the phone:

Firmware: 1.1.4
    Bootloader : not sure.( does Ziphone3.0 downgrade the bootloader from 4.6 to 3.9 ? Do I need to upgrade the bootloader ? If yes, how do I do it? )
    Modem firmware: 04.04.05_G ( Do I need to upgrade or downgrade this version too ? )

I am not sure about the firmware and bootloader version before using ziphone.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers
    Chin

your bootloader is fine. just do a restore through itunes and it'll put 1.1.4 back on there and re-install your phone like it was OTB

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I found this article online while searching for something quite unrelated:-

Apple iPhone: Data fears over second-hand iPhones - Telegraph

Most of the users of this forum will already know when you delete a file or program on a computer hard drive really you just take away the information as to where it was stored - so unless you put data over it can be recovered using data recovery programs or other methods.

I hadn't really thought of the flash memory in the ipod / iphone as the same way, but it is just a flash disk so I suppose the theory is the same. So in reality as well as restoring to stock firmware you could do with filling all the flash drive with music / videos to totally erase any of your jailbreaking. Given Jailbreaking is now common knowledge, I could see Apple looking very closely at devices returned under Warranty to see if they can find any trace of a previous jailbreak and therefore not have to honour the Warranty.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

@Keymasture:
    As far as i know the ziphone downgrades your bootloader. Hence we need to upgrade it to 4.6 to make it factory/

@RobC
    Even I read this. Is there anyone who has been turned down by apple for jailbreaking ??

Hi,

I have an iPhone with FW 1.0.2. Here is my problem:

I unlocked my phone using Independence and unlock from these very pages on modmyi.com. I have been using my iPhone with an international carrier as I live outside the US but I also have the phone with the original carrier I activated with, AT&T for when I make trips back to the states.

I recently had the dead strip problems on the bottom two rows of programs on my iPhone. Now, I want to return my phone to Apple to see if I can get a new one since the problem is from the manufacturer. Now, I know the phone is unlocked therefore voids the warranty. My question is how do I virginize my phone to get back to its original state so that I can make the change with Apple? Again my phone has dead strips so I cannot even get into Settings to activate Wi-Fi and use the virginize program.

Is it a lost cause? Anyone else had this experience? Or should see if Apple will honor since I am still an AT&T customer, even if my phone is unlocked.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    James

Default how to virginize
    I need to return my iphone to apple store and got some instructions on how to virginze my iphone.
    now people discuss about baseband, firmware, version and so on.

I even don't know, what version I had, when I bought my 16GB iphone in April this year.
    can I do something wrong?
    I need to exchange it on my next trip to the USA, because I live in europe.

please give me clear instructions, so they accept my warranty return.

thx

I'd love to hear any follow-ups on the virginizing of your phones. Any success/ war stories?

I have to send mine in as well, and want to know what works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    just restore in itunes is enough.they don't check software at store level. i brought mine back yesterday and got a new one in 10 mins. love the apple store.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^+1

What about at the mail-in level? I don't have an apple store within 300 miles.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klonaton View Post
    What about at the mail-in level? I don't have an apple store within 300 miles.
    You should have no problems at all if you restore. There are prolly million jailbroken phones out there. I have ever heard tales from members that have received replacement even in J/B status, but I would suggest not doing that.

Thanks for the quick replies. Would you assume the same goes for an unlocked phone? I'm somewhat worried about them checking the baseband, modem firmware, or other attribute that might have been altered and I'm not fully familiar with.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    if its being sent in for cosmetic reasons, they just do a visual check and hook it up to itunes to verify it is working. if it is software related they do do a little exploration, nothing major tho. if the apple "expert" has already talked to you, given you a case number, and has verified they are cross shipping you one, you have nothing to worry about.