Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak or Wait?

Default Jailbreak or Wait?
    Hi, this is my first pos. I've lurked here for quite a while beforehand hoping to avoid making any useless threads.

Anyways, onto my dilemma. I recently purchased an 8gb Iphone at the At&T store, and I thought my plan at Verizon was over but it turns out there is still a month left. Since I would like my iphone to be more than just a paper weight, I was wondering if I should jailbreak it? That way I would be able to use its other features.

Now I have asked one of my friends whether I should jailbreak it or wait until I can start a subscription, and he said it would be better to wait. His reason was that if I jailbreak it before proper activation I would have to manually input all my account information which is evidently a pain.

So should I Jailbreak now or wait? And if I Jailbreak now are there any unforseen cons?

Thanks.

Thanks

Yeah, you kind of have to wait unless you're unlocking it as well. That sucks, but oh well. I guarantee you'll love it once you're running 1.1.4 jailbroken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybumz View Post
    Now I have asked one of my friends whether I should jailbreak it or wait until I can start a subscription, and he said it would be better to wait. His reason was that if I jailbreak it before proper activation I would have to manually input all my account information which is evidently a pain.
    o.O I've never heard of this. If you do a restore, then the iPhone will be pretty much none-the-wiser about its earlier jailbroken past and activation will be just the same as an out-of-the-box iPhone. Nobody on AT&T would be doing stuff like this if it introduced permanent changes to their device.

I'd say the answer to your question depends on the type of person you are. Although both jailbreaking poses no risk to your device, you can get into panicky situations where you think you have ruined your $500 device. Although you're able to restore completely, panicking tends to get in the way of being able to follow the precise instructions needed to do so. So if you're naturally jittery, or extra-cautious, then I would wait. Although in 99% of the cases, jailbreaking is painless, in 1% of the cases it can bring about time-consuming problems. So if you don't have time to kill on such things, I would also wait.

Since you're on Verizon, unlocking would not help you anyway, since Verizon is not a GSM network and only unlocking is dangerous at all. Jailbreaking and activating will still let you use your phone as an iPod touch, though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i say jus go ahead n activate it lol, and have 2 phones for a month.

or use one of the many programs, bypass activation and use it as an ipod for a month. then jus restore later? i wouldn't leave a brand new iphone jus sitting there for a month.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

well i activated it with the new version of winpwn. Thanks for the advice guys.