Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Very strange iPhone problem, please help

Default Very strange iPhone problem, please help
    I've never read about this problem before but it's happening to my iPhone. My configs are: refurbished 8GB bought last month from AT&T, came with 1.1.3, I ziPhoned (using ZiPhone 2.5c) it and upgraded to 1.1.4, using it on TMO with tzones. I didn't install a lot of programs, just the SSH, BSD subsystem, Pocket Guitar, and the tzones hack.

The problem started last week, when I was browsing the internet on Edge. Suddenly, the screen flashed and it looked like the phone was trying to reboot by itself, the boot screen with the apple logo came up, but the weirdest thing is the logo color was distorted, in stead of just the silver color, now there were areas with pinkish color in them. I held down the Home button and the power button, nothing changed, after a few minutes, the color became silver again and the phone was back to normal. At the time, I thought it was probably a one time thing.

Well, it happened again later, this time I was watching Youtube on wifi, the screen flashed (like when your TV screen rolls when you have bad signal), the weird color logo appeared again. I tried to reboot, nothing happened. After a few minutes, the phone was back to normal.

Today it happened again just when I hung up after a phone call. This time the pinkish color areas didn't go away for about 10 minutes. The phone is back to normal now but I'm really worried that something is wrong.

Can someone offer some advice? TIA

Btw, I also have another problem, every once in a while, the signal would reboot itself (Full signal --> 1 bar --> No service --> back to normal). Appreciate your input on this also.
    Last edited by ht1948; 2008-03-30 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I haven't heard of this problem before.. definitely not normal if it's a repeat event. The best thing to do if it gets really annoying is to restore back to 1.1.4. Then I'd use iLiberty to re-unlock/jailbreak/activate and use the custom payloads to install BSD & SSH.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can you not return it to AT&T? if you can, you should, otherwise do what poseidon said, and hopefully it should be ok! i did it just yesterday and it runs great, just make sure u have the latest version of ziphone (3.0 i beleive was just released today) which u can find from www.ziphone.org., and the 1.1.4 restore file.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aemreunal's Avatar
    Thanks

You said you have a refurbished iPhone. My guess is that they didn't repair it properly (probbably there was a problem with its motherboard and/or screen) so now it's gone haywire. Return it immediatly to AT&T and tell them that your iPhone hasn't been refurbished properly and is still damaged.
    For everytime I had a penny when I said "Use the goddamned search button instead of opening a new thread", I would've made Bill Gates my maid.

Proud owner of an iPhone of which I erased the bootloader one time and the baseband many times just for fun, had the endless reboot cycle like 5 freakin' times and now doesn't work with firmwares lower than 1.1.3

I can't return the phone since it has been unlocked/Jailbroken and I'm using it with TMO. If there's a way around it, please let me know. I heard iLiberty+ is currently the best tool to unlock/jailbreak. is it correct? Should I restore the phone and then use iLiberty+ to "do it all" instead of using ZiPhone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well im sure you can erase it to return it back to its original state so you can return it...when you first opened it, did it come in recovery mode? even if thats so, you can erase it, leave it in recovery mode, and explain to the store that this it what it does all the time...i think u should be ok anyways...

well, I bought the phone over a month ago so I can't return it to AT&T. The only route is Apple but they will question me since I don't have an AT&T account and since I used ZiPhone, the baseband has been downgraded to 3.9.