Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Car integration cable?

Default Car integration cable?
    Does anyone ahve any experience using a cable such as this one? My main question is will using this type of charger shorten the life expectancy of my battery since it doesnt have any kind of logic circuitry to it. Would I be better off soldering the 12V leads onto a cigarette lighter charger plug that has the circuitry built in and using it that way? Or am I being overly worried about this? I plan to either build a custom dock using the plug as the dock connector, or just integrate a standard universal dock into the car and plug that wire into it.
    Last edited by reyalp411; 2008-03-28 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks

dont do anything stupid so you dont wreck your phone.
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if you want your phone charging even when the car is off, tap into the battery power cable that feeds your head unit, or better yet, most fuse boxes have an unused terminal from the battery, and from accessory power (only 12v when the car is on). i would assume that like other ipods, if you leave it plugged in all the time it's going to damage your battery life, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    dont do anything stupid so you dont wreck your phone.
    What about my post in any way inferred doing something "stupid" ?

Quote Originally Posted by jealous soul View Post
    if you want your phone charging even when the car is off, tap into the battery power cable that feeds your head unit, or better yet, most fuse boxes have an unused terminal from the battery, and from accessory power (only 12v when the car is on). i would assume that like other ipods, if you leave it plugged in all the time it's going to damage your battery life, regardless.
    I wont be charging it when the car is off.I mainly was referring to the voltage coming thru the charger when it was in use. Good point about it always charging though. After further thought I think it would be wise to solder the 12V lead onto the cig charger. If for no other reason then I would be able to unplug the charger , but still use the dock to input the sound to my head unit. Plus I already have an extra female cig lighter plug hard wired in my glove box that I could use.
    Last edited by reyalp411; 2008-03-28 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost