Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [FIX] iPhone Virginzer - fix your seczone & NVRAM

is it normal that after restarting on the last step, there is no more wi fi or greyed out?

Quote Originally Posted by shiny-blanket View Post
    Took me a few hours, I hit the same problems as you. I do get my carrier name on the springboard, but youtube didn't work (fixed now).
    I'm not in a hurry to go through all that again. Next time i'll wait for a nice GUI app.

Ya, I hear ya! I also had problems figuring out usernames and passwords at the various stages then got smart and used independence to change my password once I figured it out.

Question for you....did you install Installer or Summerboard (or anything similar) as well? I The only extra icon I have on Springboard is Anysim (going to be soon removed) and I wasn't too sure about what would work and what wouldn't.

For those who are using Independence and thinking of updating to 1.1.1 and unlocking with Anysim....I found the easiest way to get Anysim onto the iPhone was simply to use Independence. It really is a great all-round tool!

any windows user? how did you manage to update to 1.1.1 after virginizing back the iphone?

only via itunes?

Quote Originally Posted by natzky View Post
    is it normal that after restarting on the last step, there is no more wi fi or greyed out?
    I don't know if it is 'normal' or not... but, I had the exact same issue. And, here's what I did to resolve it.

1) Completed the virginizer process, had greyed out issue with Wi-Fi.
    2) Opened iTunes, Performed an OPTION+CLICK restoration back to 1.0.2
    3) After the OPTION+CLICK restoration back to 1.0.2, the greyed out Wi-Fi issue was gone.

You could stop there, depending on your situation. For me, I then went on to:

4) Completely closed iTunes and used iNdependence v1.2.4to upgrade to 1.1.1, following the step-by-step that the iNdependence Help file contains, which is cool because you can keep the Help file window open the entire time you are stepping through the update process (I realize if you are not using a Mac, this doesn't help much... sorry, no Windows machines in this house anymore!)
    5) After upgrading to 1.1.1 using iNdependence, I used anySim v1.1 to unlock (not 1.0 or 1.0.2!).

NOTE: I had my T-Mobile SIM in the iPhone the entire time... from viriginizing to upgrading to re-unlocking under the 1.1.1 update.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by iPhoneWriter; 2007-10-21 at 05:07 PM.
    - iPhoneWriter.com

thanks for the reply iPhonewriter

im using windows vista, dont have a mac system here. any ideas how to?

I had the same thing happen during my process and followed the same steps you outline so I can confirm that it works. I did make the mistake of upgrading to 1.1.1 through iTunes first then trying to use Independence and that was a big mistake! I see that you put "upgrading to 1.1.1 using Independence" in bold and for those considering upgrading to 1.1.1, remember that this is the only way to successfully do so on a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneWriter View Post
    I don't know if it is 'normal' or not... but, I had the exact same issue. And, here's what I did to resolve it.

1) Completed the virginizer process, had greyed out issue with Wi-Fi.
    2) Opened iTunes, Performed an OPTION+CLICK restoration back to 1.0.2
    3) After the OPTION+CLICK restoration back to 1.0.2, the greyed out Wi-Fi issue was gone.
    4) I then completely closed iTunes and used iNdependence v1.2.4to upgrade to 1.1.1, following the step-by-step that the iNdependence Help file contains, which is cool because you can keep the Help file window open the entire time you are stepping through the update process (I realize if you are not using a Mac, this doesn't help much... sorry, no Windows machines in this house anymore!)
    5) After upgrading to 1.1.1 using iNdependence, I used anySim v1.1 (not 1.0 or 1.0.2!) to unlock.

NOTE: I had my T-Mobile SIM in the iPhone the entire time... from viriginizing to upgrading to re-unlocking under the 1.1.1 update.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CD65 View Post
    ...I did make the mistake of upgrading to 1.1.1 through iTunes first then trying to use Independence and that was a big mistake! ...
    • What was the end result, of upgrading to 1.1.1 in iTunes first?
    • What was your process to recover?
    • Are you on 1.1.1 and jailbreak'd / unlock'd now?
    - iPhoneWriter.com

The server is down. Anyone know if it is down for good or only a temporary thing?

So i see some of you guys have do it using a mac, please share a guide with the correct files for us to use.

Ups... it is bad - server is down - I'm in the middle of SimFree steps...

• What was the end result, of upgrading to 1.1.1 in iTunes first?
    • What was your process to recover?
    • Are you on 1.1.1 and jailbreak'd / unlock'd now?
    When I upgraded to 1.1.1 first, I was unable to successfully use Independence to "prepare for 1.1.1. I basically had an iPod with wifi. I had to then downgrade back to 1.0.2 and then upgrade to 1.1.1 via Independence.

The process to downgrade was simple since I had all the files necessary already. I simply used iTunes find my iPhone and shift-click to the 1.0.2 firmware. (Note: I used Windows to do the virginizing process and my Macbook to do the Independence part, upgrading to 1.1.1 and unlocking with Anysim.

Yes, I am now on 1.1.1, jaibroken and unlocked with Anysim. My IMEI is correct (showing the same as what is on the back of my iPhone and the firmware is 04.01.13_G.

so as of right now there is no step for virginizing process for mac users????

the Server Seems To Be Up Again!

Iphonewiter, how did you do the virginizing process on a mac???? can you give us noobs a hand here....

Quote Originally Posted by JMIGUELES View Post
    so as of right now there is no step for virginizing process for mac users????
    Quote Originally Posted by JMIGUELES View Post
    Iphonewiter, how did you do the virginizing process on a mac???? can you give us noobs a hand here....
    This method works as detailed, like a champ, on a Mac, as long as you can perform the mental translation of "use WinSCP" to "open terminal and type SCP" and things like that, one can follow the step-by-step without need for being on Windows... that is, except for one step, which is the creation of the XXXXX.bin_loader from the XXXXX.bin file.

For this step, and only this step, I had to enlist the assistance of a friend who does have windows. I simply emailed him my XXXXX.bin file and the "geomaker" file... in turn, instructing him make note of the directory where he saved the attachments, and to execute the "geomaker XXXXX.bin" command on his system. He then return-emailed me the required XXXXX.bin_loader file.

Other than that, this method provides Mac users a way to successfully migrate from a 1.0.2 unlock'd iPhone to a 1.1.1 updated, unlock'd and ready to rock iPhone (at least Intel Mac users, as iNdependence is absolutely necessary for Mac users to perform the 1.1.1 upgrade.)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by iPhoneWriter; 2007-10-21 at 06:31 PM.
    - iPhoneWriter.com

iPhoneWriter, I had asked this earlier of summer-blanket (think that was the name) and never got a reply. If he indeed took as long as I did to get up and running, then he is likely getting some well-deserved sleep.

Have you installed Installer or anything similar since upgrading to 1.1.1? What works and what does not work?

Quote Originally Posted by CD65 View Post
    Have you installed Installer or anything similar since upgrading to 1.1.1? What works and what does not work?
    Sleep, what's that..? Ask me about chocolate covered coffee beans, those I can tell you about.

In all seriousness, the only app's I have installed since the successful upgrade/unlock were the command line utilities in my "/usr/bin" directory (stuff like CURL, and CHMOD and MKDIR, LS, RM, etc.) so that poking around the iPhone file system is possible. All of these seem to be working just fine.

I haven't installed anything else, but would recommend only installing/using stuff that specifically states compatibility with the 1.1.1 release.

Other than that, I had trouble getting custom ringtones added, so I used the 30 day evaluation copy of iToner (which works great, fully functional) and setup iTunes to *not* sync Ringtones, so as to *not* wipeout any custom tones I add (not sure if this helps, or if it's just that version 1.0.4 of iToner doesn't have the "lost custom ringtones after syncing" issue.)

Hoe this helps.
    Last edited by iPhoneWriter; 2007-10-21 at 06:33 PM.
    - iPhoneWriter.com

Thanks

Careful this method replaces sections of the seczone with blank data, may be irreversable.

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Careful this method replaces sections of the seczone with blank data, may be irreversable.
    Please explain the position/theory in more detail, without fear of confusing NOOB's (as we're not all at that level.) Keep in mind that this process is using IPSF, during the step-by-step. Now, the DNS is re-routed so as to *not* actually use the IPSF servers to generate the unlock code/key, but the process is using the IPSF application none-the-less.

Considering that the original 1.0.2 unlock's caused problems with the 1.1.1 update, I would hope that anyone trying these things (a.k.a hacking their iPhone) does so with a mind that it is absolutely likely that future updates could cause problems. It kind of goes with out saying, or at least it should. The act of hacking a device, any device, brings with it certain levels of risk: namely, potential void of warranties (unless your really lucky or really clever should that time ever come) and the potential for damage to the hacked device.

That said, do you expect Apple to *manipulate* the seczone with future updates? If they needed to, wouldn't they just *overwrite* it completely instead of jacking with certain bits... unless of course, another round of iBrick'ing is the goal, in which case any unlock/re-virginize method is susceptible... even IPSF got jacked up with the 1.1.1 release.

Either way and even if the worse were to come with the next update, my iPhone is current, unlocked, and fully functional on the 1.1.1 release as a result of following this process. And, I am smart enough to keep my iPhone this way until long after any future update is released... at least, long enough to know exactly what to expect by reading the outcomes of the less-than-smart-upgrader's who don't wait.

Common sense? Yeah, and the exact same approach taken to avoid the entire 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1 update iBricking snafu/fiasco.
    Last edited by iPhoneWriter; 2007-10-21 at 07:15 PM.
    - iPhoneWriter.com

Thanks

Please explain the position/theory in more detail, without fear of confusing NOOB's (as we're not all at that level.) Keep in mind that this process is using IPSF, during the step-by-step. Now, the DNS is re-routed so as to *not* actually use the IPSF servers to generate the unlock code/key, but the process is using the IPSF application none-the-less.

Considering that the original 1.0.2 unlock's caused problems with the 1.1.1 update, I would hope that anyone trying these things (a.k.a hacking their iPhone) does so with a mind that it is absolutely likely that future updates could cause problems. It kind of goes with out saying, or at least it should. The act of hacking a device, any device, brings with it certain levels of risk: namely, potential void of warranties (unless your really lucky or really clever should that time ever come) and the potential for damage to the hacked device.

Just reading off TUAW link is here, could be some mindless reader saying this, or could actully be true.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/20/iphon...indows-posted/

But as you said, my phone works it makes calls and i can type a period in TWO DIFFERENT WAYS! What more could i possibly want.

That said, do you expect Apple to *manipulate* the seczone with future updates? If they needed to, wouldn't they just *overwrite* it completely instead of jacking with certain bits... unless of course, another round of iBrick'ing is the goal, in which case any unlock/re-virginize method is susceptible... even IPSF got jacked up with the 1.1.1 release.

Either way and even if the worse were to come with the next update, my iPhone is current, unlocked, and fully functional on the 1.1.1 release as a result of following this process. And, I am smart enough to keep my iPhone this until long after any future update is released... at least, long enough to know exactly what to expect by reading the outcomes of the less-than-smart-upgrader's who don't wait.

Common sense? Yeah, and the exact same approach taken to avoid the entire 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1 update iBricking snafu/fiasco.
    Just reading it off TUAW, could be a mindless reader just talking, or could be true.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/20/iphon...indows-posted/

But as you said, my phone works perfectly and i can now type a period in TWO DIFFERENT WAYS!!!! What more could i want in life.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast