Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: please help. settings icon disappeared, ideas?

Default please help. settings icon disappeared, ideas?
    i know i just posted about this. but people seemed to stop replying.

WHAT IF i delete the preferences.app info.plist file, that contains the hidden attribute. (i just learned that from the "poof" program, which hides your icons. it doesnt have the settings icon to unhide though.)

now i know with my apple laptop, when i delete a .plist file, all i have to do is restart the computer and it will generate a factory settings .plist file, which would hopefully bring my icon back right? i've found the preferences.app file, so i know it is stil there, just not showing up. and i cant move the file or anything. anyone think this will work, or is it a bad idea? i really dont want to restore my phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you dont' have to start another thread just because people stopped replying. you can always bump your thread by entering another post/reply

it sounds like you had just restored and rejailbroke and ran into this problem. it also sounded like you didn't do a clean ctrl/option + restore. did you hit update instead in itunes when you did this process? none of the apps you've previous installed should be on your phone after you restore and rejailbreak the proper way and that may be the problem with why your settings icon isn't showing up. (i'm assuming since you said you just jailbroke and you're deleting apps you no longer need. they shouldn't be there if you've just jailbroken your phone)

if that's the case, doing a clean restore, the right way, may help