Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help!! I Just Virginised A 1.0.2 Trying To Upgrade And Having Problems On Step2!

Default Need Help!! I Just Virginised A 1.0.2 Trying To Upgrade And Having Problems On Step2!
    im in desperate need of help! i just tried to upgrade my iphone from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 by using the guides:
    Oct. 24th, 07. - Added Virginizing your 1.0.2 iPhone for Upgrade to 1.1.1 NEW!
    Oct. 24th, 07. - Added Upgrading to 1.1.1
    Oct. 24th, 07. - Added Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Unlock/Modding
    Oct. 24th, 07. - Added Unlocking 1.1.1 iPhone

my iphone was originally unlocked with iunlock and was working fine till i got stuck on step 2. everything was fine for step one, but when it came to step 2, i had to use iNdependance to do the pre 1.1.1 upgrade. i could not press the button and it said that i had to have ssh installed, so u went to the ssh tab and installed it on my iphone.

later, it asked me to restart my iphone. the moment it was on again it could not recognise my sim. am i supposed to get that!? i really dont know. then i clicked the pre 1.1.1 upgrade and followed the instructions. it then said it was succesful. the guide said to QUIT iNdependance THEN click ok on the success msg but HOW AM I SUPPOESED TO DO THAT?? i clicked ok then quit independance.

i then opened itunes and it showed me the set up your new iphone msg like the guide said it was supposed to show, so i followed the procedures and got it done with.

i then clicked the update button in itunes but it didnt show what the guide said it was supposed to. it just said that it was connecting to itunes server blabla n i had to agree to the terms n conditions so on and so forth which i believe is not what i am supposed to get. now, my iphone cannot read my sim card and it has only 300MB OF TOTAL SPACE ON IT!!

after that, i [U]repeatTHE WHOLE OF PART 2, WHICH IS ALL THE STUDFF INVOLVING INDEPENDANCEependance[/I], a few more times and i think during one of the times i left my ITUNES ON!! I REALLY NEED SOME HELP NOW.. im not sure if i have just bricked my iphone.. somebody please help my im very desperate right now

------
    my iphone was originally unlocked with iunlock and was working fine till i got stuck on step 2. everything was fine for step one, but when it came to step 2, i had to use iNdependance to do the pre 1.1.1 upgrade. i could not press the button and it said that i had to have ssh installed, so u went to the ssh tab and installed it on my iphone.

later, it asked me to restart my iphone. the moment it was on again it could not recognise my sim. am i supposed to get that!? i really dont know. then i clicked the pre 1.1.1 upgrade and followed the instructions. it then said it was succesful.
    -----

[it is normal for Independence to require SSH installed. SSH requires two restarts after installation ... the screen tells you this - I have to assume you did both restarts or you wouldn't have been able to move on.

At this point it wouldn't matter whether your SIM was recognised or not, but if you were able to do the pre 1.1.1 step, you were still on track as far as I can see.

-----
    the guide said to QUIT iNdependance THEN click ok on the success msg but HOW AM I SUPPOESED TO DO THAT?? i clicked ok then quit independance.
    -----

[This step wanted you to open iTunes (while Independence is still running), and, *if* you saw the iTunes "Set up your iPhone" screen, *then* set up that screen. Otherwise and/or once iTunes was ready to go, click the "OK" button in *Independence*.

When iTunes gives you the "Success" message **then** quit Independence and go back into iTunes and hit "Update" (not "Restore"). This will put 1.1.1 on your phone]

-----
    i then clicked the update button in itunes but it didnt show what the guide said it was supposed to. it just said that it was connecting to itunes server blabla n i had to agree to the terms n conditions so on and so forth which i believe is not what i am supposed to get. now, my iphone cannot read my sim card and it has only 300MB OF TOTAL SPACE ON IT!!
    -----

[Again, not the time to worry about the SIM card - you haven't activated the phone yet. Most important thing to know here is whether or not you got the 1.1.1 update installed correctly.

The last paragraph of the guide reads:
    You should get a message saying Your iPhone has been updated...
    Congratulations! You're updated to 1.1.1! Now, do NOT connect to iTunes yet, as you will only have 300 MB of available space - we're not quite done. We next have to get the iPhone prepped for modding, then we can unlock it.

Connecting to iTunes won't hurt anything (at least not if you don't start fooling round) - that warning was there so that you don't *start* fooling around in iTunes.

It is normal to have a 300MB iPhone at this stage.]

If all you have done is step 2 over a few times, you're probably OK - if Independence says you have version 1.1.1 firmware and are jailed and not activated you're good to move on to step 3 - activating.

If step 1 worked correctly and you cannot activate due to something in step 2, you may well have messed something up, but even in a worst case scenario, you can use Independence & iTunes to downgrade back to 1.0.2 and take another run at it.

There are instructions in the help menu of Independence if you need to go there, but if you struggled with the visual guide, you should really lay things out and go slow. I really doubt that your phone is screwed, but you are very close to being off the "fix it by email" path.

best wishes, questions welcome

oh i see. thanks so much for the help so far. however, there is still the thing that when i click update, it does not show what the guide said t would. instead of just showing that i was downloading the update, i saw something like connecting to itunes ad then i had to agree to some terms and conditions. is that supposed to happen? im a noob at this so sorry if i dont quite understand everything and hav to keep asking questions to clarify

You're seeing that because your copy of iTunes had never downloaded the 1.1.1 update. iTunes can download and store updates. It keeps them in your user library in the iTunes folder, and, if you had a local copy, your screen would have matched the guide.

Apple always has the software legalese you need to OK before you download. In this case, they also had a warning about what might happen if you had messed with your phone ;-)

If you can get through step 2 with Independence reporting 1.1.1 and "Unactivated" and "Jailed", you are good to move on to step 3

Step 3 will restore your missing memory space and activate/jailbreak the phone.

oh thx. but when i finished downloading the update and it is updating the iphone already is the stuff shown during the process same as what it should be or is it different due to the fact that im using independance? cos if not i would not know if im doing things right and might end up bricking my iphone. by the way thanks for you help so far really appreciated it

Just to be clear, you're using PF's guide and are on the page called "Upgrading 1.0.2 iPhone to 1.1.1" and are on "Step 2"

Did you not get Downloading, Extracting, Preparing, Updating, Verifying dialog boxes while this step was running?

i think so. the link is http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_1.0.2_iPhone_to_1.1.1 i have not updated my iphone yet as im still not sure. reason being i have done the independance thing many times already. should i repeat the whole process again before updaing or is it safe for me to just plug in my iphone now and updae it?

You can always get the status of the phone from Independence. Look at the bottom of the window for the status line - if Independence is telling you that you have Firmware 1.1.1 and are not activated and are still in jail, you should be good to move on.