Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [FIX] iPhone Virginzer - fix your seczone & NVRAM

i get a registration / license error message when running ipsf as described in this tutorial. Do i need a license for ipsf?

Quote Originally Posted by CD65 View Post
    Quick question...first of all I think everything went well even though I had to change directories a few times from what it stated in the guide. My main problem is that I don't know if I ever managed to shut down the CommCenter during the whole process. Now, after all is done and it appears to be fine, when I try to restart the CommCenter, I get "nothing found to load". Is this a problem?
    try installing launchctl gui through ibricker... den use it to launch the com.apple.CommCenter.plist... at 1st it seemed that it crashed when I used it... but checked again in it was launched... restart the phone den u shud hav a service now...

Default how do you run ipsf
    I followed all the instruction up to the part it said

run ipsf.

How do I do that?

I see a file named iUnlock from the virginized files I downloaded, but how do I run it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotathome View Post
    I followed all the instruction up to the part it said

run ipsf.

How do I do that?

I see a file named iUnlock from the virginized files I downloaded, but how do I run it?

Thanks.
    run in puTTY

Default Doh. Figure it out!
    I just follow the "word" version of the instruction - turn off the phone and restart. the icon for ipsf showed up and just hit the icon.

Stupid!!! (On my part)

Now, the question is, do I want to upgrade to 1.1.1?

Come on Virginizer App!! Where thou one click virginizer?!
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

!!!!!CONFIRMED - Add me to the list of successfully upgraded folks, did it twice for verification.

First off, I had an originally 1.0.2 phone activated, jailbroken, modded and unlocked with iUnlock.

If you're in a similar spot, before you begin the whole process it's best below reflash your baseband. If you don't know how, follow the steps in the downgrading baseband tutorial, specifically the ones pertaining to reflashing the 1.0.2 baseband onto your phone.

It will destroy your anySIM/iUnlock unlock and leave you with the 0449 IMEI, but that's alright. You'll need it to be this way for Simfree during the virginization process, as eluded to in step 5.

* I synced my phone with iTunes prior to doing this to have a good backup of my data. I also SFTP'd into the phone and backed up my 3rd party apps and data, so I could try to at least partially reload things like my lockbox data on 1.1.1.

Here's what I did:

1.) Followed this tutorial using XP in Parallels on an Intel Mac, making sure to download both the baseband files and the second package (as it contains the geomaker.exe file).

2.) Had error at the end of being unable to load the CommCenter- though it appeared to be unloaded while I performed the steps prior.

3.) Rebooted, and something wasn't quite right. It was slow. Glitchy. My phone didn't work. So I figured I'd have to restore in iTunes and start again.

4.) Restored in iTunes (1.0.2).

-5.) Activated using INdependence 1.2.4.

6.) What the? My phone was unlocked on Fido here in Canada!

7.) Hmm I thought, maybe it DID work, and I can go ahead with 1.1.1.

8.) Asked this question on this thread, and thanks to mxx2, I was told to GO AHEAD and start the 1.1.1 update process.

9.) NOTE- I DID NOT install installer or any other mod. I only activated.

10.) I followed this tutorial for going to 1.1.1, minus the steps for downgrading to 1.0.2.

11.) I then followed this tutorial for installing anySIM 1.1 and running it.

12.) As Steve Jobs would say 'Bang' I was done. Unlocked, on 1.1.1, and downloaded an album from the WiFi store for good measure.

13.) Lastly, I should mention I made a nice donation to the DevTeam for all their hard work, and you should too if you haven't already!
    Last edited by sentient_robot; 2007-10-21 at 08:46 AM.
    They say that freedom isn't free, but these days it's become the most damn expensive thing in the world.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having a problem where you put "./bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep" into Putty. It keeps saying "Error: Failed to download .FLS: Could not verify downloaded image." I don't know why... I've done EVERYTHING up to the T and i get this every time. I've made sure I've done everything right, recopied files to make double sure, etc. Any suggestions from someone who's HAD this problem and got around it?? Kinda in need of my phone! I think I may have bricked it....
    Last edited by scidsecret; 2007-10-21 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Is my seczone permanently damaged?
    I followed the instructions with an original AT&T SIM and everything seemed to work fine. The phone went into recovery mode, iTunes upgraded it to 1.1.1 and after a short while, it activated again. I can make and received calls on it and Youtube etc works.

However, a commenter on TUAW seems to suggest that this approach now did something irrevocable to the seczone, that may make it harder to upgrade again moving forward:
    6. Nice, I hope the people who use this enjoy their seczone being filled with 0s.
    ...and...
    8. @ Brennan Tallack
    Nah, IPSF is only used to upload the seczone. This method is not the same as IPSF.

Geohot was just too lazy to code his own program to upload the seczone.
    Can someone in the know comment on the veracity of this? I though the whole point of step 3.4 was to create a new seczone that was customized for your IMEI, just like the original factory state.

After all, it was able to recover and install 1.1.1 through iTunes. Why would this potentially not work for future upgrades?

iPhone? More like MyPhone shadow_cruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scidsecret View Post
    I'm having a problem where you put "./bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep" into Putty. It keeps saying "Error: Failed to download .FLS: Could not verify downloaded image." I don't know why... I've done EVERYTHING up to the T and i get this every time. I've made sure I've done everything right, recopied files to make double sure, etc. Any suggestions from someone who's HAD this problem and got around it?? Kinda in need of my phone! I think I may have bricked it....
    I haven't had this problem but it looks like the files aren't in the right place or the permissions weren't set to 0755.

Quote Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
    I followed the instructions with an original AT&T SIM and everything seemed to work fine. The phone went into recovery mode, iTunes upgraded it to 1.1.1 and after a short while, it activated again. I can make and received calls on it and Youtube etc works.

However, a commenter on TUAW seems to suggest that this approach now did something irrevocable to the seczone, that may make it harder to upgrade again moving forward:

...and...

Can someone in the know comment on the veracity of this? I though the whole point of step 3.4 was to create a new seczone that was customized for your IMEI, just like the original factory state.

After all, it was able to recover and install 1.1.1 through iTunes. Why would this potentially not work for future upgrades?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with this virginizer. There's a lot of "beef" going around between ELITE and DEV teams. Word out on the street is DEV team will release "their version" in a few days. One thing I wanted to say is Geohot is a VERY respectable coder and is responsible for the initial hardware unlock's. He was gone for awhile but is back now

Nobody knows even if IPSF nor anySIM unlock will work with future upgrades. I would say its a 99.5% chance the next upgrade won't work with current solutions because the TIFF exploit will be patched. Of course there are other ways but that will be fixed too

Sounds like an over-zealous commenter. Truth is, I followed the tutorial to re-virginize, I restored in iTunes, went up to 1.1.1, downgraded to 1.0.2, and did IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

I was unlocked on 1.0.2 twice, and now am happily on 1.1.1. There's nearly nothing that can't be restored through software. The question is only does the software modification cause damage over time or in usage of the modem function? At this point it would appear not for most people. And even if there was a problem for some, how can you be totally sure it's not a coincidence, and actually some other hardware issue- there's quite a few people who've had wifi or phone issues who are completely locked and have never modded a thing.
    They say that freedom isn't free, but these days it's become the most damn expensive thing in the world.

Thanks

you should read:

http://www.tuaw.com/

Not very nice news.

hi all,
    my iphone is showing 'no Wi-Fi' in grey...
    may i know what wrong with my iphone?

i cannot get ipsf to work!!! I just get the error "unlock failed..... Contact your reseller"

Anybody got any ideas

ok so i virginized my iphone. i'm 1.0.2 still and i no longer have t-mobile service. what do i do next?

Hi All,

I used this guide yesterday to successfully re-virginise my 1.02 iPhone that had previously been been unlocked with Unlock.app. I noticed some points where the instructions weren't as clear as they could be and a couple of typos. Here are my comments.

1. In step 2, part 2:

Now connect to your iphone using Putty, navigate to the root directory of your iphone by typing [b]/.[/] then execute
    Typing "pwd" (without the quotes) and hitting return will tell you where in the directory structure you are. You can then navigate up the directory structure by typing "cd .." (again, without the quotes) and hitting return for each level you want to climb. For this step, you'll need to do it twice.

2. In step 3, part 3:

it won't work if your flash isn't original so bbupdate first
    This seems a bit vague! Indeed, for me it didn't work and SimFree froze my phone! I ended up reflashing my baseband as described here from step 10 on. I was then able to proceed.

3. In step 3, part 5a:

cmd and change the dir to where you have saved the file you downlaoded.. "example: for me it was Ciphone\revirginizer"
    This was a little confusing for a habitual Mac user struggling with windows, but all it means is go to the start menu, and click run. Then type "cmd" and hit return. This opens up a window similar to putty and you can then navigate by typing "cd Ciphone\revirginizer" or wherever you put all the bits. Note that the slashes run the wrong way when you're in windows!

4. In step 4, part b:

You have to execute this command:

/bin/launchctl unload -w/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
    There's a typo. It should be:

/bin/launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
    (with a space between "-w" and "/system/...")

IIRC, I got an error message telling me that the process didn't exist (or words to that effect). I just carried on. After all, I was intending to overwrite the entire system later on. (Thanks to natzky for reminding me)

5. I think that's all the bugs I ran into. Just make sure that you use Independence 1.2.4 to re-install all the bits and pieces and prep your phone for the upgrade via iTunes.
    Last edited by cal6n; 2007-10-21 at 07:34 PM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by ReVan View Post
    There is NO command such as launchctl remove its launchctl unload -w Please read the text correctly!
    I also got the same error says NO SUCH PROCESS.
    and there IS launchctl remove command
    and there IS launchctl load command

what to do next ? ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by ReVan View Post
    The iPhone VirginMaker

Fix your corrupt seczon and NVRAM.
    3. Run IPSF; it won't work if your flash isn't original so bbupdate first(the fw version doesn't matter)
    a. it will say invalid token/error update token, this is normal
    b. if it says something else, that isn't normal

what if it hangs/freeze/no respond for 30mins, can I hit home button and get out?
    what is supposed to be on the screen when running IPSF?
    Last edited by wawawa11; 2007-10-21 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I can confirm this works 100%.

Previously had a 1.0.2, iUnlock, iphone.

On my desk sits a 1.1.1 unlocked (with anysim 1.1). I have retained my IMEI number.

The only issue withstanding is youTube no longer works. Is this common, any fixes out there?

edit: Some general notes to help people navigate in putty:

cd /. - navigates up a level
    chdir 'x' - change directory (replace x with folder name).
    ls - lists what files/folder
    Last edited by shiny-blanket; 2007-10-21 at 01:56 PM.

after I did the process, I go to General -> about and I don't even see my MODEM.It doesn't seem to read the sim card any more. what happen.. HELP HELP

@wawawa11

try pressing the red apple icon in the IPSF screen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i also have the same problem in step 4, part B

it says NO SUCH PROCESS...

any help?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast