Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.2 => 1.1.1 => jailbreak: now no phone service

Default 1.1.2 => 1.1.1 => jailbreak: now no phone service
    I've spent about 90 minutes searching and reading the forums before resorting to posting a new thread, so I did try to do my homework...

Here's my story:

Had a jailbroken (not unlocked) 1.1.1 phone that I upgraded to 1.1.2.

Using the jailbreak app (currently on the home page of this site) i tried to jailbreak -unsuccessfully. (Couldnt get past the "osx" step -- couldnt find the .jar file. I tried all the fixes for that, but to no avail..)

"Upgraded" back to 1.1.2, then downgraded to 1.1.1.

Then jailbroke with the jailbreakme.com site.

Now, I have no phone service -- just _ _ _ _ where the ATT was.

I assume I am properly activated since in iTunes my phone number shows up.

Ugh! I dont want to go back to 1.1.2. Any thoughts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem, so its currently at 1.1.2 because I need to use my phone.

Well, at least I'm not the only one...

After installing 1.1.1 when the phone restarts, iTunes asks if you want to restore the previous user or start as a new phone. I've always tried restoring my previous settings.

Wondering if I chose "set up as new phone" if that would make a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    Well, at least I'm not the only one...

After installing 1.1.1 when the phone restarts, iTunes asks if you want to restore the previous user or start as a new phone. I've always tried restoring my previous settings.

Wondering if I chose "set up as new phone" if that would make a difference...
    No it won't help

What's happened is that by updating to 1.1.2 you also updated the baseband to 4.02X. When downgrading to 1.1.1 that causes a conflict since 1.1.1 baseband is 4.01X. The result is the no service

if you're a "legit" AT&T or O2 customer (As in paying for an iPhone plan) just upgrade back to 1.1.2 and wait for a jailbreak method that works with your computer (If you can't use the OSX files it's probably because you're not on an Intel Mac. Do you have access to a Windows machine?)

Otherwise you'll need to downgrade to 1.0.2, virginize and update to 1.1.1 from there
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

Well, I managed to get everything working (i.e. a jail-broken 1.1.2, AT&T Activated phone).

Here's what I did:
    [1] From my 1.1.2 phone, downgraded to 1.1.1 (via iTunes Alt+Restore)
    [2] Went to jailbreakme.com to install the AppSnapp
    [3] From Installer, installed the OKtoPrep
    [4] Updated to 1.1.2 in iTunes

Previously, when I tried running the 1.1.2 jailbreak osx application, I got stuck with the error "unable to access jarfilejailbreak.jar". So I did some more reading and searching and did the following to get it to work.

[1] Moved the 1.1.2 Jailbreak folder to my desktop
    [2] Renamed it "1" (for simplicity sake)
    [3] In Terminal typed cd ~/Desktop/1 (to point Terminal to the correct folder)
    [4] Then in Terminal typed ./osx (to run the osx program)

That got me past the "unable to access jarfile" part. Once the process completed, I was left with a Jailbroken 1.1.2 phone that can make phone calls...

What a waste of 24 hours for an "upgrade" (1.1.1=>1.1.2) that does nothing for me (I don't need international keyboards and don't care what my battery charge is while in iTunes). I just can't stop tinkering....

This is correct. You can't upgrade to 1.1.2 and then downgrade to 1.1.1 and still have a fully functional phone.

I am running a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone.

Here are the steps that I took.

- Downgraded to 1.1.1 from 1.1.2
    - I had to use AppTapp to kick the phone out of DFU mode at the end of the 1.1.1 restore.
    - Since I didn't have edge service after going back to 1.1.1, I used WiFi connect to jailbreakme.com and jailbroke my 1.1.1 phone.
    - I then used the Installer to install the OktoPrep app. You must do this before upgrading to 1.1.2.
    - Then I upgraded to 1.1.2 (Note that this is NOT a Restore).
    - After the upgrade and activation was complete I had a fully functional "jailed" 1.1.2.phone.
    - I then jailbroke my 1.1.2 phone using 1.1.2-jailbreak available here. http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

The 1.1.2 jailbreak mentioned above runs on both Mac and PC.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sbuko; 2007-11-13 at 08:10 PM.

Hmm....I'm having trouble with the 1.1.2 jailbreak. I tried the steps from the previous post which lets me get past the "unable to access jar file" message, but now it keeps telling me that my iphone is not connected.

I've tried unconnecting, reconnecting, restarting, quitting itunes, running itunes. Still no luck. Any thoughts?

Try disconnecting your phone.
    Rebooting your pc.
    Plugging in your phone and wait for iTunes to start.
    Sync with iTunes, etc.
    Then close iTunes and run "windows.bat"

I'm on a mac. And I tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, quitting itunes, etc. still get the same message that it's not connected. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    I've spent about 90 minutes searching and reading the forums before resorting to posting a new thread, so I did try to do my homework...

Here's my story:

Had a jailbroken (not unlocked) 1.1.1 phone that I upgraded to 1.1.2.

Using the jailbreak app (currently on the home page of this site) i tried to jailbreak -unsuccessfully. (Couldnt get past the "osx" step -- couldnt find the .jar file. I tried all the fixes for that, but to no avail..)

"Upgraded" back to 1.1.2, then downgraded to 1.1.1.

Then jailbroke with the jailbreakme.com site.

Now, I have no phone service -- just _ _ _ _ where the ATT was.

I assume I am properly activated since in iTunes my phone number shows up.

Ugh! I dont want to go back to 1.1.2. Any thoughts?

i still have the same problem with no signal on my iphone, i'm a windows user and i have followed everything on guide for jailbreak 1.1.2.

HELP PLEASE !

What I did to finally get it working I've detailed above. (Sorry, can't help you with the Windows-specific steps...)

Evidently, once the phone is at 1.1.2 and you downgrade to 1.1.1 (in the process of jailbreaking back to 1.1.2), you will lose your phone service until you get 1.1.2 back on your phone -- either through a regular restore, or by getting the 1.1.2 Jailbreak to work.