Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Stuck in DFU mode undetected by itunes

Default Iphone Stuck in DFU mode undetected by itunes
    Ok i was originally running 1.1.1 fully unlocked and jail broken etc.

I was trying to upgrade to 1.1.4 using ziphone.

I loaded ziphone and clicked "Prepare for upgrade" so it started entering DFU mode etc.

Now my iphone has a screen where there is a white cable, and an arrow indicating to connect to itunes.

Ok so i connect the iphone to the cable, but nothing happens in itunes.

my computer will not detect the iphone at all. The only thing that happens every time i connect/reboot is the windows pop up says its detected an iphone in recovery mode, and then it cant find the driver update etc.

So itunes cant detect my iphone, and its in a mdoe which i cant do anything with..

Please help me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flaime View Post
    Ok i was originally running 1.1.1 fully unlocked and jail broken etc.

I was trying to upgrade to 1.1.4 using ziphone.

I loaded ziphone and clicked "Prepare for upgrade" so it started entering DFU mode etc.

Now my iphone has a screen where there is a white cable, and an arrow indicating to connect to itunes.

Ok so i connect the iphone to the cable, but nothing happens in itunes.

my computer will not detect the iphone at all. The only thing that happens every time i connect/reboot is the windows pop up says its detected an iphone in recovery mode, and then it cant find the driver update etc.

So itunes cant detect my iphone, and its in a mdoe which i cant do anything with..

Please help me

Thanks
    Did you click on the ziphone "restart in normal mode" ?

I just tried but its not working.

It does not detect the iphone, so i would assume it is in DFU mode?

Really need some help :S

i just uninstalled itunes and reinstalled an earlier version (7.5) but itunes still is not detecting my iphone.

I keep holding the power and home button and restarting but it is not detected.
    Last edited by Flaime; 2008-05-21 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Flaime View Post
    I just tried but its not working.

It does not detect the iphone, so i would assume it is in DFU mode?

Really need some help :S

i just uninstalled itunes and reinstalled an earlier version (7.5) but itunes still is not detecting my iphone.

I keep holding the power and home button and restarting but it is not detected.
    You need the latest version of itunes. You also need the 1.1.4 iphone restore ipsw which you can get at:
    ModMyI.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock - Downloads - iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware

Download it and put on your desktop. get you iphone back into restore mode and when itunes says it found it in restore mode. Shift click on the restore button, navigate to your desktop where you put the restore ipsw file, select it and run. When you are finished, setup your iphone as NEW. Then use your favorite jailbreak tool.
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-05-21 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    You need the latest version of itunes. You also need the 1.1.4 iphone restore ipsw which you can get at:
    ModMyI.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock - Downloads - iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware

Download it and put on your desktop. get you iphone back into restore mode and when itunes says it found it in restore mode. Shift click on the restore button, navigate to your desktop where you put the restore ipsw file, select it and run. When you are finished, setup your iphone as NEW. Then use your favorite jailbreak tool.
    I've tried that also but then the problem with trying to restore the phone is that I can't get itunes to detect the iphone through the USB port. also because the iphone isn't even detected i can't use that file and run a new firmware for it

Quote Originally Posted by amon View Post
    I've tried that also but then the problem with trying to restore the phone is that I can't get itunes to detect the iphone through the USB port. also because the iphone isn't even detected i can't use that file and run a new firmware for it
    Try another usb port and/or if available, try a different computer.

Another thought, you say that you screen shows the cable and itunes logo. That is not DFU. The screen will be black when in DFU mode. Hold both the power and home key until the screen turns black. CONTINUE to hold the home button while plugging into your computer. In 20 seconds or so, Itunes should recognize it.
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-05-22 at 08:50 PM.

I've ran it on DFU mode from the cable and the itunes logo on 2 different computers still the same thing itunes doesn't detect the phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

If you can see the cable on the screen you are probably not in DFU mode. Open iTunes, connect the phone to the computer and do the following:

Hold down the power and home button together until the screen goes blank, then count to 5 before letting up on the power button. Keep holding the home button in until the computer beeps to let you know it's found a USB Device.

Then you should be in DFU mode and iTunes should detect the iPhone needing to be restored. If the phone just restarted and showed the cable again it means you did something wrong and you need to try the DFU instructions again.
    Last edited by navalynt; 2008-05-22 at 11:18 PM.

DFU Mode looks like the iPhone is off.

If you're not good with timing, you can just hold both buttons until it turns off, let go of power anytime before apple logo shows up, then while holding the home button, disconnect and reconnect the cable until it shows up in iTunes. The iPhone should look like its off.

So i went out for a bit and put this aside for a little while and when i came back i turned the phone to DFU mode and afterwards turned it off and turned it back on itunes detected it and now it's updating

Quote Originally Posted by amon View Post
    So i went out for a bit and put this aside for a little while and when i came back i turned the phone to DFU mode and afterwards turned it off and turned it back on itunes detected it and now it's updating
    Glad you are on the road to success!

Thanks

For a step by step walkthrough you can search via TUBE - search video for "ZiPhone 3.0 - a walkthrough on iPhone upgrade to 1.1.4". Good Luck.

what's the difference between dfu mode and the one showing the cable?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misskalunji View Post
    what's the difference between dfu mode and the one showing the cable?
    Here's your answer:
    DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode is not the same as restore mode. DFU mode bypasses the current OS installed and allows you to upgrade or downgrade your OS. If you are getting errors trying to restore in iTunes, DFU mode is very likely for you.

This is how to achieve DFU mode. You can do it on every phone:

* Attach the phone to the pc
    * Turn the phone off
    * Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    * Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    * At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Courtesy of BigBoss! :-)

oh i read that but missed that part thanks

I have exactly the same problem, my iphone was jailbroken for 2 years, and then yesterday i upgraded te sofware and it now shows a connector cable and an arrow pointing to itunes, i have tried so many diffferent ways and i am completly stuck, any advice? Thanks