Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH exiting immediately

Default SSH exiting immediately
    Following instructions for virginizing an iphone, got to the point where you SSH into the iphone, and then supposed to "cd /usr/bin", as per ...

You will now see a # prompt on the screen. Good. We are SSH'd into your iPhone's filesystem now.

Type
    cd /usr/bin
    followed by Return.

When I SSH into the phone, I gat a prompt "-sh-3.2#", rather than just "#".

I attempted to execute the "cd /usr/bin" command, and SSH immediately exits after pressing the space bar following the "cd" as per ...

host171:~ xxxxx$ ssh -l root 99.9.9.999
    [email protected]'s password:
    Last login: Mon Nov 5 17:21:37 2007 from 99.9.9.9
    -sh-3.2# cd
    Connection to 99.9.9.999 closed.
    host171:~ xxxxx$

I am running Leopard on a MacBook Pro.

Have googled and searched this forum, but can't find a similar issue.

Are there any know issues with using SSH on Leopard?

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and found a solution?

Thank you,

Peter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Following instructions for virginizing an iphone, got to the point where you SSH into the iphone, and then supposed to "cd /usr/bin", as per ...

You will now see a # prompt on the screen. Good. We are SSH'd into your iPhone's filesystem now.

Type
    cd /usr/bin
    followed by Return.

When I SSH into the phone, I gat a prompt "-sh-3.2#", rather than just "#".

I attempted to execute the "cd /usr/bin" command, and SSH immediately exits after pressing the space bar following the "cd" as per ...

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and found a solution?

Thank you,

Peter.
    You have dropbear (SSHify) installed. Remove it using iNdependence. Then through the installer.app, re-install BSD Subsystem 1.5 and then install OpenSSH, in that order. It'll fix you right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You have dropbear (SSHify) installed. Remove it using iNdependence. Then through the installer.app, re-install BSD Subsystem 1.5 and then install OpenSSH, in that order. It'll fix you right up.
    Thank you for the response.

I thought it might be something like the version of SSH on the phone. I had previously tried de-installing and re-installing SSH with independence.

Sorry for being basic, but I would like a little more guidance. When I originally jailbroke/unlocked the phone (I'm in the UK), I uninstalled apptapp, etc, as it was being done for a friend who just wanted an unlocked phone. Now, I tried to go back to the original instructions for installing those items, but the instructions all seem to have changed, and they assume that these items are already installed.

Can you please point me to a place where I might find the earlier instructions so that I can re-install these items?

Again, thank you for your help.

Peter.

Thanks

K, get the AppTapp installer here: http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

But don't run it! Unzip the file, and then right-click on the program and select 'show contents' from the contextual menu. A folder will open up. In the Resources folder you'll see 'Installer'. Using iFuntastic (from here http://www.iphonealley.com/downloads), copy the 'Installer' app to your iPhone's /Applications folder. Reboot the iPhone, and you'll see installer on the Springboard. Run it, and it'll immediately ask you to update, go ahead. From there, you can install BSD and OpenSSH.

If you need a more detailed step-by-step, it'll have to wait til I get home.

What if we don't want to have installer on the iPhone any longer? Will removing installer.app using iNdependence screw anything up with BSD Subsystems and SSH afterward?
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

Thanks

You can remove the installer if you want. It doesn't affect other systems.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Lost all internet access yesterday evening.

Thank you for your feedback. I think the information you have provided will see me through now. I will try it tonight.

Peter.
    Last edited by PeterP; 2007-11-06 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    K, get the AppTapp installer here: http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

But don't run it! Unzip the file, and then right-click on the program and select 'show contents' from the contextual menu. A folder will open up. In the Resources folder you'll see 'Installer'. Using iFuntastic (from here http://www.iphonealley.com/downloads), copy the 'Installer' app to your iPhone's /Applications folder. Reboot the iPhone, and you'll see installer on the Springboard. Run it, and it'll immediately ask you to update, go ahead. From there, you can install BSD and OpenSSH.

If you need a more detailed step-by-step, it'll have to wait til I get home.
    I have installed iFuntastic, and re-installed Installer.app. I then ran the updates as required and installed OpenSSH. The iPhone now has "DNS Tools", "Community Sources", "BSD Subsystem", "Installer" and "OpenSSH" installed.

Unfortunately, the SSH issue I was originally having is still occurring, as follows ...

PCSMBP01:~ xxxxx$ ssh [email protected]
    [email protected]'s password:
    Last login: Tue Nov 6 21:09:11 2007 from 99.9.9.9
    -sh-3.2# cd
    Connection to 99.9.9.9 closed.
    PCSMBP01:~ xxxxx$

Any other ideas please?

Thank you,

Peter.

You must have missed a few dropbear files. There are several guides on removing the dropbear SSH, by using OpenSSH. You need to make sure you removed all files.

Reako

I have searched for Dropbear, and found a guide to de-installing it here: "http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10176".

None of the specified files exist on the iphone I am trying to virginize. I originally jailbroke/unlocked the iphone myself, following the 1.0.2. guides previously posted on this site. As far as I am aware, I have only ever had OpenSSH installed on the phone.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    Finally found the solution to my problem.

It was the combination of the OpenSSH version and the BSD Subsystem version. I had the latest OpenSSH running, but BSD Subsystem was from the original jailbreak/unlock.

Fixed by ...

Removing OpenSSH again.

Updated BSD Subsystem using Installer, by going to Uninstall function, selecting BSD Subsystem, and then selecting the Reinstall option.

Re-installed OpenSSH.

All OK.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Peter.
    Last edited by PeterP; 2007-11-08 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost