Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One quick question...

Default One quick question...
    hi,
    I just need an honest answer from some people i can trust. My iphone is currently running version 1.0.2. and is not unlocked. If i restore it, then upgrade, will my phone become an expensive brick?

thanks,
    bryan

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Shouldn't, no. The only phones getting bricked were those unlocked for use with carriers other than AT&T. There are now unbricking solutions for these phones anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

BRG11292 (2007-10-24)

but just to clarify. there are lots of reports from people that do the upgrade to version 1.1.1 and then the phone don't work. the people at the genius bar then accuses the customer of trying to jailbreak or unlock their phone. look at the apple forums. there are a lot of people that report this.

but the straight answer is just like unclear said. you should not have a problem based on what you're first sentence says.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to catmando For This Useful Post:

BRG11292 (2007-10-24)

Quote Originally Posted by BRG11292 View Post
    hi,
    I just need an honest answer from some people i can trust. My iphone is currently running version 1.0.2. and is not unlocked. If i restore it, then upgrade, will my phone become an expensive brick?

thanks,
    bryan
    If you're correct in that it is NOT unlocked, why would upgrading it be a problem?

The only situations where upgrading will cause problems are those phones that have been unlocked under 1.0.2 with either iUnlock or AnySIM 1.0.2.

if you've done neither then you've nothing to worry about
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

And, like i said, I think even if you have applied these unlocks to your phone, there are now methods to reverse their effects (something involving the baseband)

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    but just to clarify. there are lots of reports from people that do the upgrade to version 1.1.1 and then the phone don't work. the people at the genius bar then accuses the customer of trying to jailbreak or unlock their phone. look at the apple forums. there are a lot of people that report this.

but the straight answer is just like unclear said. you should not have a problem based on what you're first sentence says.
    The cases of upgrades that brick a phone are generally caused by people who have had SIM problems: Used an irregular AT&T SIM or somehow had problems activating through iTunes initially

Apple and AT&T both recognize that these situations do occur (finally) and they do make exceptions for them and do honour the warranties on those phones
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette