Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Starting, Benefits, Risks

Default Starting, Benefits, Risks
    I am new here but before I even touched the iphone I knew if I got one I wanted to mod it, customize the whole thing. But after recieving the Iphone as a gift I've become incredibly nervous about modding it, I have read many horror stories and have a few question I would like to ask. If these have been stated before I am sorry.

I know that, having a 1.1.1 phone, I can goto jailbreakme.com on my iphone and do everything at once. Is there any benefit to this over the other methods or are they the same, just automated versus non automated.

I heard 1.1.2 is coming out on friday, would it be best to mod it quickly before 1.1.2 or should I wait for 1.1.2 to come out and wait for your additions to the site to mod with? If this is an opinion type thing what would be the benefits of both sides?

What risks do I run, is the iphone easily bricked? If I do not update blindly can I really screw anything up? (I know my way around a computer and won't do anything incredibly stupid)

I keep seeing "restore to factory setting" thrown out, is that restore detectable? If my phone were to take damage that is covered by the warranty could I restore my settings and bring it in for replacement? or would they detect that it had been modded?

Last question, Are any original iphone features lost? I modded my razr and that was hell, the text messages got screwy and it was just no good. I like the way the iphone works and flows and I don't want to lose any of that at the moment.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this.

,Pyro

Holy hell! A n00b who's actually done his homework!

1. I've done them both. The automated way was a hell of a lot easier.

2. I'd mod before 1.1.2. It may take the dev team a while to break 1.1.2

3. I've downgraded mine from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 and then went back up to 1.1.1 about 5 times so far. Phone was originally 1.0.2. You seem to have done your homework. You should be fine.

4. I'm not sure, but I think if you restore it to "factory" you should be able to stick it to apple if the IMEI numbers match. Incidentally, mine have always matched after unlocking my phone over and over.

5. No iphone features are lost that I'm aware of.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital Oxygen For This Useful Post:

pyro3rg (2007-11-07)

Thank you for the reply, also for noticing that I have infact looked into this lol. What are some apps I should get?

oh also, doesn't Itunes auto update? How can I sync more music (while waiting for a new modded 1.1.2) without updating?

Is there a way to backup your phone book incase of an emergency restore?
    Last edited by pyro3rg; 2007-11-07 at 05:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyro3rg View Post
    oh also, doesn't Itunes auto update? How can I sync more music (while waiting for a new modded 1.1.2) without updating?
    iTunes doesn't auto-update anything, it always asks for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by pyro3rg View Post
    Is there a way to backup your phone book incase of an emergency restore?
    iTunes backs up your phonebook automatically, if you sync it that is. Or you can make a backup of the folder AddressBook located in var/root/library.
    Last edited by Destructo; 2007-11-07 at 07:26 PM.

Agreed and agreed.

iTunes MAY auto sync (not to be confused with auto update) when it sees your phone. this can be turned off in iTunes' preferences pane.