Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Let me make this SIMPLE!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Let me make this SIMPLE!
    Scenario:

1) Take 1-iPhone, purchased on iDay, with 1.0 firmware, activated with iTunes to AT&T

2) Updated to 1.0.1 with iTunes

3) Updated to 1.0.2 with iTunes

4) Jailbroken with AppTap-programs added with Installer and iBrickr- mods made to themes, background, ringtones, etc.

5) Updated to 1.1.1 thru iTunes (inadvertantly).

6) Downgraded back to 1.0.2 using the method here at MMI and again jailbroken by that method to be able to once again add apps, themes, ringtones, etc.

7) Again modded by adding apps thru Installer and iBrickr; custom themes, backgrounds, ringtones, etc

8) NEVER un-locked or attempted to un-lock

Question: Will again updating this phone to 1.1.1 now, make this a totally "clean" or "virginized" phone, as if it had been purchased with 1.1.1 on it already? Or, will there remain remnants of apps, themes, etc, that could someday possibly be used as a "clue" by Apple updates to know this phone was once modded?

If you choose to restore (not from a backup), all mods will be gone. You will have a factory fresh phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pmas View Post
    If you choose to restore (not from a backup), all mods will be gone. You will have a factory fresh phone.
    Restore? With 1.0.2 (not from backup)? Or, Update, to 1.1.1? I'm confused.

If you are at the 1.0.2 firmware and update to 1.1.1 all apps and 3rd party mods will be gone. There will still be little bits and peices of your apps here and there, Because my lights off game saved its location when I updated to the 1.1.1 firmware from 1.0.2. But as far as apple detecting it from the 1.1.1 firmware. No. If you update there will be nothing for apple to look at...Assuming you did not unlock.

Thanks

Ha, there's nothing simple about this process. Thanks Apple!

Update = install 1.1.1, remnants of "hacking" still on phone
    Restore = install 1.1.1, no remnants of hacking on the phone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxjoebreadxx View Post
    If you are at the 1.0.2 firmware and update to 1.1.1 all apps and 3rd party mods will be gone. There will still be little bits and peices of your apps here and there, Because my lights off game saved its location when I updated to the 1.1.1 firmware from 1.0.2. But as far as apple detecting it from the 1.1.1 firmware. No. If you update there will be nothing for apple to look at...Assuming you did not unlock.

Okay, that's just the thing. My interest here, is in attempting to make an entirely "clean" iPhone, without little "bits and pieces" of things left over; or maybe, more precisely stated, I want to know if that's possible. So, if I once again upgrade to 1.1.1 from what is now 1.0.2 (with the baseband from 1.1.1 because it was once previously updated to 1.1.1), there is the possibility of those little "bits and pieces" remaining.

What would happen, if I first removed all the apps I have installed, either thru Installer or iBrickr, then restored it to 1.0.2, prior to upgrading to 1.1.1? Would that restoration "take", since AppTap was required to "downgrade" it? I am asking, what would happen at the very end of that restoration process to 1.0.2, where before it would not complete without using AppTap? I'm pretty thoroughy confused by all of this speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
    Update = install 1.1.1, remnants of "hacking" still on phone
    Restore = install 1.1.1, no remnants of hacking on the phone

Huh? Don't understand your second line there: "Restore = install 1.1.1, no remnants of hacking on the phone remain". Maybe you meant to say "restore AND install 1.1.1"? If so, can I really restore to 1.0.2 from my current "downgraded" version of 1.0.2? I mean, since I used the AppTap in the final stages of this "downgrade" will it really accept or be able to take a restoration?

My phone is now ON 1.0.2, (but WAS previously 1.1.1 for about 2 days). However, it is a "downgraded" 1.0.2 (from 1.1.1), NOT a "real" 1.0.2 (meaning I needed to use AppTap to complete the deal.

UGH!!! For TRYING to keep this SIMPLE, it sure has become convoluted.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 2007-10-17 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost