Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A method for Virginizing your baseband

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A method for Virginizing your baseband
    This method seems to say "break it before you restore it" for restoring baseband to a VIRGIN state. The theory is that itunes will restore everything if the bb is corrupted enough. Has anyone tried this ?
    Thoughts ?

Found the following here

Key point: RELOADING FROM ITUNES WILL NOT VIRGINIZE YOUR PHONE and BBUPDATE will not restore your baseband to a VIRGIN state!

bbupdater -e ICE03.14.08_G.eep and bbupdater -f ICE03.14.08_G.fls will NOT COMPLETELY RE-FLASH YOUR BASEBAND!!! Contrary to popular opinion, your phone is NOT virgin when you flash with bbupdater and then do a iTunes restore. There is a 10 byte checksum difference in the phones memory between what Apple loads and what bbupdater flashes. Only iTunes can accurately re-flash the baseband. When you do the restore in iTunes, you want iTunes to think your phone has suffered a fatal blow – so unless you actually see the reloading firmware window (and you will notice, it takes about 10 minutes) then you have only reloaded the flash memory. To force a firmware reload (guaranteed) in iTunes you must first completely corrupt and disable your baseband firmware. Easiest way to do this is to reverse flash the baseband...

bbupdater -f *.eep (mash round peg into square hole)

bbupdater -e *.fls (mash square peg into round hole)

then reboot into restore mode, fire up iTunes and plug it in

... the reverse flash will mess things up so badly that iTunes does a COMPLETE and REAL virginization of the iPhone. Accept no substitute! It will not reset your unlock attempts - but it fixes the problem with the byte offsets in the loaded / modified / bbupdated firmware. bbupdate will re-flash your firmware but it won't make your phone a virgin again – only iTunes can, and only when iTunes thinks your phone is so screwed up that it reloads the bios, the complete baseband AND all flash memory.

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried this. Seems to confirm what I've been saying for a while, that current 'virginization' methods don't actually fix the baseband issue. I've tested the standard baseband reset method twice now, and it is still impossible to upgrade to 1.1.1 without the 'Incorrect SIM' error. This results in the need to do a 1.0.2 restore and baseband repair to return to operational phone status.

The big problem I see with what RC OZ has posted is that it seems to be a pretty 'blunt trauma' solution that might PERMANENTLY fark up the baseband giving you a real iBrick.

Also, I thought that all software modifications that iTunes provide during upgrade were contained in the .ipsw package. That means that if this WERE true, than the solution is contained in the current package.

Any thoughts??
    Last edited by Gazoo; 2007-10-18 at 10:30 AM.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Thanks

did you care to read the sticky on this forum??

Default I certainly hope you're not talking to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVan View Post
    did you care to read the sticky on this forum??
    Yes, I've read your numerous "stickies". The method you indicate does not truly virginize. I wish people would stop using it in that manner.

I test because I want to help people who have jumped in without knowing what they're doing because they read some bogus "sticky" Its called real-world scenario testing.

There are a lot of people who would like to go from an unlocked 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. I'm simply trying to test out possibilities.

Once again, the virginization method you outlined does not work for this purpose.

So either comment on the thread or move on
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    Also, I thought that all software modifications that iTunes provide during upgrade were contained in the .ipsw package. That means that if this WERE true, than the solution is contained in the current package.

Any thoughts??
    This would seem obvious, as Apple can rewrite the baseband at will, locking everyone out. What's not so obvious is how do they do it. That's the whole trick of hacking.

I heard this moto in the 70's and its still true today:

Anything that can be done with software, can be undone with software.

While obvious, the question is "is it true?"

Do you know if a iTunes baseband restore is contained within the ipsw or comes as a second download if iTunes senses it needs it? That is the question.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    While obvious, the question is "is it true?"

Do you know if a iTunes baseband restore is contained within the ipsw or comes as a second download if iTunes senses it needs it? That is the question.
    The baseband files have always been stored within the ipsw's, I don't see why this would change for 1.1.1

All you need to do is unzip, mount and fetch em.

There has to be something more to it, else the bbupdater would truly give a fresh baseband, which I am convinced it does not. Otherwise a bbupdater + 1.0.2 FW restore would give an ATT account holder a fresh phone ( with maybe a reactivation necessary) that is capable of a 1.1.1 upgrade. This is not the case. It returns the bogus IMEI of 044.... And the invalid sim error. Dev Team Elite indicates the bogus IMEI is from bad original baseband flashing code and the above link indicated a checksum discrepany even after using bbupdater.

This wouldnt happen if the phone was truly virgin.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

ah yeah this one . . . . I might give it a shot later, might not, seems like a last resort method to me. If anyone trys it and has success post back

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i should have searched before i posted this in Modding in OS X but i am under the impression that it is a second download that iTunes gets once it finds that the phone has completely A-WALL.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

naw, it wouldn't be in another file since the 1.0.2 baseband is included in the 1.0.2 file. It would just utilize them when it sees the baseband is totally screwed. Of course im not sure if I want to take the risk atm

Thanks

If you have luck as bad as mine, you'll get stuck halfway across the pond, and your iPhone will laugh at you as it crashes and leaves you in a depressed, molten heap of woe.
    good luck

I have an spare anysim 1.0.2 unlocked iphone. Sounds fishy, but i'll give it whirl any way...

I will edit with my findings.

Update 1: -bricked via intentional failed upgrade to 1.1.1
    -downgraded to 1.0.2 via iTunes/AppTapp
    -activated with PACAY
    -currently erasing baseband

Update 2: - reverse flash gets stuck in loop, ^C to end loop.
    - regular restore did not solve, trying dfu mode restore
    Last edited by amnesia; 2007-10-19 at 12:44 AM.

Amnesia

Thanks for volunteering. Be as complete as you can with your report!
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Amnesia You are brave, But I am sure everybody will back me when I say tahnk you for putting your phone on the line for us. And I am egerly waiting the results.

im gonna try this out also, my wifi got screwed when i was messing with the baseband, i hope this can fix it.. ive tried everything, updating, resetting the baseband, downgrading, i can unlcok the phone no problem, just a greyed out "NO WiFi"

uggggg

Update 1: -bricked via intentional failed upgrade to 1.1.1
    -downgraded to 1.0.2 via iTunes/AppTapp
    -activated with PACAY
    -currently erasing baseband

Update 2: - reverse flash gets stuck in loop, ^C to end loop.

Update 3: no good. My IMEI is now 004999010640000. Fixable by correctly flashing the baseband. I don't believe that any flashing actually takes place when trying the reverse.

I got "Cannot retrieve version info...." and invalid offset messages and it just continuosly loops.

so you followed teh steps and you dont think anything happened? and now your phone is fine?

Hi,

I would just like to comment on this. I've upgraded to 1.1.1 just for testing and used the iTunes/AppTapp method as described in http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dow...1_to_1.0.2_OSX to downgrade my fireware to 1.0.2.
    Afterwards I have used the latest iNdependence 1.2.4 to prepare for the 1.1.1 upgrade: "Pre 1.1.1 Upgrade" After this step I was able to upgrade to 1.1.1 with iTunes. This worked fine and iNdependence can also activate and jailbreak my iphone. However the latest anySIM 1.1 could not unlock my iphone. It runs ok and it states that the iphone is unlock, but i doedn't actually work.
    All other non-GSM functions like iTunes store, YouTube, Wifi are working fine.

The anySIM 1.1 application failed because my iphone was not originally shipped with the 1.1.1 firmware as required. It was previously unlock as 1.0.2.

Conclusion, the problem is not that you need to "virginize" your iphone for upgrading to firmware 1.1.1 (this will work using the prep by iNdependence). The problem is that you need to truly "virginize" before you can use anySIM 1.1 !!

As mentioned I've tried this myself...

jamado, this disccusion is different than what your mentioning here. your pretty much just regurgitating what the devs told up, DO NOT UPDATED THE PHONE.. but thanks for the input

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast