Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone shutting down when put to sleep

Default iPhone shutting down when put to sleep
    I picked up a second iPhone after I found it damaged at my previous job. I'm using one as my main pure version and the other as my jailbroken one to play around with.

My jailbroken (its also unlocked because I was going to give it to my girlfriend but I changed my mind) unit is cool, but I notice that after I hit the sleep button and leave it alone for a few minutes, I have to boot the phone up again because it automatically shuts off. I browsed the forums for this problem, and tried the search too but it couldn't identify the problem (I'm new to the jailbreak/unlock scene).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is not a normal everyday problem with a quick fix. Your best bet is to restore in iTunes back to factory and see if it has the same problem. If it does it's a hardware issue... if it doesn't then re-jailbreak.

Yea it didn't seem normal. From some of the reading I've done about jailbreaking I knew it want terribly stable, bit I've never heard of a problem like this.

As far as restoring it with out it bricking my phone..is this the part where I would shutdown using home/sleep button then release one (I think its the sleep button)? Or do I have the phone reset itself?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Just plug into iTunes and hit the RESTORE button and it will do everything for you.

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I'll post my results.

No dice. I restored, jailbroke it with ZiPhone and installed the apps I had previously and for no reason my iPhone just keeps shutting down when I sleep it. I'm going to try to jailbreak my slightly older phone and see if I have the same problem. I'm contemplating restoring it and bringing it back to the Apple store to get a new one.

It's final. It's a hardware problem. I restored the phone to a fresh factory state and it's still going off for no reason at all. I'll bring it back to the apple store.
    Last edited by jbrandonf; 2008-04-18 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

out of curiosity - if an iphone is jailbroken/unlocked and then restored to factory settings/firmware - can apple distinguish that it was ever unlocked, at all?

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes - some things can survive a regular restore. For instance, when I restored a phone on 1.1.3 regularly the custom carrier banner from MIM remained.

i have the same problem it suckkksss