Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4gb other capacity?

Default 4gb other capacity?
    okay so i'm using a 1.1.3 unlocked 8gb iPhone with t-mobile, and ever since yesterday it has shown that i have a little over 4gb with "other capacity"?? no music, no videos, the only things that stayed were the iphoto albums. even though i was just listening to music and watching videos just hours before. to tell the truth though i don't know how it became just..wiped clean like that.

anyway so i've been searching for answers for about an hour and have found nothing. i'm pretty much technology illiterate, so i have no idea what it means to i.e. restore through ziphone, etc.
    i tried putting it in recovery mode then unlocking, jailbreaking, activating etc. again but it still shows up with 4gb other capacity.

so yes basically i need a solution with pretty specific steps. that'd be wonderful. thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ever since yesterday? Well what did you do since yesterday that has altered your phone? any new apps?...

If you can't figure it out then you will want to RESTORE to 1.1.4 and then rejailbreak/unlock with iLiberty or Ziphone. When you plug it back into iTunes be sure and set the phone up as NEW... not from back-up. Your "other" space will be down to about 260MB

i have no idea; it just happened. this happened once before but i think it was just a glitch because a few minutes later the other capacity just turned into music and video.

alright so i click the restore thing that's in itunes and don't back it up? and it won't brick or anything right?

sorry for all the noobish questions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

A restore puts the phone back to factory settings. You will want to sync all your contacts and stuff before you restore so you can re-sync them back later.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

azwethinkweiz (2008-04-12)

awesome; it worked. thanks so much!

Default SSH => clean ApplicationArchives directory
    This problem probably occured whn you clicked cancel during a synchronization. The Iphone places all the synced files in a archive directory which occupies the 'others' capacity.

A restore is a drastical solution. It is better that you go via an sftp client with SSH to your Iphone. Then search for the directory /private/var/mobile/Media/ApplicationArchives. Here you can find all the archived files which you can delete to free up your capacity.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is it just me, or was this thread posted nearly 2 years ago?