Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boot Image Tutorial

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [How To Any Image a Bootable Image] CS2-3 Boot Image Tutorial
    Ok I’ve been asked to create a turorial on creating a boot image to work in PWNing... Although I’ve seen a few, the ones I’ve seen don’t address the biggest issue. The biggest issue of corse is the file SIZE (The 100KB limit) This tutorial is to help you to make ANY 320X480 image meet that requirement...

Step 1:
    Import or open your 320 X 480 @ 96 dpi image. This is the optimal size and MUST be at least 96dpi but any thing over 96dpi is pretty much a waste and below 96dpi will not work..

Step 2:
    Convert it to a paletted color format.. In most cases a 256 color format is ok, but you may need to drop it down to 128 colors. Save as a PNG file, making sure it is smaller than 100KB

OK that’s the generic version now here’s the walk thru in CS2..
    I’m using CS2 simply because I like the way it exports PNG’s You can use any program that gives you FULL control over the color palette, you can use programs that give you preset number of colors (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256) but depending on your image, it might not be as good and you could run into file size constraints and or poor quality images ..

Step 1:
    Open your 320X480 96dpi image.

Step 2:
    Under file select “Save For Web” - The reason you want to use the “save for Web” feature is because it gives you a real time account of the file size as you make any changes.

Step 3:
    Select PNG-8

Step 4:
    Play with the color selection processes and the dithering process to find one that looks the best.

Try to keep the number of colors at 256.

Step 5:
    Before you save it! The image size must be at or below 63.0 K If not, it will be to big!
    You can change the image file size by either changing the color selection process (image #4)
    or by lowering the number of colors (image #5) Try the color selection process first then number of colors, even the dithering will make a difference (tho not a lot). You can lower the number of colors just by a few (like from 256 to 250) to help out too. Don't forget, it will look better on the smaller screen of your phone then it does right now..

Step 6:
    When it is below 63.0K Click Save and you’re done..

Note: As of 3.13.09 this is working fine for LogoMe
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2009-03-13 at 04:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beva922's Avatar
    Thanks

So id do this before jailbreaking, or is there a way to change an already jail broken iphone's boot logo?

Thanks

You'd have to do it before. Winpwn used to let you add it later, but I don't think that's a feature anymore.

@E-DRAGON

Can I PLEASE download your final Boot Image sexy sample

THANKS

Thanks

search for babe boot images.

Thanks

For those of you who want that boot image I used in the tutorial you can get her HERE
    She's all ready to go, you can just PWN her

Another one HERE
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2008-09-06 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

When I create my image it is RGB, 2 Layers. When I open up your image it's Indexed, 1 Layer. How do I make mine like yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    When I create my image it is RGB, 2 Layers. When I open up your image it's Indexed, 1 Layer. How do I make mine like yours?
    In Adobe or Corel ? I usually make (and edit) all my images in Photo-Paint X4 Because I know all of that program and it handles images much easier and better than Adobe (But they both do pretty much the same thing) So I take it you want to know in CS2 or 3... Simple; under “Layer” (at the top of the window) bring up the sub menu, then “Flatten Image” or you can right click NEXT to the thumb in the layers window/tab and flatten image there too.. Also; I might add, that just saving a image as a BMP,JPG (or the like) will also flatten that image - not all formats will allow layering

Hope this helps you..
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2008-08-31 at 08:51 PM.

Good lookin.....def. using

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terrill View Post
    Good lookin.....def. using
    LOL thanks

Thanks

There seems to be an issue with 2.1 and boot sceens, as soon as Winpwn is updated to handle 2.1 I'll adjust the tutorial to reflect the new file size(?) constraints. But for now this will work fine for the older firmware...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

very nice. will there be a tutorial for all the unfortunate ppl who cant afford photoshop??
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsidewayzz View Post
    very nice. will there be a tutorial for all the unfortunate ppl who cant afford photoshop??
    You should get a program called Gimp. It is free and super functional. I do not know if it is available for Mac, but it says you use XP also and it is supported by XP.

So what happens if you decide to Merge layers instead of Flattening them? Is there a difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You should get a program called Gimp. It is free and super functional. I do not know if it is available for Mac, but it says you use XP also and it is supported by XP.

So what happens if you decide to Merge layers instead of Flattening them? Is there a difference?
    Nope no diff, PNG files will not save in layers it will automatically flatten the image, you can, how ever, save masks. The reason to flatten the image is just to make sure all the layers are in the correct order and the final image is what you want...