Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sorry to ask but need help

Default Sorry to ask but need help
    Hello,

I have an iphone unlocked to vodafone uk and still has the original firmware on it! Was trying to install something of installer and then phone just went mad! Black and white lines accross the screen and now its stuck on the home screen but nothing works! I can push the home button and the top one but it just goes back to how it is. Is it dead or can i restore/reset it?

I have no idea about this so can you explain it to me like im a 3 year old please.

thanks

Neil

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

what app did you try to install? you can always try to uninstall it manually by ssh'ing into your phone, if you have ssh installed, or if you're on a pc and can access your phone using iphonebrowser...

you can definitely always restore but that's usually the last option as you'd have to reinstall all applications.

when you say your phone has the original firmware it came with, which firmware is that?

I think it is 1.0.2?? It has never been updated from the first original firmware. It is just locked on the home screen and the touch screen just does not work.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you can put it in recovery mode, restore to 1.1.4 and jailbreak/unlock that way. however i've read that you may have to revirginize if you're using an unlocked 1.0.2 (depending on how it was unlocked) prior to upgrading/restoring, so you may want to look into revirginizing here: i.unlock.no

i'm not familiar with that firmware at all so i can't give you more details, but once that's done, restoring and rejailbreaking should be no problem

Ok, wil try and find out what was used to unlock it it in the first place.

If i revirginise it anyway would it cause a problem even if it dont need it?

thanks

Right, i am home and need to try and sort this out.

i have the original firmware when the phone first came out and its locked up and my laptop or itunes wont recognise that the phone is connected! Do i do a restore through itunes and will it upgrade the phone to the latest firmware but then my vodafone sim wont work? Do i put the at&t sim im it to do the restore?

Sorry for all the questions but i dont really have a clue what im doing

Neil
    Last edited by neil1979; 2008-04-23 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost